PDA

View Full Version : Reading Date from database in Ipad

ashwinr87
Apr 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hi,

say for example I have the following piece of code with which I retrieve the date from the database

DateLabel.text = [CommonHelper getDateString:objSample.startDate :@"MM/dd/yyyy"];
where

i) objSample is an object of my Sample entity

ii) startDate is an attribute in the Sample entity declared as @property (nonatomic, retain) NSDate * startDate;

iii)CommonHelper is another file where I have the getDateString: function as below,

+ (NSString *) getDateString: (NSDate *) date: (NSString *) format
{
NSDateFormatter *dateFormat = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
[dateFormat setDateFormat:format];
NSString *dateStr = [dateFormat stringFromDate:date];
[dateFormat release];
return dateStr;
}
Using Sqlite Database Browser, if I enter the value as "04/23/1999" to the Sample's startDate attribute , the value which is displayed in DateLabel.text is a totally different value and if I enter a value such as "76851234", the value which is displayed in DateLabel.text is "05/23/2001".

Since I am new in dealing with database, I am unable to understand why this happens... Would someone be able to tell me why this happens? and is there a way I can directly enter the date into the database using SQLite Database Browser so that that date is displayed?

is the format of the date I enter into the SQLite database browser a "Unix Date Format"? if so, how would I be able to convert the date into unix date format so that I know for certain what would be the exact date I would be displaying on my app...