http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4283/X1-RearView.png

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4283/X1-FlatViewFromSide.png

Screen: 13.3" 1366x768
CPU: Intel Core i5-2520M (2.5GHz)
GPU: Looks like Intel HD 3000
Storage: 160GB SSD
RAM: 8GB
Height: 21.5mm (0.83 inches)

The screen is a shame and it is not as thin as MBA but otherwise it looks interesting. I know we have many threads about the Samsung 9 but since there are so many of those, I thought maybe people are interested of this one too.

The CPU is the most interesting part since it is a normal 35W part, thus the IGP shouldn't suck that much either. The screen is a disappointment but 8GB of RAM sounds good.

No word on availability but a Swiss reseller is selling it for 2791 CHF which is equal to about 3200$.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4283/lenovo-x1-leaked-sandy-bridge-gets-thin

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
no offense mate but I dont think any POS Lenovo can compare to a MBA in build quality. Anything designed by a chinese company cant compare.
Chinese and good quality should never fit together in a sentence.

And im chinese myself so please dont accuse me of being racist. Its just that Chinese goods suck so much even chinese people dont buy them

Hellhammer
Apr 25, 2011, 07:31 AM
no offense mate but I dont think any POS Lenovo can compare to a MBA in build quality. Anything designed by a chinese company cant compare.

And im chinese myself so please dont accuse me of being racist. Its just that Chinese goods suck so much even chinese people dont buy them

Lenovo is one of the few PC OEMs that has good build quality, especially the ThinkPads are very, very tough and well built. MBAs and other Macs are made in China and other Asian countries so that is the same. You are just generalizing Chinese people and companies too much.

Beanoir
Apr 25, 2011, 07:34 AM
MBA is made in China too..

Designed in US, made in China.

I've got a Lenovo as my work laptop, pretty good build quality to be honest, OK so it's not as chintzy as an Apple, but it's not designed to be.

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 07:35 AM
Lenovo is one of the few PC OEMs that has good build quality, especially the ThinkPads are very, very tough and well built. MBAs and other Macs are made in China and other Asian countries so that is the same. You are just generalizing Chinese people and companies too much.

nah I agree IBMs used to be tough but not so much lenovos. I have a T23 and T30 still functioning right here in my house :)

My X201 hinge broke after 3 months of use :eek:

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 07:38 AM
MBA is made in China too..

Designed in US, made in China.

I've got a Lenovo as my work laptop, pretty good build quality to be honest, OK so it's not as chintzy as an Apple, but it's not designed to be.

made in china is alright just like all our iphones, ipads and macs are. its the design bit i suppose. also QC comes into play very evidently and there is a great disparity between standards at different factories.

I know this because I have a business based in China and I deal with shady suppliers everyday. How else do you think they can manufacture external DVD drives for $2.81 USD :eek:

stockscalper
Apr 25, 2011, 07:45 AM

Indeed.

peskaa
Apr 25, 2011, 07:49 AM
Specs are nice, and I'm very suprised by the 35W CPU part - particularly as they're claiming a huge battery life on these puppies. 160GB SSD over 128GB is also appreciated, and so is the amount of RAM - however, with all those high specs, it'll cost a packet.

Still, sticking with my MBA ;)

Boston007
Apr 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
The ignorance is surprising sometimes -"It's made in China" LOL
And where do you think all your Apple products are made.

Lenovo makes solid computers, even after being sold by IBM.

This machine looks NICE. Those specs are solid

8G ram!!

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 07:57 AM
The ignorance is surprising sometimes -"It's made in China" LOL
And where do you think all your Apple products are made.

Lenovo makes solid computers, even after being sold by IBM.

This machine looks NICE. Those specs are solid

8G ram!!

read again

i mentioned that Apple Products are made in China but their build quality is impeccable you know why? Due to two factors

1. Better technical design than the Competition. Look at the M11x and all their hinge design issues

2. Better QC. Anyone in the industry knows that Apple holds its manufacturers to a higher standard than as per the norm in the industry.

I am saying that Lenovo lacks maybe one or both

Hellhammer
Apr 25, 2011, 08:00 AM
1. Better technical design than the Competition. Look at the M11x and all their hinge design issues

MX11x is not the same as Lenovo X1.

2. Better QC. Anyone in the industry knows that Apple holds its manufacturers to a higher standard than as per the norm in the industry.

Studies beg to differ:

http://files.macbidouille.com/mbv2/news/news_11_09/laptop-reliability.png

Unless you have used this specific Lenovo X1 and MBA, stop talking about build quality because all you are doing is generalizing based on your opinion that all Chinese stuff has bad build quality. If you haven't used it or even heard from someone who has used it, then you have absolutely no idea about the build quality.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 25, 2011, 08:48 AM

The computer you're using right now is probably Made in China. The parts inside are probably MIC as well.

Re: bolded text- is it correct to say "Way to generalize/assume" here?

read again

i mentioned that Apple Products are made in China but their build quality is impeccable you know why? Due to two factors

I am saying that Lenovo lacks maybe one or both

1. The hinge issue has been rectified. Dell tech came up to my office with parts in hand the day after I called in and did the repair on the spot. Even gave me a free Dell portable wireless mouse for my inconvenience. No issues since (~4 months since repair now)

2. Build quality between my Alienwares, Macs and Sonys have all been consistently 'good'. Work IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad has been running for 3 years, no issues at all.

I'm not saying that the X1 is the best laptop in the world or anything, but your blanket statements (again correct me if I'm using this in the wrong context) are simply incorrect.

aleni
Apr 25, 2011, 09:07 AM
people in this forum like me will hate this kind of thread, there will be no MBA killer because they all are running windows.

Beanoir
Apr 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
I don't remember anybody saying it was an MBA killer....

Why do so many people on this forum take a dim view of anything "non Apple" it's kind of pathetic really.

Twe Foju
Apr 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
if the GPU is HD3000, then i still think it's not the Air Killer

and yeah +1 to the above post, no other 11 / 13 light notebook is the killer because they are all not using OSX :D

ReallyBigFeet
Apr 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
Lenovo Thinkpad's are durable, well-spec'd corporate workhorses. Unfortunately, every one I've ever seen has had a craptacular screen. Murky, dim, not vibrant at all. Otherwise, great machines with ports and CPU's that are arguably best in class, and incredible keyboards.

