Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
OK, so a couple of months ago I started noticing that I wasn't receiving email reminders on events I created in my Google calendar. I of course google'd the problem and found out others had the same issue. The popular suggestion was to go to Calendar settings and remove the email notifications and then add them back. Sort of like rebooting the calendar and its reminders, I guess. It actually worked....until now.

Of course the day I had a credit card payment due is the day the email reminders failed to work again. I received no email reminder whatsoever (I always have two set up). I'm frustrated. I did the "reboot" thing again so I hopefully don't miss another upcoming event, but I'm seriously thinking of ditching google calendar all together and using something else. The thing is, I have no idea what's a good alternative.

Any suggestions on a good online calendar? What do you guys use?

JulesNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Have you tried setting reminders/alarms in iCal.

Works well for me.

I tried using iCal when I first switched over in '06. I integrated my Google calendar with it, but stopped using it because I often access my calendar in places other than my home computer. So I stuck with Google calendar and its "cloud" capabilities.

I know I can get MobileMe to access my iCal anywhere, but I rather not pay for a service when there's free (though shoddy like google cal) alternatives out there.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I tried using iCal when I first switched over in '06. I integrated my Google calendar with it, but stopped using it because I often access my calendar in places other than my home computer. So I stuck with Google calendar and its "cloud" capabilities.

I know I can get MobileMe to access my iCal anywhere, but I rather not pay for a service when there's free (though shoddy like google cal) alternatives out there.

Two words for ya... Mobile Me. Sign up for the sixty day free trial, rumor has it that it's going to be free May 18 th or so. I use it for everything. Wednesday I left my company laptop at home, wasn't a big deal. All of my email accounts go through it, plus iDisk, iCal, and my address book were all accessible from another computer. I love how my iPad, iMac, and Winders laptop all stay in sync (to include bookmarks) effortlessly. Even if you don't get it free, retailers sell it at a discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.