Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brownl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a disc of halo combat evolved on pc and I have tried installing it using crossover games, but I get this error just before it installs, I have read that some people get this error, I am new to all this so could u pls give a easy to understand tutorial on how to do it :) also on the website it says it works perfectly,

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
what is the error you get? "this error" is not explaned, also are you using crossover games or reguar crossover? CxG is more for games and is kept more cutting edge. which version of CxG are you using? Halo is an old game but still...

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
what is the error you get? "this error" is not explaned, also are you using crossover games or reguar crossover? CxG is more for games and is kept more cutting edge. which version of CxG are you using? Halo is an old game but still...

Says 'crossover games' in the OP.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you just buy Halo for OS X? It's hardly expensive, and definitely better to be running it natively.

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Says 'crossover games' in the OP.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you just buy Halo for OS X? It's hardly expensive, and definitely better to be running it natively.

You may be referring to the Intel CD that is still being sold. No new licenses for the Mac version have been published for about 4-5 years now :p

Search eBay for MacSoft Halo: Combat Evolved, last i searched a few years ago it was over 60+ dollars, xover is still better to use, or at least cheaper.

here it is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Halo-Combat-Evo...ames_Games&hash=item3cb5743dd7#ht_2652wt_1038

SuprM4n

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Yeah, the Mac verison of Halo ranges from ~$70-150+. It's quite ridiculous, but it's hard to find a game that isn't made for a specific OS.

Boo for rarity in this case.

Brownl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm using crossover games 9 I think? Idk but I'm getting 10.1.0 and when u get home I will get the error, sorry

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Yeah, the Mac verison of Halo ranges from ~$70-150+. It's quite ridiculous, but it's hard to find a game that isn't made for a specific OS.

Boo for rarity in this case.

i am 1 of the lucky ones who bought halo ce for mac in 2003or 04ish for my ibook G4 800MHz (there's an oldie!) then later got the universal binary (runs great on my Mac Mini 2010) and later still got Halo 2 for win (can't work in CxG because it needs .net 3.5). I can't vouch for the legality but i could put up a DMG of my UB installer, however you still need a product key and that i know i can't share :p

SuprM4n

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Heh, appreciate the offer, but I'm working with Doh (He's telling me all of the mistake that I'm making, and hopefully proposing fixes soon? xD) to maybe get Halo to work through wineskin. A lot of people have managed to do that apparently, just not me... v.v

Last edited:

Brownl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne

I mean i

Brownl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne

What are the servers for Mac version of halo are like because if they have stopped making it shouldn't they be closed if so more reason for my crossover version

Brownl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne

I think the error I got was "Cannot load Pidgen.dll" so any way to fix it? And I only got my Mac 7 weeks ago so I still barely know anything about it, help?

Brownl123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne

And if u could give a full instructions to fix error and how to install it, I am new to this so exPlain so even I could understand thankyou

SuprM4n

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Heya Brown.

I think I know what your problem is... = )

I had the same one when trying to install via wineskin.

What you need is a specific .dll for CXG to use in order to install the game.

The .dll that you need is mfc42.dll. I'm not sure how to install it in CXG though.

You'll need to install it into the CXG's system 32 folder within their windows folder, if they even have one... chances are you can just download mfc42.dll and paste it into the system 32 folder, and hopefully it will work.

Check out this link, it might be helpful to you. Click Me.

Edit: As for servers, not only are they cross-platform as Josh said, but they're also hosted by regular people, not by bungie. That means that you can set up your own server, or you could just play in one of the many servers available already via other people's dedicated servers. A dedicated server is basically where the server is hosted by some company, and you pay them money to keep your server up all the time.

Last edited:

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004

What are the servers for Mac version of halo are like because if they have stopped making it shouldn't they be closed if so more reason for my crossover version

well you're lucky there about servers because they are cross-platform, also if you want to check out mods people have made the PC version also supports something called halo custom edition, which can be more mod friendly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.