Too bad looking at one all day is like trying to type on an etch-a-sketch. Horrid screens.....really bad.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
I don't remember anybody saying it was an MBA killer....

Why do so many people on this forum take a dim view of anything "non Apple" it's kind of pathetic really.

if the GPU is HD3000, then i still think it's not the Air Killer

and yeah +1 to the above post, no other 11 / 13 light notebook is the killer because they are all not using OSX :D

If it's not an Apple product, it's a piece of crap.

^ general consensus on this forum it seems, unfortunately.

Lenovo Thinkpad's are durable, well-spec'd corporate workhorses. Unfortunately, every one I've ever seen has had a craptacular screen. Murky, dim, not vibrant at all. Otherwise, great machines with ports and CPU's that are arguably best in class, and incredible keyboards.

Too bad looking at one all day is like trying to type on an etch-a-sketch. Horrid screens.....really bad.

Have you tried their newer models with LED backlighting? I find that those are far improved compared to their older models.

Looks like they're incorporating IPS into their new X220 as well so I think they're taking complaints about the screens seriously (...finally :p )

martm
Apr 25, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have always liked Thinkpad X series. Pictures and spec look really promising and tempting. Some more preliminary information can be found here: http://techprezz.com/2011/04/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-specs-and-images-of-ultra-thin-laptop-spotted-online/

In sum, if it had higher resolution display, i would seriously consider it instead of mighty and adorable Air.

alphaod
Apr 25, 2011, 10:24 AM

I have even owned a Thinkpad before? I have owned several Thinkpads over the years and their build quality is impeccable.

And being Chinese doesn't give you right to insult your own country's products.

entatlrg
Apr 25, 2011, 10:33 AM

You're bang on with your post. The Lenovo screens SUCK. It's been their weak point for years, they know it, don't care and choose profits over Customer satisfaction.

IPS won't matter it's that fuzzy/milky/ag coating you have to get past.

BENJMNS
Apr 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
some of you guys are so ignorant it's really a damn shame esp since apple pays you NOTHING to use their products (smh).

thinkpads are as well engineered as any macbook if not better in the areas of durability since it's built for the business user. it's the porsche 911 to the ferrari 430. surely there may be more sexiness related to the latter, but the engineering and everyday drivability of the former is rarely equaled.

between this thin x1 and the other new x220, i'm really glad thinkpad is updating its line-up as they don't change the design very often which is the marque of quality industrial engineering.

i've been staring at my air screen for a good 6 months now...it's nice but there's nothing spectacular about it to render the lenovo ones as CRAP especially the IPS display in the x220.

i'm quite tempted to sell my 13 ulti... let's see what the refreshes bring from both sides of the camp.

nebulos
Apr 25, 2011, 10:51 AM
thinkpads are great. i have a 12" X61 tablet with a 1400x1050 display. i bought it used and it works flawlessly.

that chart shows 'lenovo'. i'd be interested to see what the stats are for thinkpads in particular.

this X1 looks pretty sweet, though $3K is a big chunk of change, and like most thinkpads, is not super beautiful. and no, it doesn't run OSX. but i don't remember having seen a 'performance ultrathin' before. is this the first?

people, don't be so close minded. and don't pretend/believe that Apple doesn't have its many, many problems.

all that said, i'm waiting very patiently for the upcoming Airs.

nebulos
Apr 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
... as for the lenovo screens, i can tell you my screen is not bright and is grainy, though part of that is the pen digitizer.

the mac screens, while very bright and vibrant, to me, are weird. they're too bright, and turning down the brightness changes the picture drastically, (though that may be a general LED problem).

as has been mentioned, the new X220 is IPS, which i can tell you: I don't know anything about. but i can tell you that all the display snobs out there are very happy about that. check it out.

i've never had a problem with thinkpad's screen, but i had a 2010 MBP for a bit, and i couldn't get used to the display. it was very, very weird on my eyes.

i'm actually worried this will happen with the air too, but we'll see.

Hellhammer
Apr 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
Comments at AnandTech say that electronics are very expensive in Switzerland. Someone guessed that the US price would be around 2000$, which sounds reasonable.

stylinexpat
Apr 25, 2011, 11:03 AM
With that screen resolution I would not buy it. Would prefer a 1440x900 screen resolution.

nebulos
Apr 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
Comments at AnandTech say that electronics are very expensive in Switzerland. Someone guessed that the US price would be around 2000$, which sounds reasonable.

gotcha.

unclet
Apr 25, 2011, 11:17 AM

Those crazy Swiss and their overpriced electronics! (I can say that because I'm half Swiss;) )

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have even owned a Thinkpad before? I have owned several Thinkpads over the years and their build quality is impeccable.

And being Chinese doesn't give you right to insult your own country's products.

I am sure you have.

Im not a Chinese citizen im merely of Chinese ethnicity.

I have had good experiences with all of my IBMs. However I cant say the same of my Lenovos.

Lets just face it, even Jaguar which has been bought over by tata has suffered from a decrease in quality. Same goes for Thinkpads

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
MX11x is not the same as Lenovo X1.

Studies beg to differ:

http://files.macbidouille.com/mbv2/news/news_11_09/laptop-reliability.png

Unless you have used this specific Lenovo X1 and MBA, stop talking about build quality because all you are doing is generalizing based on your opinion that all Chinese stuff has bad build quality. If you haven't used it or even heard from someone who has used it, then you have absolutely no idea about the build quality.

Actually your graph shows exactly how less reliable Lenovos are...

I have not had the chance to use this exact model but I personally own others and they arent great. I do own a MacBook Air so i know how the quality compares to my other lenovos.

Its not even about Apple being great anymore. In fact, I am in awe of the build quality of Sony Vaios (I personally own a P)

Lastly it is a fact that chinese goods are of low quality that you cant deny

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
The computer you're using right now is probably Made in China. The parts inside are probably MIC as well.

Re: bolded text- is it correct to say "Way to generalize/assume" here?

1. The hinge issue has been rectified. Dell tech came up to my office with parts in hand the day after I called in and did the repair on the spot. Even gave me a free Dell portable wireless mouse for my inconvenience. No issues since (~4 months since repair now)

2. Build quality between my Alienwares, Macs and Sonys have all been consistently 'good'. Work IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad has been running for 3 years, no issues at all.

