Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.
hey hey.
i'm sure i've seen a thread about this problem that i have, i've done a few searches but can't find it so i'm gonna ask in hope that someone can help or point me in the right direction.
ok i have a usb thumb drive, i can fill it up with files and stuff but when i delete them i dont get the memory back, it's like there is some hidden files that i can't delete so when i need to fit soem more stuff on i have to go to disk utility an erase it, which is a pain in the arse.
anyone know why this happens and how i can stop it?
bye d bye

p.s hope this made sense, it always looks a mess when im typing on here.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
You empty the trash after you put the files in it right? Because if you just drag the files the the trash and then eject the drive, the files have not been deleted. You have to empty the trash to actually delete files.

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.
ahh thanks for that, ijust tried emptying the trash after deleting stuff and it worked :)

im on mac osx 10.3.8 and the drive format is mac os extended.

err, i've just added three files but when i look on disk utility it says there are 4 folders and 6 files on, hmmm

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
evil_noodle_ said:
err, i've just added three files but when i look on disk utility it says there are 4 folders and 6 files on, hmmm

I believe that's including the invisible system files.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
evil_noodle_ said:
im on mac osx 10.3.8 and the drive format is mac os extended.

Might I suggest reformatting it FAT32? Just in case you have to take/copy something to/from a WinTelThon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.