PDA

View Full Version : iPod battery question

Etrain
Mar 7, 2005, 09:09 AM
I bought an iPod mini the day they were revised. I got it Friday and have been playing with it and LOVE IT! There is a problem though. I bought it because it boasted a 18 hour battery life. I ran a test where I ran it on suffle without touching any buttons or anything and it ran out at 9 hours. Could I have gotten one of the old ones by mistake? Should I call Apple?

It is the 4GB silver model.

Thanks!

Chaszmyr
Mar 7, 2005, 09:11 AM
You could tell the difference between the new and old model by the box, but chances are there's no mistake, and nothing you can really do about it.

Spock
Mar 7, 2005, 09:21 AM
Im not sure but I think that Shuffle makes the Hard Drive Spin more and will run the battery down faster. Try just playing You songs list on the iPod and see what happens.

Bear
Mar 7, 2005, 09:43 AM
The way to tell the old from the new is also the accessories in the box. Did it come with both a firewire and a USB cable? Or just a USB cable?

If it came with just the USB cable, it should be the new one.

Did you let the iPod charge up fully + a couple of hours on the charger? (Uninterupted charging.) You may need to run the battery through a full cycle or two before the battery life is optimal. And once every two or three months, you should be sure to drain the iPod battery and recharge it fully.

robbieduncan
Mar 7, 2005, 10:03 AM
What bit rate have you encoded your music at? Higher bit rates will give you lower battery life (as the disk will have to spin up more to keep the cache memory full). Are you using shuffle mode? What is the backlight set to?

The 18 hour life is quoted for backlight off, not on shuffle, 128kbs (AAC, not MP3 I think).