I'm not saying that the X1 is the best laptop in the world or anything, but your blanket statements (again correct me if I'm using this in the wrong context) are simply incorrect.

True im using a MBA now which is of course made in China.

1. Good to hear they fixed your hinge that issue still remains as a pain in the ass for my brother as Dell is quite uncooperative over in this country so great support from Dell over there.

2. I have to agree with you on Macs and Sonys and IBMs. However this is not the case for my lenovos unfortunately :(

and in fact i wasnt even talking bout reliability. I was talking about build quality how everything feels when you hold it. i think in that regard, everyone here can agree that macs totally pwn the lenovos

Exana
Apr 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
Apple R&D : Cuppertino for years
IBM then Lenovo a part of R&D and design : Yokohama for years (Lenovo YAMATO Lab)

Lenovo YAMATO Lab Introduction
Yamato has been the primary site for ThinkPad product development since its inception in 1992. Visitors will be briefed on notebook PC related technology trends including hardware subsystems, and Lenovo ThinkVantage features, followed by a ThinkPad test lab tour showing test and development labs

Booth build in China some Mac and Thinkpad models even come form Foxconn. MacBook (Air and Pro), Thinkpad and Elite/ProBook are very good laptops.

Oppressed
Apr 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
I honestly can't believe a normal powered chip like that can sport that long of battery life. You can't have your cake and eat it too, something has to give.

Also srsly gorilla glass on the screen? Now I'm beginning to understand the 3200.00 price tag.

michaelz
Apr 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
This thread doesn't make any sense. Lenovo X1 will never be a MBA challenger unless it can run OS X.

KnightWRX
Apr 25, 2011, 12:54 PM
This thread doesn't make any sense. Lenovo X1 will never be a MBA challenger unless it can run OS X.

Uh, why ? People buy computers to accomplish tasks. What tasks require OS X ? Seriously, an OS is an OS as long as it can do what you want it to do.

The Lenovo X1 looks good, it's not as thin though as a MBA, screen resolution is a tad low and 16:9 aspect is wrong. The GPU is bad. All in all, a good contender, but I still prefer my 13" MBA.

Hellhammer
Apr 25, 2011, 01:07 PM
Actually your graph shows exactly how less reliable Lenovos are...

And it destroys your baseless claim that Apple has better quality than others:

Apple's quality is average. It's not great but it's not bad either. Lenovo is a bit worse but nothing catastrophically yet. There is also the fact that Apple's cheapest laptop is 999$ while Lenovo has some sub-400$ laptops too. Those cheap laptops are included in Lenovo's figures. Usually build quality is better when the price goes up.

Lastly it is a fact that chinese goods are of low quality that you cant deny

Which applies to Apple's products as well, since they are manufactured in China.

calvol
Apr 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
X1 looks ok, good form factor, but would rather have a 13" MBA with 1400x900 anyday for home use, and a cheap, well-spec'd Dell for office work.

donster28
Apr 25, 2011, 02:45 PM
Been wanting to post something about the Lenovo x120e 11" laptop here since I got it a few days ago, but been changing my mind, afraid to get blasted hehe...Anyway's here goes:

Had MacBooks for years, the MacBook Air 11" being my latest. Since I would really like an updated MBA, I got rid of the MacBook Air and went the opposite direction and got the Lenovo 11.6" x120e with the new AMD Fusion processor...my first Lenovo ever.

Only just released a month ago, and possitively reviewed by many, here are my thoughts on the x120e:

Price:
At $549, this thing is a steal!
-1.60 AMD Fusion Processor E-320 (this is the latest AMD processor with a built in GPU, and it is quite fast!)
-2 gigs RAM (easily upgradeable)
-320 gigs HD (easily upgradeable to an SSD with trim!)
-11.6" LED (1366x768 native)
- Ethernet, VGA, USB, SD Card and HDMI ports!!!!
-6 pack removeable battery (up to 7 hours of battery life)
-and more

Form:
1. This thing is built like a tank...never was I afraid of throwing around a laptop. From the LCD hinge to the removeable battery (yes, you heard that right), this thing was well designed. The body has a tough matte surface that is nice to hold and does not easily scratch. Although I would have preferred a slightly rubbery surface, but that's just me.

2. The 'chicklet', splash proof keyboard is the best I have ever used, and yes, it's better than the MB's in my opinion.

3. Not as thin as the MBAs, but it is portable enough and thin enough to look better than any laptops out there. And I think it looks really sexy!

4. The classic 'red nub' mouse is actually pretty useful sometimes.

5. The fact that I can upgrade the RAM, HD and battery easily on this thing is a big bonus. I already popped in an extra 2 gigs of RAM and will upgrade the stock HD (5400rpm) to an SSD. And even with the stock HD, this thing is really snappy!

6. Now the slight downer, the TFT LCD is not as nice as the MBA's. Although it is an LED display, it has a narrow horizontal viewing angle (the bottom part of the screen is slightly washed out on normal viewing). Think of it as the old unibody MacBook's screen. Despite this, it is still a useable screen, specially with it's anti-glare quality. Nope, it doesn't have a glass overlay and it is useable outside. Despite my complaints, I still like it and since I will only be using this to surf the net, check email and MS Office, this was not a deal-breaker for me.

UPDATE/ADDITIONAL: Forgot to mention the HDMI out port that really works, flawlessly! I use it on my 46 inch Sony KDL46NX810 at 1920x1080 resolution.

1. What can I say, I use both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 and to me, there is nothing wrong with Windows 7. It is functional as it is fast on this lappy.

2. Instant on you say? I was surprised how fast this thing boots and recovers from sleep. I've since learned that the 'Lenovo Experience' software buil-in has something to do with this. No, this is not bloatware, it is actually useful stuff from preserving your battery life to speeding up Windows 7. Mine sleeps immediately when the lid is closed and wakes up just as fast (even faster sometimes) compared to my MBA.

3. For you MS Office fans out there, this baby runs Office like butter. If you find it a sluggish experienece on your MBA, this thing will change your mind about how fast Office really is.

4. Been using Safari on it...same speedy experience as with my MBA.

Well, that's about it I guess. I thought I can hold off on owning an MBA for now and save hundreds of dollars in the process. The small Thinkpad x120e fit the bill and I think I will be using this thing for years to come.

