PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Like to See in Future MBAs?

webitorgal
Apr 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
I'm considering a Macbook Air in the next refresh, likely an 11 inch. It will be my first Mac in 13 years - I had one throughout high school, but switched to Windows for university. The MBA will be used as a second computer. What I'm hoping to see:

1. An SD slot for the 11 inch - I'm a blogger and would like to be able to upload pictures without the use of a converter or hooking my camera up to the computer

2. A lighter-weight machine - maybe down to 2 lb for the 11" and 2.5 lb for the 13"

I don't really care whether they bring back a backlit keyboard or not - I was taught to type without looking at the keyboard and have pretty much memorized where all the keys are.

What about you? How likely are we going to see lighter machines in the next refresh?

rgs3
Apr 23, 2011, 11:35 PM
Backlit keyboard would take it to another level. Theres just something very awesome about the backlit keyboards. I dont need to look at the keys to type, I just like the esthetics of it all. I would also like to see current gen processors in a current gen model. The last thing that I could ask for would be edge to edge display with zero bezel around the display and trim up around the keyboard. Thats all extra bulk as far as Im concerned.

Windowsrefugee
Apr 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
1. 4G (3G) modem so I don't have to carry around my VZW dongle
2. Even better battery life
3. More memory

I don't care so much about backlit keyboard as I really want longer battery life and can always tilt screen forward a little to see keyboard.

ShiftClick
Apr 24, 2011, 12:30 AM
1) 4G
2) USB 3.0
3) Thunderbolt
4) up to 8GB ram option

Mainly 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 would be nice as well. Don't give a hoot about BL keyboards. I always turn it off as it sucks power.

epictempo
Apr 24, 2011, 01:07 AM
Sd card slot and an 8 hour battery life (videos) will have me ditching this iPad2 quicker than the flash. :D intended.

BENJMNS
Apr 24, 2011, 01:14 AM
seriously just shut ur pretty faces with the tired backlit keyboard anthem. this is like the least desirable feature esp since it has a direct impact on battery life.

so simple really:

-more power
-longer battery life
-IPS display
-less weight
-runs cool

the new x220 does the mba better in three items above today for a fact. time for apple to step it up again.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 24, 2011, 01:50 AM
seriously just shut ur pretty faces with the tired backlit keyboard anthem.

Bit rude don't you think?

this is like the least desirable feature

In your opinion.

esp since it has a direct impact on battery life.

Not on my Pro or VAIO Z.

so simple really:

-more power
-longer battery life
-IPS display
-less weight
-runs cool

the new x220 does the mba better in three items above today for a fact. time for apple to step it up again.

Fair enough.

mrsir2009
Apr 24, 2011, 03:08 AM
This is for the 13" model as its the one I'm interested in:

1. Thunderbolt.

2. Backlit keyboard!

alfmil
Apr 24, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'm just waiting for Lion to come out, then I am buying an 11" MBA. However, I would like to see a Thunderbolt port next to the power port so I won't have to stretch cables to both sides of the MBA when using a Cinema Display.

My guess is that if there is a Thunderbolt port, and the Cinema Display is updated to utilize a Thunderbolt cable, the USB cable would be unnecessary. That would be pretty slick.

Hellhammer
Apr 24, 2011, 03:21 AM

And is about twice as thick (up to ten times if measured from MBA's thinnest point) and weighs 0.7lb or 1.3lb more. Basically it's just a lighter 13" MBP since even MBP is thinner. No thank you.

kurtster
Apr 24, 2011, 03:47 AM
I know there's no real estate for it, but I wouldn't complain it if had a dedicated Ethernet port.

1. An SD slot for the 11 inch - I'm a blogger and would like to be able to upload pictures without the use of a converter or hooking my camera up to the computer
Have you tried an Eye-Fi memory card? I picked one up recently and it's made offloading photos from the camera SO much easier.

maclaptop
Apr 24, 2011, 04:05 AM
Longer battery life

mrsir2009
Apr 24, 2011, 04:07 AM
I know there's no real estate for it, but I wouldn't complain it if had a dedicated Ethernet port.

Get a 13" MBP.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 24, 2011, 04:19 AM

They could very easily do it like the VAIO X-

http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/1d9b969832.jpg

Flip it down to use it, flip it back up to maintain its thinness. It works because all the Ethernet pins are one side only.

Works well on my X128. (that thing is as thin and way lighter than the Air btw so don't say it isn't possible because it's heavier or thicker or anything)

Apple included the Ethernet adapter on the last gen Air- why did they cheap out and leave it out for the new generation?

Get a 13" MBP.

Why should one have to compromise on weight, thinness and portability when the above solution is possible?

kurtster
Apr 24, 2011, 04:37 AM
That's pretty cool. Trust Sony to push the envelope like that.

Angelo95210
Apr 24, 2011, 05:21 AM
Intel i3 or i5 CPU.

animatedude
Apr 24, 2011, 05:21 AM
IRS sensor to use or the Apple Remote.

KnightWRX
Apr 24, 2011, 05:51 AM
The MBA currently sold is a solid contender in and of itself. It has the perfect set of features already for me. The only things I'd want :

- higher resolution screen. 13", 1920x1200. Do it.
- Better GPU/CPU combo. No SB + Intel crap, gimme nVidia with newer generation processors. Intel should just get out of the GPU business.
- USB3 only to get a 1 Gbps USB Ethernet adapter. But that's candy.

