Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
let me begin with a disclaimer; Edesignuk's mighty networking guide did not fix this so here i go.

Im getting a wireless network properly installed (hub and all that) at the weekend, me and my dad are finally getting round to it. so i figured we could test out PC-Mac internet sharing.

I had major problems as im new to the whole Mac thing I just didnt know what to do. but edesignuk's guide helped me to SEE other computers (well, just 1 computers -XP+OSX lan) files and folders. but for some reason i could not seem to share an internet connection.

but because my only Wifi enabled computer is my laptop im having just a few problems.

SO! the setup goes like this, quite easy to follow its all in a line.

ADSL modem--- Desktop XP home---[ethernet]---laptop XP home---[802.11b]--- Powerbook

although i have tried;

ADSL modem--- Laptop XP home---[802.11b]---powerbook with no sucess

so what im trying to do is share my broadband connection to my laptop, then on to my powerbook.
can computers do this? just that im having IP conflict errors. and i've lan-ned up computers before but this is just above me...

help? :)

at this moment in time i really am not bothered about sharing files, just an internet connection.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Silly question, but why not just go with a wireless router? It may cost a little more, but at least it'll work! And won't be dependent on your Windows laptop.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I agree with Hemingray - using a wireless router, such as the ones Linksys offers, will make this task MUCH easier. The setup I use at home is like this:

Cable Modem<->1 Port Router<->Ethernet Hub<->All other devices (including wireless access point)

This setup allows everybody to connect, no matter what method they use, and it also means that everyone can share files, since that traffic doesn't go through the router (the router actually filters it out). It isn't cheap though...

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
yea i am probably going to get a router this weekend, after all I'm not paying :cool: just wondered if what i was doing was possible or if i just wasted an hour or so

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I got my wireless router from Dell when my dad bought 2 PCs (a desktop and laptop for my little brother an him) for free. I mean, we bought a crappy 4-port for my dorm room from walmart for like 40 bucks i think... i mean, the router isn't going to be that expensive, even if you get it from some overpriced place (IMO) like Office Deopt. But the purchase is up to you... good luck man...

mim

macrumors 6502
Not sure if this will work, but in the networking setup you can specify the router's IP address. Come to think of it, you may have to set your networking prefs to manual (no DCHP) as I don't think windows has a built in DCHP server. Anyway, where the setup says "router" simply put in the address of your laptop.

Like I said - no guarantee this will work, but it can't hurt to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.