Over Achiever
Apr 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks donster28 for the honest review there. Glad you like it! I'm sure once you upgrade the HD to an SSD, it will feel quite a bit faster as well. How do you feel about the trackpad size on the Lenovo?

donster28
Apr 25, 2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks donster28 for the honest review there. Glad you like it! I'm sure once you upgrade the HD to an SSD, it will feel quite a bit faster as well. How do you feel about the trackpad size on the Lenovo?

No probs, my pleasure. :)

The trackpad size is just fine for me. Although smaller than the MBA's, never did my fingers go over the edge when using it...It never felt insufficient.

Believe it or not, there is a 'two-finger scroll' function built-in from Lenovo that works but not as good as the MB's in my opinion.

SidBala
Apr 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
Looks good. I wonder what the actual price will be when it launches.

Apple's QC is no better than anyone else.

Apple has made QC mistakes just like any other manufacturer. Right from the 2006 plastic Macbook's cracking cases to the MBA's cracking hinges, to the yellow screen tints of the iMacs to the iPhone4's antennagate to the iPad backlight bleeds. These are the major ones. There are some minor yet very dangerous defects like the overheating iPods and iPads.

That said, I do have a MBP 17 myself. But what I am trying to say is that every manufacturer has defects and Apple is no exception.

Beanoir
Apr 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
Lets just face it, even Jaguar which has been bought over by tata has suffered from a decrease in quality. Same goes for Thinkpads

Terrible analogy that i'm afraid, since when were Jaguar ever considered to be good quality?? Luxury cars yes, reliable or good quality, never. I have one actually, and yes I love it, but they're a crock of ***** for build quality I can assure you.

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 08:04 PM
And it destroys your baseless claim that Apple has better quality than others:

Apple's quality is average. It's not great but it's not bad either. Lenovo is a bit worse but nothing catastrophically yet. There is also the fact that Apple's cheapest laptop is 999$ while Lenovo has some sub-400$ laptops too. Those cheap laptops are included in Lenovo's figures. Usually build quality is better when the price goes up.

Which applies to Apple's products as well, since they are manufactured in China.

its not baseless. its anecdotal. i dont buy that many laptops to be able to generate a confidence interval or conduct statistical inference on make reliability. but i think you can ask pretty much anyone here how much more reliable a HP/Compaq is over an Acer :D

True no one knows how this $2000 laptop will hold up yet

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 08:05 PM
Terrible analogy that i'm afraid, since when were Jaguar ever considered to be good quality?? Luxury cars yes, reliable or good quality, never. I have one actually, and yes I love it, but they're a crock of ***** for build quality I can assure you.

Sorry mate, I had a S-type that stuck with me for 6 years without a hitch :) but my new XF looks cool and all but the radiator just broke... again :(

Cerano
Apr 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
Looks good. I wonder what the actual price will be when it launches.

Apple's QC is no better than anyone else.

Apple has made QC mistakes just like any other manufacturer. Right from the 2006 plastic Macbook's cracking cases to the MBA's cracking hinges, to the yellow screen tints of the iMacs to the iPhone4's antennagate to the iPad backlight bleeds. These are the major ones. There are some minor yet very dangerous defects like the overheating iPods and iPads.

That said, I do have a MBP 17 myself. But what I am trying to say is that every manufacturer has defects and Apple is no exception.

I have to +1 on the apple having defects too but from my personal exp, Apple,Sony,HP have much better QC

mrsir2009
Apr 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
At least that thing has a big trackpad :D

BTW no one can still compare to the unibody design Apple's got going.

BENJMNS
Apr 25, 2011, 11:39 PM

no it hasn't u have no idea what you're talking about along both fronts

2IS
Apr 26, 2011, 12:27 AM

Typical ignorant response from an Apple fanboy who doesn't know any better.

rhinosrcool
Apr 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
I have had several Thinkpads. Currently, I have a (no longer made) Thinkpad T60 (IPS Flexview). To this day, it's screen blows my 15" MBP's screen away (I love my MBP). Unfortunately, Lenovo, the last few years, has produced some lousy screens.

Aside from the screens, Lenovo has produced some nice laptops: X60/61 Tablet, T400 series, and x200 series. This X1 looks good. Also, IBM/Lenovo's keyboards are far superior to Apple laptops. Again, even though my MBP's keyboard is ok, my T60's keyboard is a lot better.

For me, my MBP is overall the best laptop I've ever had. Also, I prefer OSX to Windows. However, there are alternatives out there.

TheMacBookPro
Apr 26, 2011, 02:12 AM
I have had several Thinkpads. Currently, I have a (no longer made) Thinkpad T60 (IPS Flexview). To this day, it's screen blows my 15" MBP's screen away (I love my MBP). Unfortunately, Lenovo, the last few years, has produced some lousy screens.

Aside from the screens, Lenovo has produced some nice laptops: X60/61 Tablet, T400 series, and x200 series. This X1 looks good. Also, IBM/Lenovo's keyboards are far superior to Apple laptops. Again, even though my MBP's keyboard is ok, my T60's keyboard is a lot better.

For me, my MBP is overall the best laptop I've ever had. Also, I prefer OSX to Windows. However, there are alternatives out there.

It's a good thing they're going back to putting IPS displays in their newer models then :)

Beanoir
Apr 26, 2011, 02:52 AM
Sorry mate, I had a S-type that stuck with me for 6 years without a hitch :) but my new XF looks cool and all but the radiator just broke... again :(

The S-type is a Ford not a Jag.

Cerano
Apr 26, 2011, 04:04 AM
no it hasn't u have no idea what you're talking about along both fronts

please you'll know what i mean after having multiple repairs with an XF

it looks nice, looks tough and all. but wait till you experience the interior crumbling under sunlight and the radiator leaking after only 6months.

then tell me that its quality is just as good as before

Cerano
Apr 26, 2011, 04:05 AM
The S-type is a Ford not a Jag.

it was merely during the era in which ford owned jag that i agree but look at the company now

Cerano
Apr 26, 2011, 04:06 AM
Typical ignorant response from an Apple fanboy who doesn't know any better.

you have your opinion just as i have mine ;)

Beanoir
Apr 26, 2011, 06:03 AM
it was merely during the era in which ford owned jag that i agree but look at the company now

My point was that your analogy to Jaguar was a bit wrong, Jaguar have improved in quality ten fold since being bought by an Indian company (Tata).

