PDA

View Full Version : G5 won't boot (Fans Going Crazy)

normanway
Apr 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hi, my G5 is playing up, the first time it's happened since I've had it. Working normaly and it just froze and the fans came on and it sounded like it was gonna take off. I had to power down by holding the power button.
After ten mins I started it back up an it was fine for half hour then the fans went crazy again and it froze so I powered down and left it until the morning. This time after turning on it was just a black screen and after 5 mins the fans kicked in and went crazy.

I looked on some forums on a laptop and done a few suggestions, like Single mode which it modified something and I repeated the process and all was ok. Still no boot tho. I tried reset-nvram set-defaults reset-all and it worked and I was able to enter my password and carry on as normal, I was really happy!!! Then an hour or two later a screen popped up saying I had to restart it. So i did and now it just sits at the apple screen and after five mins the fans go Crazy.
Not sure what else to do. I don't have hardware test CDs so can't check that. I hear the chime on boot up and then just hangs at the apple screen. ??? I've reseated the ram and the video card and now I don't have a clue. HELP Please. I'm pulling my
hair out. Thanks in advance.

adcx64
Apr 24, 2011, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a logic board issue to me. open it up and look to see if theres any popped capacitors on the board. (google "popped capacitor" for pics) the box that popped up was a Kernel Panic, which happens when OS X finds an issue.
You could try:
1. Remove RAM just use 1 Ram stick, if it doesn't work, try the other stick.

Hope this helps!

Hrududu
Apr 24, 2011, 03:01 PM
If its an iMac its probably the power supply. I've see this as a pretty common bad PSU symptom for iMac G5 systems. Just repaired one just like this earlier in the week. This might apply to the Powermac too, but I can't say I've personally seen it work.

normanway
Apr 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Hi thanks for the replies. I will take out the ram 1 by 1 and see what happens and also check the capacitors. It's a power mac G5 not iMac. If it is logic board or power supply what kinda price would I be looking at to fix? Any ideas?

iLucas
Apr 24, 2011, 03:11 PM

Hi thanks for the replies. I will take out the ram 1 by 1 and see what happens and also check the capacitors. It's a power mac G5 not iMac. If it is logic board or power supply what kinda price would I be looking at to fix? Any ideas?

Having the same troubles as you before, I believe it's the ram. You will have to take out the ram in pairs. Also make sure you have matching ram installed as that could cause it. They have to be in the same slots on top and bottom. Example: have 1 512mb of OWC in slot 1 on top and 1 512mb of OWC in slot 1 on bottom.

normanway
Apr 24, 2011, 03:42 PM

Ok cool. I have 2 sticks of ram 2x 1GB. I read that they are supposed to be inserted from the inside slots out. I have 4 slots and the two sticks are like in this example in brackets.... I(I)(I)I Would you say this is correct?

iLucas
Apr 24, 2011, 03:48 PM

Ok cool. I have 2 sticks of ram 2x 1GB. I read that they are supposed to be inserted from the inside slots out. I have 4 slots and the two sticks are like in this example in brackets.... I(I)(I)I Would you say this is correct?

I believe so.
In my late 2003 G5 the slots are like this

and the ram is installed with each corresponding number.

adcx64
Apr 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
You mentioned zapping the nvram, but did u try the pram? Let me know how the ram switch works out.

Hrududu
Apr 24, 2011, 04:32 PM
You mentioned zapping the nvram, but did u try the pram? Let me know how the ram switch works out.
nvram also resets the PRAM

Hrududu
Apr 24, 2011, 04:35 PM

If you got the power supply from my AASP, I would charge about $269 for it installed. Logicboard.. just get a new computer.

iLucas
Apr 24, 2011, 04:43 PM
If you got the power supply from my AASP, I would charge about $269 for it installed. Logicboard.. just get a new computer.

if its a failed logic board then i agree you should just buy a new PowerMac G5
Macofalltrades.com (http://macofalltrades.com) has them for a fair price and they are guaranteed to work. I have never had a bad experience with them

adcx64
Apr 24, 2011, 06:19 PM
like i stated, hopefully it is just a bad stick of ram causing the crashes and kernel panics.

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 12:38 AM

Hi I've tried swapping the Ram around. I took the 2x1gb out and put 2x128mb original ram for this spec in. Still I get the chime and just hangs at the apple screen. Whilst the original ram was in there I tried to reset the nvram, set defaults etc.. When I type reset-all it does nothing. It just sits there when it should restart?? I think my friend has some hardware test CDs for his MacBook would they work also on G5? And also would it tell me if the Logic Board is gone? Thanks.

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 12:41 AM

I also tried just one stick of ram but that just resulted in a black screen with the power light on the monitor flashing. I presume it needs a pair to boot?

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 02:49 AM

I read somewhere about it possibly being the video card, I don't of any way to check that?

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 03:07 AM

Would a fresh install make a difference. Obviously if the Logic board is knackered it won't make a difference.

adcx64
Apr 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
If it is possible, try to do a fresh install. Remember to put the ram back in though.
It could also be a different hardware related problem. Do you have any printers or other peripherals other than your keyboard and mouse conneced, disconnect them and try again. Try and disconnect your cd rom and extra hard drives to rule out if a the problem is related to them.