Otherwise, keep it like it is.

boffo
Apr 24, 2011, 06:01 AM
More storage please! I guess that means a 512GB SSD.

All I want is a 13" Mac laptop with a 1440x900 display and with enough storage space for all my stuff.

OSMac
Apr 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
Longer battery life, backlit keyboard, charcoal case.

Cerano
Apr 24, 2011, 06:18 AM
i get very puzzled when people ask for an Arrandale Core I3 ULV when that's slower than the C2D ULVs that we have. People are apparently falling for all the marketing.

Ommid
Apr 24, 2011, 06:22 AM
More memory!

I think the Air needs a complete revamp to be honest, I think Apple could sell alot more.

Ca$hflow
Apr 24, 2011, 06:34 AM
Make the RAM user upgradable even if it means only having one ram slot. I really feel strongly about this because it seems that the MBA is morphing into a full functional iPad with a keyboard. :(

I can not help wonder if this is going to put more laptops in landfills this way.:eek: There are many people that can't afford ordering the ultimate BTO option and are able to upgrade the components over time.:cool:

What do you think?

cirus
Apr 24, 2011, 09:48 AM
i get very puzzled when people ask for an Arrandale Core I3 ULV when that's slower than the C2D ULVs that we have. People are apparently falling for all the marketing.

I think you mean an i5 or i7 ULV sandy bridge. The cpu will be much stronger but the graphics will be weaker (compared to the 320m nvidia chipset). Sandy bridge integrated graphics are twice arrandale graphics.

Don't fall prey to the megahertz myth. Clock speed is not all. I've got a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 computer (desktop) and my 1.66 GHz core 2 duo (laptop) completely destroys it, even on single threaded tasks. Core 2 duo was extremely efficient compared to pentium 4.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-2657M-Notebook-Processor.49737.0.html
Benchmarks for the i7 2657M (the best ULV processor). It looks pretty good. 3D mark 06 was better than the standard voltage i3 2310. It ranks around an arrandale standard voltage i3 for most of the benchmarks. In some it even passes some of the i5 CPUs. But for this to happen it needs good cooling.

Cerano
Apr 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
I think you mean an i5 or i7 ULV sandy bridge. The cpu will be much stronger but the graphics will be weaker (compared to the 320m nvidia chipset). Sandy bridge integrated graphics are twice arrandale graphics.

Don't fall prey to the megahertz myth. Clock speed is not all. I've got a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 computer (desktop) and my 1.66 GHz core 2 duo (laptop) completely destroys it, even on single threaded tasks. Core 2 duo was extremely efficient compared to pentium 4.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-2657M-Notebook-Processor.49737.0.html
Benchmarks for the i7 2657M (the best ULV processor). It looks pretty good. 3D mark 06 was better than the standard voltage i3 2310. It ranks around an arrandale standard voltage i3 for most of the benchmarks. In some it even passes some of the i5 CPUs. But for this to happen it needs good cooling.

i was actually referring to Arrandales not SBs. SBs are far superior compared to the Arrandales. The Arrandale ULVs arent exactly fast.

I actually have a thread on this here
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1076834

Twe Foju
Apr 24, 2011, 11:24 AM
- Thunderbolt ( most likely )

- Backlit Keyboard ( Unlikely )

- AMD combo ( Chip + GPU )

- Upgradeable Ram ( at least 6gb )

- More SSD option ( 512 pretty pleasee )

- Black Color MBA :D

Oppressed
Apr 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
Ignoring current situations and if I could have it any way I want:

Macbook Air 11.6''

- Intel I5 ULV, 6mb FSB

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M

- SD Card Slot

- Thunderbolt Port in ADDITION to 2 USB ports.

- Get rid of the bezel around the screen and either make the screen slightly larger or make it black edge similar to MBP.

I would just settle for the i5 and Nvidia chip. As for the collapsable ethernet port... moving parts? ew.

FX4568
Apr 24, 2011, 11:50 AM
Order of importance

- Stronger GPU
- Sharper colors
- Longer battery life
- Stronger CPU
- Liquid metal
- Ethernet
- 6GB
- Thunderbolt
- Backlit
- USB 3.0

intervenient
Apr 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
* i5 with switchable graphics (Intel raaaaaage)
* More storage space for lower range model (64GBs...what was I thinking???)
* Cheaper RAM option (2GB is fine, but pushing the limits of OK)

I really can't think of anything else though. These are near perfect computers.

entatlrg
Apr 24, 2011, 02:12 PM
3g

bloodycape
Apr 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
An 11in model with a little less bezel, a wide gamut matte or anti-glare screen with a min of 350nits, firewire min, sd card slot, and LV i core cpu(don't need much gpu power as the intel 4500hd on my Vaio works with my needs perfectly).

jvmxtra
Apr 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
b
a
c
k
l
i
t

k
e
y
b
o
a
r
d

rgs3
Apr 24, 2011, 04:27 PM
seriously just shut ur pretty faces with the tired backlit keyboard anthem. this is like the least desirable feature esp since it has a direct impact on battery life.

so simple really:

-more power
-longer battery life
-IPS display
-less weight
-runs cool

lol..i think the universe revolves around this guy.
BTW - BLK might be the biggest requested feature.