Jaguar since the late 70's (and probably before) through to the late 90's were renowned for poor build quality, terrible rust, mechanical issues, a string of replacement engines on the mid 90's V8s under warranty et etc (the list is long) - I could go on but this forum is not big enough! The cars that were built in the 2000's were just Ford cars and don't really count much to be honest, but even so they're not great.

The later variants under the new ownership are well accepted by the masses for being having far greater build quality and reliability and so hence your comments about foriegn ownership of Jaguar bringing down the quality is wrong.

You can argue until you're blue in the face but you're arguing against a plethora of information from owners and car critics that says otherwise.

Cerano
Apr 26, 2011, 06:21 AM
My point was that your analogy to Jaguar was a bit wrong, Jaguar have improved in quality ten fold since being bought by an Indian company (Tata).

Jaguar since the late 70's (and probably before) through to the late 90's were renowned for poor build quality, terrible rust, mechanical issues, a string of replacement engines on the mid 90's V8s under warranty et etc (the list is long) - I could go on but this forum is not big enough! The cars that were built in the 2000's were just Ford cars and don't really count much to be honest, but even so they're not great.

The later variants under the new ownership are well accepted by the masses for being having far greater build quality and reliability and so hence your comments about foriegn ownership of Jaguar bringing down the quality is wrong.

You can argue until you're blue in the face but you're arguing against a plethora of information from owners and car critics that says otherwise.

i know jags have never been known for reliability but as mentioned i have had a better experience with my s-type than my xf :) thats all

KnightWRX
Apr 26, 2011, 07:02 AM
Is the hole Cerano dug himself into so deep that we now have to deflect the thread from the original subject ? This is about a Lenovo laptop, not cars.

Cerano
Apr 26, 2011, 07:06 AM
Is the hole Cerano dug himself into so deep that we now have to deflect the thread from the original subject ? This is about a Lenovo laptop, not cars.

my apologies lets get back to the main topic :)

Funkymonk
Apr 27, 2011, 05:25 PM

thinkpads are build incredibly well. probably the only laptops other than macbooks worth buying. what the hell are you talking about?

SnowLeopard2008
Apr 28, 2011, 01:18 AM
ThinkPads are really well built. They don't have the design aesthetic that Macs have, but the build quality itself is second to none. Lenovo continues to build ThinkPads with the same quality as when IBM built them. If I were to buy a PC for whatever reason, I'd either get a Lenovo ThinkPad or a Sony Vaio. Those two are the only Windows PC vendors that build machines worth paying money for. My Dad used a ThinkPad for over 4 years. I think the DVD drive broke after 3 years. On the other hand, the SuperDrive on the MBP that I just sold broke after 1 year. AppleCare replaced it of course.

To Cerano, Chinese goods make up pretty much everything and anything you buy. From computers to shoes to home furnishings, most of what we buy every day is made in China. Yes, some of it is crap. But then again, Apple computers, ThinkPads, Sonys, etc. were all made in China. Heck, you were made in China too.

aleni
Apr 28, 2011, 01:26 AM
Heck, you were made in China too.

hahaha. so funny :D

KnightWRX
May 16, 2011, 06:33 AM
Engadget has a few more details :

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/lenovo-adds-thinkpad-x1-to-laptop-comparison-guide-outs-ips-scr/

- IPS screen (a rarity!)
- USB 3.0
- 10 hours of battery life
- 3 lbs
- 0.625 inches thick

Too bad it probably has the Intel POS GPU, it seems to be an all-around nice machine that will compete very well with the MBA (depending on price of course, the MBA is aggressively priced in that segment).

johnhalsted
May 16, 2011, 08:56 AM
no offense mate but I dont think any POS Lenovo can compare to a MBA in build quality.

This 10000%

TheMacBookPro
May 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
This 10000%

You ever touched a ThinkPad?

Yeah didn't think so. You probably think a Panasonic Toughbook is flimsy too?

johnhalsted
May 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
You ever touched a ThinkPad?

Yeah didn't think so. You probably think a Panasonic Toughbook is flimsy too?

Yeah I once had a thinkpad, it was the biggest bag of ***** I ever had, hence why I got rid and never ever bought one again...

and no, I quite like panasonic they are very reliable, that's why I just bought a panasonic hdc-sd600 :):)

protip: stop guessing

accordmac
May 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
our company used lenovo for 3 years. we just dropped them. I can say the quality is no where near Apple. I would know. I service them.

Every since Lenovo took over from IBM, it has dropped. This can only explain why prices have fallen.

KnightWRX
May 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
Every since Lenovo took over from IBM

The thing is, Lenovo was already manufacturing the ThinkPads when they were IBM branded. They only took over the name when IBM dropped the line.

So any "perceived" drop in quality is just that : Perception.

johnhalsted
May 16, 2011, 11:37 AM
The thing is, Lenovo was already manufacturing the ThinkPads when they were IBM branded. They only took over the name when IBM dropped the line.

So if you are producing a product for a company and you happen to buy/gain/whatever the company, you would run it the exact same way without any changes in quality or cost?

SIR YOUR STATEMENT IS FALSE

2IS
May 16, 2011, 02:13 PM
So if you are producing a product for a company and you happen to buy/gain/whatever the company, you would run it the exact same way without any changes in quality or cost?

You're making the claim that there is a drop in quality, the burden of proof is on you. That said, where is your proof? Your opinion isn't proof, it's just that, an opinion. A misguided one IMO.

Hellhammer
May 16, 2011, 02:45 PM
our company used lenovo for 3 years. we just dropped them. I can say the quality is no where near Apple. I would know. I service them.

Every since Lenovo took over from IBM, it has dropped. This can only explain why prices have fallen.

According to studies, Apple's quality is not superior. It's average when compared with other OEMs, though there is the fact that Apple does not make sub-$999 laptops while other OEMs mainly sell ~500$ laptops.

BENJMNS
May 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
i very much like my mba, but i had to get the screen replaced due to a white blotch and i baby the thing like all my other gadgets.

i love the lenovo x220 and this x1. again, somewhat tempted to move back to PC land. thinkpads are the real deal.

for all this made in china, jaguar/tata/ford comparison... some of you guys struggle a great deal with thinking rationally and it's a pretty all right piece of entertainment for the rest of us who get it :D

-2011 Range Rover owner fitted with a 510hp JAGUAR engine by Ford.

halledise
May 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
The screen is a shame and it is not as thin as MBA but otherwise it looks interesting.