Hope it helps!

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 10:55 AM

Hi, I will probably try a fresh install after my new pram battery arrives. I don't have any other things connected ie: printers etc.. I only have one hard drive and an external HD where all my music and music projects, samples are stored. Hopefully I can get it working as I have some important music projects to finish. Thanks for your reply I will post back and keep things updated. :)

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 12:12 PM

I need my mac back so have tried to reinstall pressing C during start up doesn't do anything, it just hangs at the apple screen. Then 5 mins later the fans take off. :(

adcx64
Apr 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
It is definitely the power supply. I really wouldn't mess with it anymore to make sure nothing else breaks. I doubt it's the pram battery though. Sorry to say, but the power supplies are super expensive!

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 01:58 PM
Is that a definate power supply problem then? grrr.

pressing option during boot up takes me to select from either my HD or install disk, i select either one and nothing happens.

I guess i need someone to take a look and confirm its the power supply. Either that or i just buy a new mac. I only paid 100 for the G5 off Ebay so was a proper bargain, just a shame its broke.

Gutted. :(

rickvanr
Apr 25, 2011, 02:19 PM
What type of G5 is it?

Those symptoms happened to me when my liquid cooling system sprung a leak. 18 months ago I had it replaced for free out of warranty, I doubt they're still doing that though, but it might be worth a phone call, you never know. I wouldn't spend any money on it

normanway
Apr 25, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi, the G5 serial is CK442HA4S8H.

I didnt buy it brand new so i wouldnt be covered by any warranty.

I think the way forward is to buy a new one or second hand with warranty or apple care plan.

Thanks

slanted
Apr 25, 2011, 07:02 PM
A few weeks ago on my new to me powerpc G5. I tried all these suggestions but what worked for me was reseating the video card.

I'm guessing some corrosion was affecting the connections. No problems since. I would try it and I hope it works.

zen.state
Apr 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
I know this isn't exactly constructive to say but this is why I stay away from ANY Mac with a G5 chip. Just look at all the G5 issues on the first page of threads.

The G5 CPU and all the technology around it is something for both IBM and Apple to be ashamed of forever in my opinion. As a huge lover of PowerPC hardware myself I am ashamed of the G5.

End rant.

adcx64
Apr 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
G5's also run SUPER hot.

normanway
Apr 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hi, I've tried reseating the video card several times now and still no Joy.
Also today I thought I had some progress as I powered on holding down option selected my HD and it went to the apple screen (Which it usually does) but this time the Cog was spinning around. It spun for a while then a box appeared saying I must restart.

Also when I try to reset nvram in OF after typing reset-all I press enter and it does nothing, just like pressing the spacebar.
Also I can't enter in safe mode or single mode.

Help. :-)

adcx64
Apr 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
To me, it really sounds like a power supply issue. If I were you, I would leave it turned off until I got a replacement, to make sure that I didn't blow anything else. A faulty power supply can fry an entire system!

666sheep
Apr 26, 2011, 04:07 PM
There's nothing that indicates faulty PSU. If you'd buy replacement one, it most probably wouldn't solve your problem.
This is rather logic board or graphics card issue. But it's hard to tell which one of them without having at least spare graphics card :(

You can try also all slots combinations with pair of RAM sticks. (1-1, 2-2 etc).

normanway
Apr 26, 2011, 04:16 PM
Ok, i guess i'm gonna try the cheap option first and get a graphics card, im not looking at replacing the power supply or logic board as the money i spend on them i could put towards a mac mini intel or something. But first im gonna read up on all forums about known problems with Mac mini's or something else.

Onwards and upwards i suppose. I just need to try get some personal data off my hard drive.

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve this problem.

Cheers.

666sheep
Apr 26, 2011, 04:21 PM
For testing purposes it may be even the cheapest PCI card (such as ATI Rage PCI). Mac version OFC.

normanway
Apr 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
Ok thanks, i will take a look, something cheap just for testing purposes would be great.

Any other suggestions let me know. Thanks

adcx64
Apr 26, 2011, 04:37 PM
if the new video card doesnt work, just take it back for a refund!

normanway
Apr 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Yes I'll definately get a refund on it. Mind u I'm only gonna be getting a cheap 10 one for starters. If it's the video card, any reccomendations for a new one?

adcx64
Apr 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
go for an nVidia card, or a replacement of the one you already have. im not sure if PC video cards will work, but if they do, you could try stores like Best Buy.

Elspeth9
Jul 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
I have a 2006 PowerMac G5 with dual Power PC processors. When I lboot up it asks for my system password, which I provide. However, instead of letting me log on, it goes to blue screen then asks for password again. Repeatedly. I know the password is correct - I tried intentionally typing an incorrect password and it just shakes it off. I tried booting in safe mode, but to no avail. I recently had my boot drive die and had to have a new one put in and reload OS 10, but I've used it since then and before this started to happen. Any ideas about what could be wrong and what I could do about it?
Thanks!