Undo Redo
Apr 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'd like to see Apple go back to silver or white keyboards. I couldn't care less about key lighting but don't really like the black keys. Other than that, a gradual increase in speed and features without sacrificing the cool-running aspect of the computer is all I hope for.

Big D 51
Apr 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
A screen that would rotate and lay flat on the keyboard. Once in this position, turns into an iPad.

This was way I can have an 11" laptop and iPad for whichever I am
Needing to use at the moment without having to carry two machines.

racer1441
Apr 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
15 inch version.

Price is no problem.

Beaverman3001
Apr 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
3G, a cpu option that doesn't mean a garbage gpu.

mrsir2009
Apr 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
15 inch version.

Price is no problem.

I'd buy a 15" :D

jonomo
Apr 24, 2011, 09:23 PM
Not sure what all the fuss is about the backlit keyboard... I don't think I ever found that feature to be useful on my MBP.. I guess if you type "pecking" style it's pretty useful..

On the 11incher I would love to see:
1. SD card slot
2. 3G or 4G

Otherwise some incremental improvements on memory, cpu, battery life, would all be great!

gri
Apr 24, 2011, 09:32 PM

so simple really:

-more power
-longer battery life
-IPS display
-less weight
-runs cool

If you don't like the BL keyboard you can always switch it off. Gives you the so desired battery life and others keep the option for a bl keyboard...

rnb2
Apr 24, 2011, 11:39 PM
Honestly, if they offered an 8GB RAM option, I'd be sorely tempted to go from my current 2009 i7 iMac and 11.6" 4GB MBA to a maxed-out 13" SB MBA + 27" monitor. I would probably also have to move from my current FW800 OWC RAID to something with Thunderbolt, since I'd need something that could daisy-chain with the monitor.

I know that I would lose the top-end performance of the iMac, but it would be worth it to jump to a truly next-generation, all solid state laptop. I need the RAM to run Aperture and Photoshop CS5 together effectively, but I think I could live with everything else. I'd really love to get down to one computer that is decent when hooked up to a 27" monitor, and also very portable for the limited traveling that I do. The C2D MBA is fine for my travel needs, but not good enough for my day-to-day use at home.

I could go with a 15" MacBook Pro, but I really prefer the forward-looking MBA design and weight, and the price is more attractive on the MBA once you start looking at SSD options in the MBP.

Do I think they'll offer the 8GB option this year? I suspect not, but we may then see it in 2012.

fyrefly
Apr 25, 2011, 12:26 AM
If you don't like the BL keyboard you can always switch it off. Gives you the so desired battery life and others keep the option for a bl keyboard...

Hah. Yep, switch off that BL keyboard, all you haters, 'cause it'll probably save you a total of 10 mins of battery life. Out of 7 hours. That's like 0.02% battery life loss. :p

Darklandman
Apr 25, 2011, 02:28 AM

Macbook Air 11.6''

- Intel I5 ULV, 6mb FSB

- SD Card Slot

- Get rid of the bezel around the screen and either make the screen slightly larger or make it black edge similar to MBP.

I would just settle for the i5 and Nvidia chip. As for the collapsable ethernet port... moving parts? ew.

I lol'ed at this:p

Lord Appleseed
Apr 25, 2011, 03:18 AM
Retina Display
backlit keyboard Option (so everyone who wants to have it can have it)
bigger SSD drives
faster/newer processor
upgradable Ram

ZipZap
Apr 25, 2011, 04:09 AM
Lower price.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 25, 2011, 04:31 AM
Retina Display
bigger SSD drives
faster/newer processor
upgradable Ram

Now that is something to lol at :p

Darklandman
Apr 25, 2011, 05:58 AM
Retina Display
bigger SSD drives
faster/newer processor
upgradable Ram

Not if you have this

Macbook Air 11.6''

- Intel I5 ULV, 6mb FSB

- SD Card Slot

Ommid
Apr 25, 2011, 06:01 AM

I bet it will come in the next 2 years ;)

Blues003
Apr 25, 2011, 06:10 AM
My uses would be mainly Web Browsing, Video Watching, Chatting, some gaming (mainly DS and PS2 emulation), Garage Band and Photoshop.

As such, and considering the 9400 GPU already runs PS2 without problem, I'd say my priorities would be:

a) More RAM
b) Better CPU
c) Better Battery Life
d) Backlit Keyboard
e) Better GPU

Oppressed
Apr 25, 2011, 06:50 AM
I lol'ed at this:p

Is this not a dream thread!

Fine 410m.

@ Retina display. I seriously doubt IGP 3000 is capable of even running OS X at this resolution let alone anything 3D based like a game.

Hellhammer
Apr 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
@ Retina display. I seriously doubt IGP 3000 is capable of even running OS X at this resolution let alone anything 3D based like a game.

Define Retina display. No, it's not +300 PPI. Well, it is if you are viewing it from 1 foot away like phones usually are. Computer screens are often viewed at 2 feet, making retina +150 PPI. This is what most people forget, the viewing distance!