The screen is a disappointment but 8GB of RAM sounds good.

No word on availability but a Swiss reseller is selling it for 2791 CHF which is equal to about 3200$.

that last line blows it for me - $3200 !!!
even if it ticked all the boxes, that there blows it out of the water.
plus can it run Mac OSX?
no, I thought not ;)

bloodycape
May 16, 2011, 04:44 PM
plus can it run Mac OSX?
no, I thought not ;)
Legally? No, but if we are talking about illegally then, yes but that must be discussed other places?

If I am not mistaken this has the same gpu as the 13in MBP, so I don't seeing that being too bad as it should be fine for most peoles needs.

KnightWRX
May 16, 2011, 06:21 PM

Like someone else said : burden of proof is on you. Facts before us :

- Lenovo was the manufacturer for IBM's line of ThinkPad.
- Lenovo is still the manufacturer for the ThinkPads, under their own brand.

Nothing has changed but the manufacturer name on the box for all we know. If you have proof of a drop of quality, share it with us, otherwise, my statements remain true since they are based on fact.

coldmack
May 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Engadget has a few more details :

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/lenovo-adds-thinkpad-x1-to-laptop-comparison-guide-outs-ips-scr/
I just read their biased review of the X1 and not sure how the cheese they gave this garbage box. First point it run windows that alone should give it a rating no higher than 4. The second point, it has an Intel cpu and gpu, which that alone should not make it over 1.5. And who in the hot down stairs needs a hardened glass on a laptop? Wouldn't that make it less durable? Shoot.

Apple really needs to update the Air with something NOT Intel based and call it game over for the rest of market cause the best has been made.

62tele
May 16, 2011, 08:00 PM
I have a hard time understanding these posts. Challenger?

Does it run OS X?

If not, it's nit a challenger!

One should assume that someone who is interested in a MBA wants to run OS X. Further, if one likes a MBA, it's a fair guess that they've considered the alternatives and decided to go with a Mac.

Comrarative reviews are good for consumer reports, CNET, PC World, etc but hold little worth here IMO.

KnightWRX
May 16, 2011, 08:16 PM
Does it run OS X?

Few people own computers to run OSes. Most people own computers to perform tasks. I know I don't care what OS is on my computer, as long as the tasks I want accomplished are possible.

For years, my OS of choice was Linux. Now it happens to be OS X because Apple suddenly made laptops that interested me and were the best choice for what I wanted. Frankly, any Unix Operating System does whatever I need to get down on a computer.

Lenovo's X1 (whatever Coldmack says, hello, the MBP is the same Intel CPU+GPU combo... but at least the X1 has a IPS display, which is more than can be said about Apple laptops) has some good things going for it. It lacks a proper GPU for my taste, but then again, so will the next MBA for all we know (and we know thanks to the 13" MBP).

entatlrg
May 16, 2011, 08:19 PM

You're wrong here, it's common knowledge the quality in Thinkpads did indeed drop in a number of areas after Lenovo took over the brand...

KnightWRX
May 16, 2011, 08:21 PM
You're wrong here, it's common knowledge the quality in Thinkpads did indeed drop in a number of areas after Lenovo took over the brand...

Enlighten us then. If it's common knowledge, surely you can point to facts about this.

The point is : Lenovo didn't take over the brand, Lenovo simply finally put their names on it. They already were the ones controlling the ThinkPad brand, only they put a IBM sticker in the corner instead of a Lenovo one.

bloodycape
May 16, 2011, 10:03 PM
but at least the X1 has a IPS display, which is more than can be said about Apple laptops) has some good things going for it. It lacks a proper GPU for my taste, but then again, so will the next MBA for all we know (and we know thanks to the 13" MBP).
Actually, from all the reviews that have come out today say there is no IPS screen despite what it say on Lenovo's website. It could be an option that is coming later on, but there isn't much known about this. On an interesting note, the newest rumor is that sometime in the summer the X1 will be getting a quad core option.

coldmack
May 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
Actually, from all the reviews that have come out today say there is no IPS screen despite what it say on Lenovo's website. It could be an option that is coming later on, but there isn't much known about this. On an interesting note, the newest rumor is that sometime in the summer the X1 will be getting a quad core option.
:rolleyes: I hope people like trash soup, because that is what you getting with Intel quad core cpu.

shady28
May 16, 2011, 11:28 PM
I love think pads, but I have to say quality did drop. The T series really was never the same after the T3x, T4x were good too but not great. After that they were really not much different from a Dell. The T61 was the last IBM branded T series.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

jduffy
May 17, 2011, 06:09 AM
Hmmmm, a cheap plastic body versus a metal body. Winbloz versus OSX.

That's not a challenger, that's a poor excuse for a wannabe.

watchthisspace
May 17, 2011, 08:37 AM

Windows*

I can't see it selling well imo.. it's well.. not what most consumers would want. Maybe for the business'

Hellhammer
May 17, 2011, 09:45 AM
I can't see it selling well imo.. it's well.. not what most consumers would want. Maybe for the business'

Computers like these have always been meant for business users. The average consumer goes to Walmart and buys a 400$ Acer instead. Companies do buy quite a lot of computers though so it's not a dead market.

Ping Guo
May 17, 2011, 11:43 AM

Haha this is so true. Chinese people want foreign electronics, appliances, cars, and clothing. Domestic stuff is frowned upon. That said, some local brands like Haier produce decent stuff for the money, it's just not competitive internationally.

"Made in China" should actually read "Designed and engineered in California/Japan/Korea from Taiwanese and Japanese components, with some final assembly done in China." ;)

There's a big difference between a "made in China" Apple or Vaio and a domestically designed and engineered product. Thinkpad quality has declined after being taken over by Lenovo - cheaper plastics, the metal frame under the keyboard has been removed, and they're generally less solid than before, but still quite good compared to other Windows laptops on the market.

bloodycape
May 17, 2011, 01:42 PM

You do know the X1 is made out of a mixture of plastic and magnesium alloy with a metal roll cage inside, and that the machine is made to meet MIL standard for shock, dust, and temperature like many Thinkpads do. Plus, they keyboard is spill resistant(had a roommate spill water by accident middle of the night, and if his notebook had this feature it would have save it). If you didn't know, now you do.

