Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Ok, I know there has been so much talk about a possible MBA refresh in June.. Here is my concern. I just got a MBA 11 Ultimate for a Birthday gift.. I have another week to return it to the Apple Store.. Should I wait for the refresh or just keep this one.. Backlit keyboard is not an issue and dont think it will return in the Air line again.. Being they got me the Ultimate with the 4GB Ram and 128 SSD thats good enough for me ( just using it for surfing the web, email, and some netflix ) My concern is the SandyBridge and the lesser quality graphics. And maybe a UPDATE in a SD card slot that would be nice in the refresh.. I also checked my SSD and it is the newer version Samsung with the FAST read and write speed. So Im good with that.. Any help would be great.. Im thinking to KEEP what I have for my needs! I would hate to shoot myself in the foot and return this one wait and then be pissed..

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
We know the next MBA will have a better cpu. But we also suspect it'll have a weaker gpu.

There's also the chance the next MBA will have a backlit keyboard.

There's a solid chance the price points will remain the same.

For me, I'll keep my current 11" 128/2 11" air and see what the test on the next revision show. If the graphics performance is only equal or less than then my model, AND the backlit keyboard is still MIA, then I'll gladly keep my current model.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
If you have a computer that you are able to use in the meantime, sell you MBA over craigslist and make due with the other computer until the refresh comes. If you can get a really good price for your current model then obviously you would only be putting very little cash towards the refresh.

If you DONT have a temp. computer to use, then wait until the refresh and see what it has to offer. You can still sell your MBA over craigslist for a little bit less and put it towards the newer refresh.

For your needs you will be fine with your current model. Since it was a gift you can use whatever money you have saved now and pull the trigger for a whole lot less.

People here successfully buy and sell during every refresh or 2 with very little to shell out for price differences. Take care of your mac, do daily research for MBA news, and make the decision.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I agree completely. Enjoy your new Birthday gift.

No one but Apple knows a date, what SB will or won't bring or anything at this point.

To many uncertainties ... now the speed is good, so is the heat and fan noise ... best we've ever seen on the Airs.

Have fun.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
i decided to go ahead and buy a current edition MBA....I think the only thing that I want in a new release would be thunderbolt as that could be amazingly useful especially since laptops nowadays don't have express card slots anymore except the 17"....

Todays model is a great value especially refurbished and will last years for its purpose...

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Oh wait, there's a MacBook Air coming out in 2012, and then there's an update in 2013. You gotta hold of till 2014 and get the new ones with turbo-boost CPUs, but the even new models looks much sleeker, unfortunately it's not out till 2015.

Next thing you know, I'm suffering from diabetes in a care home.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
for 1 thing we all know is that the SB will most likely have a weaker GPU for games, and if gaming on the Air isn't your idea, well, a refresh might be better, but as for now, just keep your Air, i am sure, a lot of people would still buy the current Air even when the refresh is out

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
keep it, what are you high?!

OH NOES! NEw MAC out in this year!

Guess what, new ones come out every year!

Good grief

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.