PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] oh no! Macbook air has something stuck inside it! *solved* :)

dudeofswim
Apr 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
There's something inside my audio jack , looks almost like some sort of small tip or lead or something. (Could be jack related) I can't plug anything into the jack. Audio on speakers is fine though.

I have the 13" air. What can I do? Tried dislodging it with a small pin, but that didn't really help.

AppleCare?

Edit: Solution: Go to Apple Store. The thing that was inside just chipped out.

IngerMan
Apr 24, 2011, 10:18 PM
There's something inside my audio jack , looks almost like some sort of small tip or lead or something. (Could be jack related) I can't plug anything into the jack. Audio on speakers is fine though.

I have the 13" air. What can I do? Tried dislodging it with a small pin, but that didn't really help.

AppleCare?

Can you take a picture of it?

dudeofswim
Apr 24, 2011, 10:21 PM

sure its really small, DSLR should be able to grab it though.

IngerMan
Apr 24, 2011, 10:26 PM
sure its really small, DSLR should be able to grab it though.

ha ha, Well the right tool will get the job done. I have some very small needle noise pliers that the end would fit inside the port. You need a tool like that, Sears sells them. Or maybe your best bet is Apple care.

jlblodgett
Apr 24, 2011, 10:31 PM
Did YOU stick something inside it?? (If so, AppleCare probably won't apply, in which case your needle nose pliers are probably your only option)

Did you buy it and it came that way?? (If so -- take it back ASAP)

dudeofswim
Apr 24, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yup. Right tool, for the right job but I need to find
Did YOU stick something inside it?? (If so, AppleCare probably won't apply, in which case your needle nose pliers are probably your only option)

Did you buy it and it came that way?? (If so -- take it back ASAP)

I certainly didn't purposefully stick it in there. in fact, I don't even know how it got in there, possibly from my bag , I don't think so since its always in a sleeve. I found out when my headphone didn't fit when it fit a day ago. :confused:

Yeah. I might not have pliers that small though. That too this a BTO mac. To get to the jack, you'd need to get to the logic board.

Picture coming up. Kinda hard to see still but visible.

:(

dudeofswim
Apr 24, 2011, 11:09 PM

Here you go, zoom in with light , One edited in photoshop to help you see it better.
http://ploader.net/files/135ffe7e159f35707898af90de4a2749.png
http://ploader.net/files/12b4e33ed5910c923697b9ca15682388.png

cherry su
Apr 24, 2011, 11:12 PM
Here you go, zoom in with light , One edited in photoshop to help you see it better.
Image (http://ploader.net/files/135ffe7e159f35707898af90de4a2749.png)[/URL]

There's no image posted :(

dudeofswim
Apr 24, 2011, 11:14 PM
There's no image posted :(

I see it? IF you don't click here

dudeofswim
Apr 25, 2011, 12:21 AM
I see it? IF you don't click here

Any word on what applecare/genius bar can do about this?

ZipZap
Apr 25, 2011, 04:17 AM
You wont really know until you take it in to Apple.

dudeofswim
Apr 25, 2011, 01:28 PM
You wont really know until you take it in to Apple.

It's BTO so what could they do other than try to repair it?

IngerMan
Apr 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
Boy it looks like you could get at it with a sewing needle and using a good LED flash light for line of sight:confused:

al2o3cr
Apr 25, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm wondering if this might be the same issue as people were experiencing with the latch for detecting digital cables, but in reverse. More info here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=239287

Failing that, the good news is that on the MBA the jack is on a separate I/O board, so you're not out the price of a logic board.

SidBala
Apr 25, 2011, 05:09 PM
Are you sure something is stuck there? The port does need some force for insertion into my MBP.

And are you sure you are not just looking at the optical out port?

Legion93
Apr 25, 2011, 06:35 PM
It's Steve Jobs

IngerMan
Apr 25, 2011, 07:30 PM
Maybe you guys can not see the picture clear on your MBP. But on a MBA you can clearly see there is something at the bottom. :eek:

dudeofswim
Apr 25, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'm wondering if this might be the same issue as people were experiencing with the latch for detecting digital cables, but in reverse. More info here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=239287

Failing that, the good news is that on the MBA the jack is on a separate I/O board, so you're not out the price of a logic board.

That's really good news :) Thanks!

and as for optical port/force...I was using it the day before as a headphone jack, it worked just fine. Then when I tried to plug my headphones, they wouldn't fit. When I looked more carefully , I saw that there was something preventing the plug from going in any more.

lol @ Steve Jobs comment...I am not just plugging it in wrong :) :D

IngerMan
Apr 25, 2011, 07:42 PM
That's really good news :) Thanks!

and as for optical port/force...I was using it the day before as a headphone jack, it worked just fine. Then when I tried to plug my headphones, they wouldn't fit. When I looked more carefully , I saw that there was something preventing the plug from going in any more.

lol @ Steve Jobs comment...I am not just plugging it in wrong :) :D

I am in the metal cutting business and it looks like a metal chip formed from a mill cutter:confused: Or maybe a drop of solder from the male part:confused: Regardless is was not there at one time. It may have been smashed in from the force of the pushed connection on your part but I would think it would not take to much effort to dislodge it;)

dudeofswim
Apr 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
I am in the metal cutting business and it looks like a metal chip formed from a mill cutter:confused: Or maybe a drop of solder from the male part:confused: Regardless is was not there at one time. It may have been smashed in from the force of the pushed connection on your part but I would think it would not take to much effort to dislodge it;)

That could be it, it looks almost like a piece of lead. Judging from the marks in the port it may well be lead.It's one strong piece of lead though. I've tried poking it with a paper clip and other things. Won't move. Will try your suggestion of a sewing needle though.

dudeofswim
Apr 25, 2011, 08:11 PM

Actually now that I think about it, it might be possible that its some sort of defect, either that or somehow I got a piece of lead jammed up the head phone jack. Either way , I might have to go for something like this, though I'm kinda doubtful that this will work since the end is just a tip.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=Internal&from=&to=en&a=http://www.zonaapple.com/2010/12/como-salvar-su-mac-cuando-se-ha-roto-un-mini-jack-dentro/

Beanoir
Apr 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm surprised nobody else has suggested the age old matchstick trick to remove the offending object.

