Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
So I am trying to make this machinima, you know where you record something on the screen and then add audio, my question is, has anyone done this and what is the best workflow? Should you record the sound first and the record the video with the sound or record the footage and then add the sound or try to do them simultaneously. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
It depends how you plan to do it. Are we talking a "Red vs. Blue" kind of thing with a plotline and it's more of a video game movie or are we talking like a commentary kind of thing.

If it's the first I'd say script it all out first and foremost before doing anything. Then get your footage and add the audio.

If it's the second then get your gameplay first as you never quite know what could come up. Then script it and add audio.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Ahh yes, I suppose I didn't say, it would be your first one, a more red vs blue thing. And yes I have it scripted out. Thanks for the advice both of you.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Ahh yes, I suppose I didn't say, it would be your first one, a more red vs blue thing. And yes I have it scripted out. Thanks for the advice both of you.

Just wanted to say from looking at your signature you definitely have enough equipment to carry out your task!

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada

I meant to add to. If you can I would suggest recording the audio at the same time (even just from a handheld mic or something) as you record the video. Don't use this audio, re-record it later but if you record audio while you do video timing everything will be a lot easier and save you a lot of trouble in editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.