Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171415-background.jpg

A finding earlier this month by OSXDaily has generated some speculation about Apple's plans for "Retina" display Macs. The Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2 released in late March included an ultra-high resolution version of the background desktop image at a resolution of 3200x2000. A few observers noted that this is higher than any Apple display has ever supported, generating speculation that Apple is preparing for "Retina" display Macs in the near future.

We had previously reported that Mac OS X Lion has made some under-the-hood changes opening the door to such super-high resolution displays.
Taking cues from iOS, Apple has reportedly built in support for what it calls "HiDPI display modes". These HiDPI modes allow developers to supply 2x-enlarged images to support double-high resolution displays. Like the iPhone 4's Retina Display, this means that user interface elements will remain the same size, but everything will be twice the resolution and therefore twice as detailed.
Now, MacMagazine.com.br has found that Apple is already starting to include other super high resolution artwork in Lion. They found several icons stored as 1024x1024 sizes, up from a previous maximum of 512x512.

Click for full-size

Of course, this support for super high resolution displays is only the first step, but suggests Apple is planning ahead when the hardware becomes available.

Article Link: Apple Including Ultra High Resolution Artwork in Lion for Possible Retina Displays?

Last edited by a moderator:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This sounds like planning FAR ahead, but I like it!

My eyes! My EYES!!!
Retina display means the opposite of what you may fear: it doesn’t mean tiny menus and unreadable text, the way traditional computer displays look when tons of extra pixels are crammed in.

Instead, it means MORE readability: added sharpness of the same, nicely-readable, text sizes. Like an iPhone 3GS vs an iPhone 4.

wd89

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I hope this means an increase in resolution of iTunes artwork. I know it's unrelated to the OS but one can hope!

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Seeing as how the iPad 2 didn't get retina display, I doubt iMacs will.

Imagine the cost of that!!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
If this is true, I'd be a little pissed lol. I just traded up from my two 23" ACD's for two 24" LED LCD's.

Hopefully this means with the Mac Pro rumors refresh and Final Cut release that Apple is refocusing on their neglected pro-line. Maybe we'll see a full line of dedicated displays instead of one stripped down iMac panel.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
The past year my right eye's vision has decreased. Interestingly enough that is around when i got my iphone 4, can lack of my eye working and the phone making it easier make my vision worse? Probably not and just a coincidence.

Anyway i wonder if apple will do the whole "It is a 500$ upgrade for retina" thing or it will just be a thing all mbp's have.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'm not impressed if this is where the iMac display is potentially going , the current GPUs can barely drive the resolutions they have now in anything other than simple desktop apps . , can you imagine what video card you would need to drive a game (say portal 2 which has low to modest requirements) at 30fps + on a screen with 3200 or higher resloution ? Well whatever that GPU is , apple will ship with the one released 2 years ago and half the RAM it shipped with on the PC .

I love the mac OS , I love the mac design , I hate the "last years tech with a shiney shell" we seem to have to put up with , super high res screens and faster I/O ports are all well and good , but put a decent GPU in now the mac is becoming a contender as a home gaming platform .

Think I ranted a bit then , sorry :rolleyes:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Would this mainly be for notebooks? I assume it would be too expensive to achieve a high enough PPI on a 22inch+ display, no?

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
Wish Apple did something towards resolution independence and not make images bigger and bigger. :confused:

You could argue that when they pump all consumer Mac resolutions up to the limit of human perception, resolution independence becomes sort of moot.

Of course, a fully scalable OS would help accessibility, but for many consumers a retina screen would be an excellent "one size fits all" solution.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
1024?

anyone remember when screens were 1024x768? who would have imagined that now icons are 1024x1024... that icon is bigger than the total resolution of my first computer's display

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.