PDA

View Full Version : iPad Speaker Amplification Accessory Review

MarximusMG
Apr 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
So I was just contacted by a guy today who asked me to do a review of an accessory that he's made for the iPad 2. From the sounds of it, its a pretty interesting concept. Apparently, it attaches to the speaker side of the iPad and amplifies the sound. Sounds like it would produce the same result that cupping your hand behind the speaker would, but would be nice to be able to hold the iPad comfortably and get more power from the speakers. He said he would send it to me if I did a review of it. I'm interested, and think I'll bite. What do you guys think?*

boshii
Apr 22, 2011, 09:57 PM
I don't think it will do well if it works the way I think it does.

Will it be sticking out from the iPad? I can't imagine anybody would be willing to deal with that for better sound.

MarximusMG
Apr 22, 2011, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I know what you're saying, but apparently it's pretty small and doesn't add any bulk to the iPad.

benjayman2
Apr 22, 2011, 11:08 PM
Look forward to the review.

Shawnpk
Apr 23, 2011, 12:31 AM
Seems like it would have to be part of a case. Maybe with a reflector that redirects the sound out the side instead of out the back.

dtommyd
May 5, 2011, 03:45 AM
I've wanted some kind of a reflector horn (?) that is fairly flat with channels. I'm so pissed about the iPad 2 speaker and the way the data cord works. Huge step backwards if you ask me. I've also tried covering the speaker with tape to use the iPad as the speaker. The tape trick sounded a lot better on iPad 1. I wouldn't mind a channel thingy with mini suction cups. I did a family FaceTime with my iPad and had to hold my hand the whole time, cupping it on the speaker. The coolest, best multimedia player / creator of all time with the worst speaker of all time. Really Apple? Seriously, this is my last iPad ever if the speaker isn't improved on #3. And I'm not being dramatic. And if I hear 1 more person tell me to get an external speaker, their getting punched.
Sorry so ranty.

MarximusMG
May 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone - quick update on this accessory.

I've gotten more information from the guy about it, and have been told that it's been sent. The tracking information shows that it should be to me by tomorrow.

He also gave me more details about the product, along with a couple of links regarding it. Looks like the first one is a link to the Kickstarter page where he is getting funding to be able to manufacture the device. Also shows pictures of the thing, which is nice to see what it looks like.

Second link is apparently to TUAW, where they featured the accessory today. I'll try to get a review posted tomorrow when it arrives.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/498101635/soundjaw-ipad-2-sound-booster-and-audio-enhancer

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/16/roundup-of-kickstarter-apple-related-projects-for-5-16/#continued

nkawal
May 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
I backed this on kickstarter. Looks nice.

3goldens
May 17, 2011, 12:47 AM
can't wait to read the review.

MarximusMG
May 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hey everyone-

So I received the accessory today in the mail. My review is below:

------------------------------------------------------

Impressions

I was sent a black SoundJaw for review. Up until yesterday, I had no idea what the product looked like. The links I posted previously showed pictures of it pretty accurately, so I didn't post one here. Obviously, as an owner of Apple products, the appearance of my devices is very important to me. I can confirm that, while it obviously does add a little bit to the side of the iPad, it is pretty slim and doesn't distract extensively from the gorgeous design of the iPad.

On a similar note, when the iPad is being held in portrait mode, the SoundJaw doesn't feel uncomfortable if your hand is covering it. And in landscape mode, the accessory isn't in the way at all.

Additionally, I was actually surprised at how well it fit on the iPad. There is no "click" or "snap" when the device is put on the iPad, but rather it just slides onto the edge. I was also curious as to how well it would stay on, but I can say that there would be no issues with it falling off. It grips the iPad quite nicely.

It works just like I expected it to. As the sound exits the rear of the iPad, it reflects off of the SoundJaw and towards the user. While I was expecting this to happen, I was pretty surprised with how much louder it really made the volume. I had to actually turn down the volume of the music that was playing when I first put it on.

Conclusion

I'd buy one. It's definitely a simple product that I was a little skeptical of at first. But it does what it says it will. I've often found myself cupping my hand around the speaker when I'm watching YouTube or movies, and while that isn't necessarily the end of the world, this device completely eliminates the need to do that. I can see it being even more useful in situations where the iPad is being used with a stand, in which case you wouldn't want to have to hold your cupped hand around the back.

If you have an iPad and also frequently find yourself straining to hear things you're watching or listening to, I'd say it'd be a good buy for you too.

------------------------------------------------------

If you guys have any specific questions that I didn't answer in this review, let me know and I'll try to do my best to describe more of it to you.

MarximusMG
May 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
I just saw that since I've reviewed the SoundJaw, there have been several articles that have been written about it as well. Thought I'd post them here to give you guys a better idea of just what it's like. (I'm not a professional reviewer, so I'm not sure how well I represented the device).

Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/the-soundjaw-boosts-your-ipad-2s-speaker-by-crossing-the-streams/96636)

Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5804793/channel-your-ipads-audio-in-the-right-direction-with-soundjaw)

Wired (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/05/clip-on-soundjaw-fixes-ipad-2s-terrible-speaker/)

ModMyi (http://modmyi.com/content/4455-soundjaw-ipad-sound-booster-prototype-mmi-exclusive.html)

scirica
Jun 18, 2011, 11:22 AM
I supported this development and I'm anxiously awaiting my SoundJaw in white. It is relatively inexpensive and I'm sure, based on simple acoustic principles, it will be of benefit. No worries about detracting from the beauty of the iPad 2. It's an accessory that can be removed and thrown in your bag/briefcase.

I'm in!

redzapper
Jun 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
I just received my soundjaw. Does it work? Absolutely. The sound is noticeably amplified. No more cupping the hand around the speaker for me.

As mentioned in a previous post, the fit is perfect - it slides right on to the ipad. As you would expect, having it on the ipad will cause issues with those that have tight fitting back cases. I have a TPU back case and while I can jam the soundjaw over the case, it looked awkward - it did work even in that awkward position tho. I don't think anyone would want to keep it on that way. I elected to stretch my case over the soundjaw. Again, not ideal but it looks better and this way I can keep it on the ipad.

Recommended.

lego batman
Jun 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
For those of you that have one... How flexible/durable is the piece itself?

I think this is a great idea, simple and effective.

That70sGAdawg
Jul 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
So far, so good on Durability. I've only had it for two weeks, but enjoy the sound daily...

jsh1120
Jul 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
As mentioned in a previous post, the fit is perfect - it slides right on to the ipad. As you would expect, having it on the ipad will cause issues with those that have tight fitting back cases. I have a TPU back case and while I can jam the soundjaw over the case, it looked awkward - it did work even in that awkward position tho. I don't think anyone would want to keep it on that way. I elected to stretch my case over the soundjaw. Again, not ideal but it looks better and this way I can keep it on the ipad.

Recommended.

Wondering about fitting it with a polycarbonate back case. I doubt it will fit under the (Speck) back protector. Would it fit over it?

jjk454ss
Jul 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
I was just going to order this, then I saw several similar products. Same thing I guess, just different look to them. and there is the Soundjaw plus or something shipping in August. Any suggestions on which one I should get?

jjk454ss
Jul 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
I just went ahead and ordered the original Soundjaw since I didn't want o wait of the newer one. After just trying to increase the volume with my hand, it makes such a big difference I had to try this.