There's a big difference between a "made in China" Apple or Vaio and a domestically designed and engineered product. Thinkpad quality has declined after being taken over by Lenovo - cheaper plastics, the metal frame under the keyboard has been removed, and they're generally less solid than before, but still quite good compared to other Windows laptops on the market.
As far as I know only the Thinkpad Edge, and SL/L series lack the metal roll cage; but, then again the SL/L are for the budget conscious who want a Thinkpad, and the Edge is more marketed towards the enterprise user who wants a little more style, but doesn't want to give up the Thinkpad support, and service.

As a note my Vaio was designed and made in Japan. It seems like Sony makes at least 1 and at most 2 machine still in Japan, and the prices seem to reflected it a bit.

cirus
May 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
:rolleyes: I hope people like trash soup, because that is what you getting with Intel quad core cpu.

"Trash soup" I don't quite get what you are saying. Only windows computers have AMD CPUs. All apple CPUs (in computers) use intel. :rolleyes:

You do know you are bashing both sides.

And currently, Intel CPUs are the best in the consumer market.

coldmack
May 17, 2011, 01:51 PM
"Trash soup" I don't quite get what you are saying. Only windows computers have AMD CPUs. All apple CPUs (in computers) use intel. :rolleyes:

You do know you are bashing both sides.

And currently, Intel CPUs are the best in the consumer market.

So what if you can get a PC with AMD, I am a Apple-Head and as such I support real Apple products. And please don't tell me you believe in the Intel lie we are being fed?

Hellhammer
May 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
And please don't tell me you believe in the Intel lie we are being fed?

What lie? Intel makes the fastest x86 CPUs. That is a fact you cannot deny.

halledise
May 17, 2011, 02:55 PM
Few people own computers to run OSes. Most people own computers to perform tasks. I know I don't care what OS is on my computer, as long as the tasks I want accomplished are possible.

you're dreaming and very much in the minuscule minority
to pretty much every Mac owner OSX is the key, followed closely by the sweet design and included software.

coldmack
May 17, 2011, 03:42 PM

You are missing one thing, Garbagtel on both, which automatically make it a fail.

coldmack
May 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
you're dreaming and very much in the minuscule minority …
to pretty much every Mac owner OSX is the key, followed closely by the sweet design and included software.

Nope, to me its not about design or OSX(this one at least not first), but the fact that did didn't use the pure garbage Intel was and is slanging.

What lie? Intel makes the fastest x86 CPUs. That is a fact you cannot deny.
That's like saying I can eat 10 tacos in 5 minutes, it's a pointless point. Intel is like an old dog that need to be taken behind the shed and taken out softly.

altecXP
May 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
Nope, to me its not about design or OSX(this one at least not first), but the fact that did didn't use the pure garbage Intel was and is slanging.

That's like saying I can eat 10 tacos in 5 minutes, it's a pointless point. Intel is like an old dog that need to be taken behind the shed and taken out softly.

Are you just pointlessly rambling? Yes get rid of the #1 CPU maker that is currently WELL ahead of the market in CPU performance and power usage. The only place AMD beats it is in price. Really AMD only wins in price because Intel lets them. Intel owns its own fab and AMD has to contract out. Intel can drop prices any time it wants and kill AMD.

(written by a person that until he bought a macbook has only used AMD products. I love AMD but I also know reality.)

KnightWRX
May 17, 2011, 06:57 PM
you're dreaming and very much in the minuscule minority

If you're talking about Mac owners, then you're in the minority since Macs are the minority. ;)

Again, people don't own computers to play around an OS. They own a computer to surf the web, read e-mail or waste time on Facebook. A computer is a tool to perform tasks.

cirus
May 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
@Coldmack Please share with us your ideal computer. Keep it real and within the limits of the present.

AWallen90
May 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
It looks pretty cool but that is crazy expensive.

halledise
May 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
If you're talking about Mac owners, then you're in the minority since Macs are the minority. ;)

Again, people don't own computers to play around an OS. They own a computer to surf the web, read e-mail or waste time on Facebook. A computer is a tool to perform tasks.

(someone tell him he's dreaming)

my friend - this is a Mac forum hence the vast majority of people here are Mac owners and very much in the majority.

I could care less that a whole stack more people in the world use PCs with windows and other OS's on them.
I came over to the Mac OS in the days of System 7 and have seen nothing but elegant progression ever since.
I was a computer trainer specialising in Windows 3.1 then 95 and 98 etc so know a little about the frustrations associated with MS DOS;
XP and Vista did little to change my view.

I still contend that thinking people (think different, remember that ad) prefer Macs and the OS that goes along with it.
Kids prefer Macs because they are intuitive and easy to learn

I appreciate that many are addicted to Windows and know nothing else - fine.

but people buy computers based on what OS is running and what they can do with it.
agree with you that very few play around with a particular OS and that 'a computer is a tool to perform tasks'

that's not the issue.
there's no right or wrong here - just good taste vs far better taste.
throw-together bitzer vs sweet synergy

peace out ;)

2IS
May 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
Are you just pointlessly rambling?

Either that or he's delirious. I really have no idea what any of his posts are talking about.

cirus
May 17, 2011, 08:42 PM

my friend - this is a Mac forum hence the vast majority of people here are Mac owners and very much in the majority.

I could care less that a whole stack more people in the world use PCs with windows and other OS's on them.
I came over to the Mac OS in the days of System 7 and have seen nothing but elegant progression ever since.
I was a computer trainer specialising in Windows 3.1 then 95 and 98 etc so know a little about the frustrations associated with MS DOS;
XP and Vista did little to change my view.

I still contend that thinking people (think different, remember that ad) prefer Macs and the OS that goes along with it.
Kids prefer Macs because they are intuitive and easy to learn

I appreciate that many are addicted to Windows and know nothing else - fine.

but people buy computers based on what OS is running and what they can do with it.
agree with you that very few play around with a particular OS and that 'a computer is a tool to perform tasks'

that's not the issue.
there's no right or wrong here - just good taste vs far better taste.
throw-together bitzer vs sweet synergy

peace out ;)

Still, if say a better OS was released (unlikely but possible) would you switch?

KnightWRX
May 17, 2011, 09:07 PM

I'm not, so I doubt anyone would lie to me.

And even here, I bet people don't own a computer to run an OS. An OS doesn't do very much besides run processes and display a UI.

