PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook G4 15.2" wireless reception problem...

bdaley6509
Mar 7, 2005, 07:43 PM
Does anyone else have any signal strength issues with the latest series of powerbook g4's? I have a 1.5ghz machine that seems to lose signal strength just by going upstairs. I have a wireless G+ Speedbooster Linksys router, and I even purchased a Linksys range extender. The extender seems to help a bit, but still not the performance I would expect from my otherwise excellent Apple product. Thanks for the feedback ahead of time.

PlaceofDis
Mar 7, 2005, 07:46 PM
how far away are you from the router approx?

have you checked to make sure that the airport card is totally seated?

it should be in the battery bay, wouldnt hurt to check and make sure that its all the way in and tight

Flyinace2000
Mar 7, 2005, 07:49 PM
how far away are you from the router approx?

have you checked to make sure that the airport card is totally seated?

it should be in the battery bay, wouldnt hurt to check and make sure that its all the way in and tight

I noticed that my PB (see sig) consistantly gets 1 bar less wireless reception then my old G3 PB or my mom's iBook G4. Go figure. Any other idea? Or just a design thing with the Alum enclosure.

Mechcozmo
Mar 7, 2005, 07:56 PM
I noticed that my PB (see sig) consistantly gets 1 bar less wireless reception then my old G3 PB or my mom's iBook G4. Go figure. Any other idea? Or just a design thing with the Alum enclosure.

It IS metal... the G3s were plastic, iBooks were and still are plastic.

The things running along side your screen are the antennas for AP and BT, BTW. Make sure they have a clear shot towards the router.

parrothead
Mar 7, 2005, 08:24 PM
My old Tibook always got really bad airport reception. I think all Tibooks were notorious for this. I have found that my Albook (1.25) gets better reception than the tibook but it is worse than my wife's 700mhz iBook. I think it has something to do with the metal case. Also even with a range extender, I would think the wireless signal would be interfered with in varying degrees depending on what the walls/ceilings/etc were made of that it had to go through.