Now:
13.3" 1440x900 = 128 PPI
11.6" 1366x768 = 135 PPI

Required for "retina":
13.3" 1680x1050 = 149 PPI (close enough)
11.6" 1600x900 = 158 PPI

Intel HD 3000 can drive 1280x800 internal simultaneously with up to 2560x1600 external monitor. And that is just in 13" MBP, I'm sure it can theoretically drive even more. "Retina" displays aren't that far off since the next step from 1440x900 and 1366x768 will be "retina".

TheMacBookPro
Apr 25, 2011, 07:53 AM
That's pretty cool. Trust Sony to push the envelope like that.

Sony had a lot of innovative products in 2010 but they (for no discernible reason) decided to discontinue all three products (VAIO Z, X, P).

The P fits in my pocket, the X is insanely light and thin (and somehow managing to shoehorn internal Ethernet and VGA to something that's lighter/thinner/smaller than the Air) and the Z was simply astonishing. Non-LV i7 proc, GT330M graphics, 512GB SSD, Blu-ray and a Full HD 13.1" LED screen (covering 96% of Adobe's RGB colors!) in something that was the same weight as the last-gen 13" Air.

Why they discontinued them I'll never know. Glad I bought them while I could :)

Macbook Air 11.6''

- Intel I5 ULV, 6mb FSB

- SD Card Slot

And somehow having to buy/carry around another bulky dongle, and using up another one of the USB ports, is better?

Not to mention that the internal Ethernet port could support up to Gigabit speeds while the extEthernet would only support up to 100Mbps (due to USB's limitation of 480mbps).

Yeah, all of the above limitations/annoyances sounds way better than having a collapsible Ethernet port :rolleyes:

...and GTX460M in an Air? Yeah good luck with that. Do you want worse battery life and a melted casing or what?

Is this not a dream thread!

Fine 410m.

You do realize that the 410M is a dedicated graphics chip? There is no space for a dedicated card on the Air's mobo.
Besides- the 410M performs slightly worse than the HD3000 and is thus worse than the current 320M. And thus, if you doubt the HD3000 can run OS X at a 'retina' resolution, good luck with the 410M. The only thing going for the 410 is the better NVIDIA drivers.

Not if you have this

See above.

I bet it will come in the next 2 years ;)

We'll see. I highly doubt it, but we'll see.

Ommid
Apr 25, 2011, 08:10 AM
Surely if they do 1680 15inch, then a 1680 13 won't be unfeasible.

Hellhammer
Apr 25, 2011, 08:15 AM
Not to mention that the internal Ethernet port could support up to Gigabit speeds while the extEthernet would only support up to 100Mbps (due to USB's limitation of 480mbps).

Thunderbolt will solve this. TB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter will definitely deliver 1Gb/s (800Mb/s due to 8/10b encoding).

TheMacBookPro
Apr 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thunderbolt will solve this. TB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter will definitely deliver 1Gb/s (800Mb/s due to 8/10b encoding).

Still, my point stands- you need to purchase another adapter, carry it around, and have it dangle off your computer when a simple internal ethernet port would solve the problem.

They should, at the very least, bundle it with a 1k+ computer (like they used to).

Andras5soul
Apr 25, 2011, 08:36 AM
Very simple.

Longer Battery Life.

No Graphics Performance Drop

15 Inch Screen (I'm a dreamer...)

ZipZap
Apr 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
Sony had a lot of innovative products in 2010 but they (for no discernible reason) decided to discontinue all three products (VAIO Z, X, P).

The P fits in my pocket, the X is insanely light and thin (and somehow managing to shoehorn internal Ethernet and VGA to something that's lighter/thinner/smaller than the Air) and the Z was simply astonishing. Non-LV i7 proc, GT330M graphics, 512GB SSD, Blu-ray and a Full HD 13.1" LED screen (covering 96% of Adobe's RGB colors!) in something that was the same weight as the last-gen 13" Air.

Why they discontinued them I'll never know. Glad I bought them while I could :)

And somehow having to buy/carry around another bulky dongle, and using up another one of the USB ports, is better?

Yeah, all of the above limitations/annoyances sounds way better than having a collapsible Ethernet port :rolleyes:

...and GTX460M in an Air? Yeah good luck with that. Do you want worse battery life and a melted casing or what?

You do realize that the 410M is a dedicated graphics chip? There is no space for a dedicated card on the Air's mobo.
Besides- the 410M performs slightly worse than the HD3000 and is thus worse than the current 320M. And thus, if you doubt the HD3000 can run OS X at a 'retina' resolution, good luck with the 410M. The only thing going for the 410 is the better NVIDIA drivers.

See above.

We'll see. I highly doubt it, but we'll see.

Sony has proven that Apple could get more features in the same space. Unfortunately, I dont think Apple cares about features if it interferes with differentiating product lines.

What the MBA gets will depend on what it replaces (if anything).

Apple has confirmed however, that the MBA type of laptop is still highly desired. Now lets hope they put more into it while keeping the cost low. Cost was, in my opinion, what ultimately killed sony's ultra portable lines.

Salty Pirate
Apr 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
backlit keyboard

8 GB RAM

better thermals/enough horsepower that the damn fans will not come on when watching flash content

Salty Pirate
Apr 25, 2011, 10:07 AM
A 15" air would be SICK:eek:

gnomeisland
Apr 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
15 inch version.

Price is no problem.

Personally I find 15" just a tad large for real portability.

