PDA

View Full Version : G5 won't start up!

Aylee
Apr 23, 2011, 12:07 PM
Hi, I'm coming to you with a question on behalf of my mother, whose computer won't start up.

Early this morning we had a power outage (for a whole total of ten seconds) which, well, shut everything down including her Power Mac G5. Now it won't start up. Yes, it's plugged in, and it's connected to a surge protector.

When you press the power button you can hear the fans start, and the CD drive begin to whirr, but no sound other than that, no start up noise. We're also not getting any visuals on the monitor at all. The white light on the front of the computer begins to blink continuously, and it's a pretty fast blink, I'd say twice a second.

After searching around online, I can't figure it out, I've tried pressing the Cuda/PMU button, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas? If worst comes to worst, we'll see about taking it in to the Apple store at the mall where I work. Speaking of, I have to run off to work now, thus I won't be able to check back for a good eight hours or so, but thank you in advance!

adcx64
Apr 26, 2011, 06:18 PM
maybe the surge fried the power supply?

buzzfgo
Apr 26, 2011, 10:12 PM
Try resetting the PRAM. If that doesn't get it, it's fried.

DrakkenWar
Apr 28, 2011, 01:35 AM
As the owner of one pissy G5 and more than a few G4's I would suggest this: Since the P-Ram reset did not work, pull the ram. And fire up the G5 and see what you get. If you still get lights and sounds you have something to go with.From there reinsert each ram stick one at a time and see what you get. Macs are nothing at all if finicky on ram. I have found that out myself time and again from my Wally to my DA to this G5.

~Here to Help
Drake

eljanitor
Apr 28, 2011, 02:01 AM
After you zap the PRAM, and the PMU it wont work? I recommend what someone else said, you could play with the RAM and see if that makes any difference but really it doesn't look good for that iMac.

I also doubt its the power supply. However there is good news here, just have to look at in another way. She can now get a new iMac.

macdatadrive
Apr 28, 2011, 05:03 AM
I believe that iMac isn't in for a batch of good luck. Reset the PRAM, PMU and I would even reinstall the RAM and whichever OS it is running.
Hope that Mac gets well soon.

eljanitor
Apr 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Do you get anything on the screen? or is it just black?