Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Hey all,

Trying to get Bootcamp running on my new iMac i3 - going to stick XP SP3 on there, but at the minute when I go to download the Windows Support Software I keep getting a message telling me it cannot be done at this time.

I'd use my disks, but they weren't in the box so Applecare's sending me a new set - anyone got any great ideas to help me out here?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is a thread that has a link to the software update XML file that has the direct links. You might be able to download them that way.

B

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is a thread that has a link to the software update XML file that has the direct links. You might be able to download them that way.

B
I must delve into that - I had a hunt around online last night to no success. Will start poking again :)

EDIT: Had a poke around the forums, having little success - anyone able to point me to the thread in question? Don't want to grab the wrong thing by mistake.

Edit the second: Found this http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1333 going to try and install basic drivers from my Retail disk of SL and then running this - I figure that should work fine, at least until the backup disks arrive in the post :)

Last edited:

Disgrace

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Same problem, although it appears as though the problem is universal.

The solutions are beyond confuddling, however. The above solution looks far too difficult for the average user. Where has this particular, very large file, have to be installed? And what is:

I had to modify the BootCamp64.msi installation file with the SuperOrcaMSI Editor to remove any validation tables

... Supposed to mean if I have to do that myself if using such a solution?

Also, regarding the installation disc: where are the drivers actually located? The instructions and everyone on the internet tell me to use my Mac OS X disc 1, but there's nothing there apart from optional installation apps and the OS X installer itself. No drivers I can install by themselves and most certainly, no one Windows driver I can download on it's own.

Which brings me back to the first solution, why is this one driver package so large at 600 or so MB? And where does it go? And is it really needed?

Lmao, and I thought this was supposed to be easy and full-proof whereas at the moment, it looks like one massive trap which is not needed when one is partitioning a disc!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Also, regarding the installation disc: where are the drivers actually located? The instructions and everyone on the internet tell me to use my Mac OS X disc 1, but there's nothing there apart from optional installation apps and the OS X installer itself.

As per the thread I linked, they are generally in a hidden ISO9660 session that you cannot easily see when booted to OS X. You can follow the directions in that thread to extract the ISO and then the drivers from that.

I do wish Apple would just make Apple Software Update downloadable and have it be able to figure out which individual drivers are needed.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.