I know this is me dreaming, but what about a hi-res 14.1" inch version "Pro" version. I think the extra space would allow for a faster CPU/GPU combo. Do that with an IPS screen, TB, and USB 3.0 and I it would hit a sweet spot I think.

But then I have this crazy, unfounded hunch that once Apple finally dumps the optical drive on the Macbooks we'll see hybrid Pro/Air machines that are around .6" thick with an 11", 14", 16"(maybe 18") 16X9 lineup instead of the 13", 15", 17" 16X10 lineup of today. No justification, just a fanboy's hunch.

EDIT: I think the slightly smaller form factor would make it easier to get the "retina" qualified resolutions that Hellhammer mentioned which I could really see Apple pushing in 2011/2012. Look how well the "retina" marketing with the iPhone4 did.

Satori
Apr 25, 2011, 10:13 AM
I'd like this:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=adf_1245828170
... in an MBA form factor.

JaneEyre
Apr 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Its quite simple

-A 15" version
-with larger battery capacity (5 hours heavy usage instead of 3)
-2 USB 3.0 ports
-and a built in 4G internet connection.

Then the MBA would be unbeatable.

Oppressed
Apr 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'd like this:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=adf_1245828170
... in an MBA form factor.

Yes I agree, because having that function in a MBP like in that video raises the question if its worth sacrificing the portability of the air for.

bloodycape
Apr 25, 2011, 04:08 PM
There have been many intel gpu based machine that had 1600x900 res displays, like the C2D Vaio Z or some of the offerings from Lenovo. I don't see why apple can't give such a res with to the 11.6in MBA with a 350nit display and wide color gamut. Then just add and SD card slot, make the usb ports 3.0 and a maybe even add a thunderbolt port and I'd be the first in line to get one.

ECUpirate44
Apr 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
I would love a 15" MBA.

rnb2
Apr 25, 2011, 06:46 PM
Just picking a couple posts here to illustrate that it helps if you are looking for something that is at all plausible.

Its quite simple

-A 15" version
-with larger battery capacity (5 hours heavy usage instead of 3)
-2 USB 3.0 ports
-and a built in 4G internet connection.

Then the MBA would be unbeatable.

Sorry, but a 15" MacBook Air would confuse the market too much - you're going to have to wait for the lines to merge in a year or two on that one. Already the 11.6" MBA is being referred to as the true expression of what a MBA is - sacrifice almost everything to the gods of Small and Light. A 15" would be an anachronism. Your larger battery will also have to wait for the likely MBP/MBA merger.

USB3 won't appear on an Apple product until Intel integrates it into their chipset, and that won't happen until Ivy Bridge. Thunderbolt is a given, however, and adapters will give you access to USB3 devices and bandwidth.

I suspect that Apple will point you towards an iPad if integrated 3G/4G is something you can't live without - they can justify producing extra SKUs for multiple carriers in an iPad-sized market, but not for the much smaller MBA market.

There have been many intel gpu based machine that had 1600x900 res displays, like the C2D Vaio Z or some of the offerings from Lenovo. I don't see why apple can't give such a res with to the 11.6in MBA with a 350nit display and wide color gamut. Then just add and SD card slot, make the usb ports 3.0 and a maybe even add a thunderbolt port and I'd be the first in line to get one.

There are already people complaining about difficulty reading from an 11.6" MBA screen, so higher resolution seems like a non-starter until they can get much higher-res screens in production (think 2x current res) that will allow them to scale screen elements to keep UI controls at the current size while giving higher user data resolution. Also, given the market that the MBA is selling to (mostly general-use, with low weight the overwhelming concern), Apple is unlikely to source a higher-gamut (and higher-priced) screen when most of the market doesn't even know what 'gamut' means.

torbjoern
Apr 26, 2011, 01:20 AM
1680x1050 pixels in the 13" would be nice. Retina is preferable, but a bit too much to hope for... at least within the next 1.5 - 2 years

Michael383
Apr 26, 2011, 01:30 AM
What I'd like to see is a 15" MBA.

GekkePrutser
Apr 26, 2011, 04:40 AM
Would love to see:

Sandy Bridge CPU (2537M or 2657M in 11")
Thunderbolt
Backlit keyboard
Built-in 3G

Besides that I don't care, I personally wouldn't be bothered by the GPU downgrade either. I don't expect them all to happen though. I think chances for the last 2 are slim.

BigBeast
Apr 26, 2011, 05:52 AM
1) 4G
2) USB 3.0
3) Thunderbolt
4) up to 8GB ram option

Mainly 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 would be nice as well. Don't give a hoot about BL keyboards. I always turn it off as it sucks power.

You'd rather USB 3 than Thunderbolt? Why would you want a slower IO rather than a freaking awesome super duper fast IO? Not sure why everyone wants USB 3 rather than Thunderbolt- hype? And don't give me it's gonna be the next FW BS.

GekkePrutser
Apr 26, 2011, 06:52 AM
You'd rather USB 3 than Thunderbolt? Why would you want a slower IO rather than a freaking awesome super duper fast IO? Not sure why everyone wants USB 3 rather than Thunderbolt- hype? And don't give me it's gonna be the next FW BS.

Probably because you can actually buy devices with USB 3.0, and at a reasonable price.