People here own computers (Macs in this instance, like my MBA) to perform tasks. Video editing, Internet browsing, audio creation, photo editing, coding, VPN into work, etc... They do not own a computer to run an OS.

I run Mac OS X on my MBA because it performs all the tasks I need it to perform. If I didn't have OS X, i'd hunt for some other OS that lets me get on and be productive with my tool. It used to be Linux on Dell hardware for me.

Computers are tools. OSes are tools. Applications are tools. The tasks they enable is what is important. If you want to e-mail and OS X didn't allow that, you wouldn't run OS X just because it's OS X. You'd ditch it for something that lets you e-mail.

coldmack
May 18, 2011, 12:10 AM
@Coldmack Please share with us your ideal computer. Keep it real and within the limits of the present.

A 12in Powerbook with PPC G7 cpu, and/or the rumored ARM based(quad core non-Intel variant) Air, but in a 12in form factor.

halledise
May 18, 2011, 04:38 AM
Computers are tools. OSes are tools. Applications are tools. The tasks they enable is what is important. If you want to e-mail and OS X didn't allow that, you wouldn't run OS X just because it's OS X. You'd ditch it for something that lets you e-mail.

looks like a tool, sounds like a tool, is a tool :D

TheMacBookPro
May 18, 2011, 05:25 AM

You are missing one thing, Garbagtel on both, which automatically make it a fail.

Judging by your spelling of Windows, you two must not be biased at all.

/sarcasm

Winbloz and Garbagtel? Seriously? How old are you people?

Hellhammer
May 18, 2011, 07:18 AM

For some reason, the old dog is still the fastest dog in the block. AMD is currently the three-legged dog that tries to keep up with Intel but the gap is getting bigger year after year. The only way to stop Intel would be to stop buying their products. Currently, you don't have many choices and in many areas, Intel is the only company that can deliver decent performance. Why would a consumer pay the same $ and get a worse product? People want the biggest bang for their buck and in most cases, that is what Intel provides.

Don't start to whine about Intel's unethical business models and crap like that. Business is business and often it's not nice to watch. If you take a look at any of today's successful companies, you will realize that they all got their dark side. You can't make billions of profit every quarter and keep every employee and rival happy at the same time.

BENJMNS
May 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not, so I doubt anyone would lie to me.

And even here, I bet people don't own a computer to run an OS. An OS doesn't do very much besides run processes and display a UI.

People here own computers (Macs in this instance, like my MBA) to perform tasks. Video editing, Internet browsing, audio creation, photo editing, coding, VPN into work, etc... They do not own a computer to run an OS.

I run Mac OS X on my MBA because it performs all the tasks I need it to perform. If I didn't have OS X, i'd hunt for some other OS that lets me get on and be productive with my tool. It used to be Linux on Dell hardware for me.

yup.

people who split hairs over function this v. function that are born to become lower to middle mgmt IT.

having now used the osx for work, i can't say it's any better or worse than windows7.

what i do care about is productivity and results. since I use the office system a lot, it's definitely 2nd rate on the osx.

halledise
May 18, 2011, 11:35 PM
yup.

people who split hairs over function this v. function that are born to become lower to middle mgmt IT.

having now used the osx for work, i can't say it's any better or worse than windows7.

what i do care about is productivity and results. since I use the office system a lot, it's definitely 2nd rate on the osx.

buy a peecee and be happy running office :D

BENJMNS
May 19, 2011, 01:01 AM
buy a peecee and be happy running office :D

someone put up an offer for a 13 ultimate and 27" acd both in mint shape and u got it :D

nebulos
May 29, 2011, 01:35 AM
available (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=135A781CA29B4ECB9ADAD8E72CF6FD61&tabname=Features): $1200 and up, ~ $1500 and up with (128GB) SSD.

specs (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/ww/pdf/X1_datasheet.pdf)

at first glance, i'm not sure why anyone would go with this over the X220, which is cheaper, weighs less, is only a bit thicker, and has way better battery life, ... though the X1 is a bit more elegant.

X1 did end up being much cheaper than most thought.

anyways, fyi.

MacFever
May 30, 2011, 08:53 AM
I actually prefer this over the ASUS x21....which seems overly shiny...lol...

This Thinkpad X1 is still truly a no compromise ultra thin machine...might not be the thinnest one but certainly has all the ports I would ever want...

It's a serious contender in the Ultra Thin category

Apple should add at least these to keep me most of us interested...

USB 3.0 (usb 2.0. is old technology these days and USB 3 ports are backward compatible with 2.0 so what's the hold up on swapping out for these newer faster ports...)

Thunderbolt
SATA III
new LV/ULV CPU

chuckcalo
May 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
I always thought all the Lenovos were huge and ugly, this one looks kind of good..

max90034
Jun 25, 2011, 03:36 AM
I have a hard time understanding these posts. Challenger?

Does it run OS X?

One should assume that someone who is interested in a MBA wants to run OS X. Further, if one likes a MBA, it's a fair guess that they've considered the alternatives and decided to go with a Mac.

Comrarative reviews are good for consumer reports, CNET, PC World, etc but hold little worth here IMO.

Why? There is nothing really special about MBA - OS X relationship. I bought 2 MBA (12" and 13") in December. Love them. They both had been booted to OS X may be for 10 hours total together ( mainly to test battery life that was slightly better in OS X than in Win 7). Will buy new MBA as soon as Apple release it and will install Win 7 right away. I switched to MBA after using lenovo x301 for about a year (had t61p and t40p before). X301 was a great laptop. Still prefer MBA.

2IS
Jun 25, 2011, 11:03 AM
Why? There is nothing really special about MBA - OS X relationship. I bought 2 MBA (12" and 13") in December. Love them. They both had been booted to OS X may be for 10 hours total together ( mainly to test battery life that was slightly better in OS X than in Win 7). Will buy new MBA as soon as Apple release it and will install Win 7 right away. I switched to MBA after using lenovo x301 for about a year (had t61p and t40p before). X301 was a great laptop. Still prefer MBA.

Just an FYI, disabling Aero theme (transparency) in Win7 increases battery life quite substantially.

max90034
Jun 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
Just an FYI, disabling Aero theme (transparency) in Win7 increases battery life quite substantially.

Thanks. Good to know for long flights. I also bought external battery that works well.