Sometimes it happens that the end tip of your headphone jack breaks off and becomes lodged in the port. Make sure you can see that there is definately something lodged first using a flashlight. If so then:

Using a thin matchstick, stick a very small dab of superglue on the tip of it, now poke it right to the end of the headphone port and make contact with the offending object, give it time to set, then slowly pull it out.

This is a pretty common method and you'll find numerous videos of how to do it on Youtube.

Worst case scenario you get your matchstick stuck too, but you'd be pretty clumsy to do that.

dudeofswim
Apr 27, 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm surprised nobody else has suggested the age old matchstick trick to remove the offending object.

Sometimes it happens that the end tip of your headphone jack breaks off and becomes lodged in the port. Make sure you can see that there is definately something lodged first using a flashlight. If so then:

Using a thin matchstick, stick a very small dab of superglue on the tip of it, now poke it right to the end of the headphone port and make contact with the offending object, give it time to set, then slowly pull it out.

This is a pretty common method and you'll find numerous videos of how to do it on Youtube.

Worst case scenario you get your matchstick stuck too, but you'd be pretty clumsy to do that.

Thanks! Thats a good idea.
The only issue is, the thing in front of it (the part where it would stick) is just like a thin strand. I might make it worse if I put some glue in there and it fails to come out, because it isn't strong enough.

Here's the pic, taken with LED flash. Woah. Image is too big. Here is link instead http://ploader.net/files/f16c08c4beb9054521d9e84ac1fe39b6.png

Mac Heretic
Apr 27, 2011, 02:55 AM
It could also be a contact plate for ground/signal, an essential part but maybe a bit twisted.
Gold/copper color leads to that direction in guessing game.
So, think carefully before implementing "Use the force" -command.

RealScience
Apr 27, 2011, 04:40 AM
If you have an Apple Store nearby, make an appointment and ask them to look at it. If it's a trivial problem, they will probably fix it for you under the warranty. If it's not, you will know how much it will cost to get it fixed right (and ask them how they would do it). There are many things that can go wrong if you start sticking pliers and superglue in there (generally true of many things in life, not just MacBook ports).

I had an internal SuperDrive that was malfunctioning completely through my fault, and I asked them to look at it and let me know how much it would be. And the guy said "hey, you don't ask for a lot of service, i'll give you this one [under warranty]." Can't guarantee that you'll get a nice person like that, of course. My suggestion is to go in there, explain the problem honestly (don't know what happened, keep it in my sleeve, but can't be 100% sure that something didn't fall in there). Just don't act entitled to something for free and demand it. They're people too, and they're given some leeway in how they process warranty treatments. If you treat them with respect, I think they'll take care of you to the extent that they can under Apple's rules.

Jemi9OD
Apr 27, 2011, 01:29 PM
This same thing happened to my coworker's MBP. He even had the headphones that had left their tip in the jack. He ended up using superglue on the very tip of a pen tube - the little thin tube that the ink is in. Used a bit of paper around it to keep it from getting stuck in the jack.

ie: roll the paper up around the pen tip, put it into the headphone port, then push the pen down towards the headphone tip. Let it sit, then pull it all out.

He was much more cavalier about attempting a self-fix though, since he's out of warranty. In your case, i'd probably suggest taking it to Apple first - you never know, they may fix it for you, saving you much anxiety.

Best of luck regardless!

dudeofswim
Apr 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
If you have an Apple Store nearby, make an appointment and ask them to look at it. If it's a trivial problem, they will probably fix it for you under the warranty. If it's not, you will know how much it will cost to get it fixed right (and ask them how they would do it). There are many things that can go wrong if you start sticking pliers and superglue in there (generally true of many things in life, not just MacBook ports).

I had an internal SuperDrive that was malfunctioning completely through my fault, and I asked them to look at it and let me know how much it would be. And the guy said "hey, you don't ask for a lot of service, i'll give you this one [under warranty]." Can't guarantee that you'll get a nice person like that, of course. My suggestion is to go in there, explain the problem honestly (don't know what happened, keep it in my sleeve, but can't be 100% sure that something didn't fall in there). Just don't act entitled to something for free and demand it. They're people too, and they're given some leeway in how they process warranty treatments. If you treat them with respect, I think they'll take care of you to the extent that they can under Apple's rules.

Absolutely! Thanks for your help (you too Mac Heretic and Jemi9OD and everyone else) . I'm going to book an appointment with the Genius Bar and lets see what happens. The people at the Genius Bar are usually very helpful.

I've tried at times over the past few days to use headphones, and I realize, "Why won't it ... oh right" so, you don't know whatcha got till its gone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVD6_BGV8mM).

I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

dudeofswim
Jun 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
Absolutely!
I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

So, I finally went to an Apple Store. The genius looked at it, took out a little small screwdriver or for lack of a better phrase small pointy thing and stabbed at it. He found out that it was soft and can break away. So he kept stabbing and stabbing and it chipped away. It was definitely too small to be a earphone component. Tested it out and it works just fine! :D

YMMV. but ultimate solution: Take it to an Apple Store.

Out of warranty: Try the above solutions or Chip away at it (YMMV, disclaimers and such)

IngerMan
Jun 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
Music to my ears:)