I think Thunderbolt is a great idea, and it would be super on the MacBook Air (personally I'd love to see a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter), which is why I named it in the above list, but USB 3.0 is much more widespread and so the peripherals are cheaper.

Compare it to FireWire 800 devices: It would have been great to have an external drive with that connection but I never bought one because in the end it was too much of a price difference. It's a lot easier to put up with USB 2 speeds if it costs 40% less than FW800.

I hope Apple and intel will push Thunderbolt agressively and won't let it become a niche port like the way FW800 ended up. So yes, I do think there is a high risk of it becoming the next firewire.

Personally I'd prefer both but I don't see it happening in the next MBA, not until intel integrates it in their chipset.

BigBeast
Apr 26, 2011, 07:58 PM
Probably because you can actually buy devices with USB 3.0, and at a reasonable price.

I think Thunderbolt is a great idea, and it would be super on the MacBook Air (personally I'd love to see a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter), which is why I named it in the above list, but USB 3.0 is much more widespread and so the peripherals are cheaper.

Compare it to FireWire 800 devices: It would have been great to have an external drive with that connection but I never bought one because in the end it was too much of a price difference. It's a lot easier to put up with USB 2 speeds if it costs 40% less than FW800.

I hope Apple and intel will push Thunderbolt agressively and won't let it become a niche port like the way FW800 ended up. So yes, I do think there is a high risk of it becoming the next firewire.

Personally I'd prefer both but I don't see it happening in the next MBA, not until intel integrates it in their chipset.

USB 3 is more widespread than Thunderbolt (since nothing is yet on the market for TB) but saying "much more" is a bit of a misnomer. USB 2.0 is WIDESPREAD. USB 3.0 has actually shown a very slow uptake by computer and peripheral manufacturers.

You can't compare FW 800 to TB. Here's why: FW 800 while a better IO, was only slightly better than USB 2. Therefore, with the added cost of FW 800 and the minimal increase in performance over USB 2, FW wasn't going to flourish.

However, comparing USB 3 to TB is like comparing VHS to Blu-ray. TB is REMARKABLY faster than USB 3. Couple that with the fact that TB allows for simutaneous transfer in BOTH DIRECTIONS at consistently close to theoretical speeds of 10 Gb/s. USB however as always, fluctuates in speed and almost NEVER reaches close to theoretical speeds and is only one way transfer. TB can daisy chain up to FOUR 1080p HD streams simultaneously (if I recall correctly) while I don't think USB 3 can do even 1.

Add this to the fact that Intel WANTS this tech to reach mass adoption and will make the tech available at cheap prices, it's a no brainer that TB WILL be adopted. Even IF TB ended up being a $20 or so royalty like FW, it so easily outclasses USB 3 that I would readily pay for it.

So like I said in my first post, why have USB 3 on a list before TB? Why have USB 3 at all? TB is where it's at.

foulmouthedleon
Apr 27, 2011, 10:54 AM
Backlit keyboard. It wouldn't be so much of a big deal if they didn't have it to begin with, then they removed that option. If they bring it back, I'll get rid of my MBP and go back to an Air.

onthecouchagain
Apr 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
I predict we'll only see upgrades to four things, two of which could swing either way:

Most likely:
1) Sandy Bridge processors
2) Thunderbolt I/O

Probably/Hopefully:
3) Bump up in standard SSD space. Maybe from 128 GB to 256 GB standard for the 13" and from 64 GB to 128 GB standard for the 11". Hopefully there will also be more BTO options (upgradable to 512 GB, for example)
4) 4 GB RAM standard across all models (at the very least standard for the 13"). And again, hopefully with more BTO options.

Lastly, I'll predict that battery life will either stay the same, or improve slightly.

Anything else, I just don't see Apple upgrading, e.g., higher screen resolution, back-lit keys, dedicated ethernet port, etc. I predict Apple will continue using the same aluminum casing for a couple of reasons. Namely, it was just redesigned Oct 2010, and Apple tends to stick to a certain design for a few years, give or take. And the fact that the Airs have been selling well also indicates Apple has no real need to change it too dramatically.

Of course, this is assuming there is even a refresh this Summer. I hope so.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there will probably be an upgrade in the graphics card.

EDIT 2: Judging from the history of Airs, I wouldn't be surprised if the RAM remained 2 GB standard.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 27, 2011, 11:29 AM

Core 2 Duo based VAIO Z's had an NVIDIA graphics chip for light gaming/HD videos/GPU intensive processes and the Intel graphics were only for basic processes like Word and internet surfing.

In the Air you would be stuck with the Intel gfx doing everything as there is no space for a dedicated chip.

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2011, 08:56 AM
Where do you think the Thunderbolt port might even go in the Air? Will it replace one of the USB ports? Doesn't seem like there's really that much room... thoughts?

bcaslis
Apr 28, 2011, 08:58 AM
Where do you think the Thunderbolt port might even go in the Air? Will it replace one of the USB ports? Doesn't seem like there's really that much room... thoughts?

The Thunderbolt port takes up no additional room. It replaces the miniDisplay port that is already on the machine.

Beanoir
Apr 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
-I'd quite like a slot to attach a laptop security cable;

-SD card slot would be nice on the 11"

-I'm not fussed about the Backlit keyboard, i'd rather keep the slim form factor.

macaddict3
Apr 28, 2011, 09:53 AM
sandy bridge processor
3g/4g card available input (just incase needed if no wifi in the area for traveling)
usb 3.0 maybe... in ivy bridge rofl..
better graphics card not going to get crippled with the intel HD3000
more ram
more battery life

Hellhammer
Apr 28, 2011, 10:04 AM
The Thunderbolt port takes up no additional room. It replaces the miniDisplay port that is already on the machine.

Thunderbolt requires a discrete controller chip so it does take up space.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 28, 2011, 10:27 AM

As mentioned, it'll take up a bit more space inside for the Thunderbolt controller but it'll simply replace the existing Mini DisplayPort so it becomes a 2-in-1 port on the outside.

gloryunited
Apr 28, 2011, 11:26 AM
I am very happy with my 13.3" MBA with 2 USB ports. But I have to admit, I am envious of the potential experience with the lightning fast Thunderbolt I/O in the latest MBP.

I started without Backlit Keyboard, and I am cool with that (although not as much elegant-looking, it saves unnecessary battery power).

And yes, I'd like to see a microfibre cloth included in the box! It's just too cheap yet important for any MBA users!

KylePowers
Apr 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm interested in the 13in, so:

In no particular order:

i series CPU
Thunderbolt
4GB RAM standard
256GB SSD standard (even though I already fill up my 300GB)
Nvidia or AMD GPU (not happening, I know)
Backlit keyboard (never had one, so I think it'd be neat)
Less bezel
HD Camera
Ships with Mini Displayport to HDMI converter

I think that's it. But regardless of what comes out, I'll probably pick one up as I'm currently in the market anyway =P

onthecouchagain
Apr 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
I wonder if heating will be an issue with the Air's casing and Sandy Bridge processors. I've read/heard that they may cut the SB power in half (whatever that means; I apologize, my tech-knowledge is poor) to reduce heat, but what will that mean for the processing speed? Or might Apple have a solution by innovating the design/fans/whatever?

Oldandintheway
Apr 28, 2011, 01:39 PM
The only thing I'm missing on my 11" MBA is an SD card slot. I use my MBA 80% for pictures and video. I use a Wifi SD card now but away from home the SD slot would be great.

jeremiah256
Apr 28, 2011, 02:07 PM
Must haves: Faster CPUs and Thunderbolt - not so important now but in 6-18 months anticipate widespread Thunderbolt equiped monitors with USB 3, SD, Firewire and ethernet ports built in. Your external monitor will be your hub and Thunderbolt means future proofing your MBA. Like to haves: me and my pretty mouth would like a backlit keyboard.:p

BigBeast
Apr 28, 2011, 02:11 PM
Like to haves: me and my pretty mouth would like a backlit keyboard.:p

wtf? :confused:

Creepy.

jeremiah256
Apr 28, 2011, 02:17 PM
wtf? :confused:

Creepy.

Sorry, it should have been 'pretty face'. See post #6. Didn't mean to freak you out!

dabear
Apr 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
The only thing I'm missing on my 11" MBA is an SD card slot. I use my MBA 80% for pictures and video. I use a Wifi SD card now but away from home the SD slot would be great.

Why don't you enable internet sharing on your mac instead? You don't need to be actually connected to the internet if you only wanna gain access to your computer.

strwrsfrk
Apr 28, 2011, 02:27 PM

Backlit keyboard is a nice aesthetic feature for many. It's also extremely useful for those of us who type while looking at the keyboard and tend to do a lot of traveling at night/underground. Plus, since all iterations of the keyboard have user-controlled brightness levels, the argument against it as a power sink fail. In my opinion, and as someone who really wants a backlit keyboard, the best argument against the feature is that it has the potential to increase the price to maintain such a large margin.

The TDP of the C2D and 320M combined is about 25W, I believe. The i5 2357m is a 1.4GHz proc with the HD3000 core and a TDP of 18W. By including this as the base processor, the battery life would inherently improve (without increasing the size of the battery), but a little bit of internal space would open up where the 320M was. This could be used for an SDHC card on the 11", or increased battery, or maybe an additional USB port. My wish would be to bump the base speed of the i5 up to 1.6GHz or even 1.8GHz and maintain a TDP of 25W.

A larger screen and/or thinner bezel would be nice, but I'd settle for coloring the darn thing black (without the weight of the glass over the screen). The bezel on my MacBook Pro is fantastic in comparison; I find the silver distracting.

A 2lb 11" Air with an i5 proc at 1.8GHz, a 256GB SSD, backlighting, 8+ hour battery-life, and a starting price of $100 less (dream on, I know), and there is no way I could keep myself from buying one.

dudeofswim
Apr 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
What would I like to see in the next gen MBA?
First it has to be shipped via royal unicorns and delivered by the Jobs himself?

Jeez. Just enjoy the thing you already bought. No use contemplating whats next. But ... a ULV SB and 3000 graphics is a decent trade off (for the 11"), the 13" can get ULV SB and 3000 graphics. (w/e its not like its that much of a difference, who plays hard core games on a machine like this and has space leftover), backlit keyboard, less bezel or a black border (not happening), HD facetime (why not), and a thiner body. Sure this is thin. Even thinner would be better :)

thepogues
Apr 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
I will be buying an 11 this summer. I am assuming the SB i5 ULV is a given and the 3000 graphics will be more than enough for me so...

1) 128gb ssd standard (unlikely because ssd prices probably haven't fallen enough...yet)
2) 4gb ram standard
3) more battery life (maybe just to 6 hours, but hey its an improvement)
4) Backlit keyboard (for aesthetics more than functionality)
5) Thunderbolt (last because I don't really do much file transfer in the first place)

oh and include the 11 in the back to school free ipod touch deal.

HoosierInFL
Apr 28, 2011, 09:58 PM
The only thing that will make me replace my current MBA is if the new model has a backlit keyboard. I greatly miss this feature.

Other than that, better battery life would be great.

mrsir2009
Apr 28, 2011, 10:10 PM

TB shares the minidisplay port bro ;)

letoast
Apr 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
I will buy an 11" once it has:
-Thunderbolt
-i5/i7 CPU with AES-NI
-option for 200+ GB drive

Would be supremely delighted if it also has:
-battery life approaching that of the 13"
-SDXC slot
-8GB RAM option

mrsir2009
Apr 28, 2011, 10:51 PM

You know if you were that worried about your precious battery life you could turn the keyboard lighting off.

neko girl
Apr 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ability to flip the screen back farther than it does now, esp. on the 11..
That and a backlit keyboard, yersh.

GekkePrutser
Apr 29, 2011, 04:07 AM
Thunderbolt just moved up on my list when I saw some of the new products coming out (http://www.sonnettech.com/news/nab2011/index.html).

Especially Gigabit Ethernet is a big plus for me, I was thinking Apple might be doing one but in case they're not then Sonnet seems to be working on one as well. Although the adapter pictured there is unfortunately very bulky so it's not a great choice to bring on the road. But it would be great for home to do backups quickly (I usually do a complete image once in a while and this would really help).

Also the external chassis in which you can just put PCI-e cards is really unprecedented for laptops. If the pricing eventually comes down to around $100 I'd definitely get one although I'm afraid it will be a lot more.

kazmac
Apr 30, 2011, 06:24 PM
Same resolution for the 13" > but these changes would be nice:

8GB ram option
larger SSD drive
Thunderbolt
longer battery life > closer to the iPad (iPad has really spoiled me as far as battery life).

and perhaps just a little lighter.

If the RAM/Battery life bumps are in I'll reconsider, especially since my wrists are okay with the magic mouse and an Apple laptop > (why I didn't use my Magic Mouse with the Airs/Pros I tested over the last month > duh).

Arsenal09
May 3, 2011, 10:46 AM
backlit keyboard :D

cube
May 3, 2011, 10:48 AM
- AMD Fusion
- gigabit ethernet (built-in)
- FireWire (built-in)
- DisplayPort 1.2

notjustjay
May 3, 2011, 11:15 AM
Alright, here we go Apple: I *will* buy a 13" MacBook Air on the day of the next refresh if it can have:

- Core i5 processors
- SD card slot (oops)
- backlit keyboard
- integrated 3G/LTE
- 10-hour battery life to match the iPad

A tall order, of course, but one can hope.

Hey Apple: I'll still buy one even if you don't quite manage to fit in the last two (but please try to increase battery life anyway).

torbjoern
May 3, 2011, 01:34 PM
@notjustjay: the 13" already does have an SD-card slot. is there any chance that'll be taken away?

mrsir2009
May 3, 2011, 01:53 PM
Alright, here we go Apple: I *will* buy a 13" MacBook Air on the day of the next refresh if it can have:

- Core i5 processors (Won't happen)
- SD card slot (Already has one)
- backlit keyboard (Good chance it will have one)
- integrated 3G/LTE (Its a laptop, not a cellphone)
- 10-hour battery life to match the iPad (Don't see how the battery can get any bigger)

A tall order, of course, but one can hope.

Hey Apple: I'll still buy one even if you don't quite manage to fit in the last two (but please try to increase battery life anyway).

Hellhammer
May 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
- Core i5 processors (Won't happen)

What other options does Apple have? All ULV and LV CPUs are either i5 or i7.

onthecouchagain
May 3, 2011, 02:12 PM
I know this is more of a "wish" thread than a "likely to happen" thread, but I'm going to chime in and predict that the Air refresh will be fairly minor.

I predict we'll see Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt (like the Pro/iMac lines) and better GPU, but beyond that, I predict same body design, no addition of backlit keys, and the worst prediction: likely the same SSD configurations. I say this based on the refreshed iMac SSD options; the prices for SSD have not gone down even in the slightest. I predict the base SSD options and even the BTO options will remain the same as they are today. Of course, I hope I am way wrong.

The last thing, which in my opinion can swing one way or another, is the RAM. I predict it'll stay standard (again, based on the iMac refresh) at 2 GB, and will not come standard 4 GB. Again, I hope so too that this will swing in a more favorable way.

Pure speculation.

notjustjay
May 3, 2011, 02:53 PM
@notjustjay: the 13" already does have an SD-card slot. is there any chance that'll be taken away?

Crap, and you know what's the most embarrassing part? I did know that, I was looking at a picture of it just the other day. :o

OK, just pretend I didn't mention that part. The rest of it stands. ;)