PDA

View Full Version : MBA 11 Keep Or Return




harleymhs
Apr 25, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ok, I know there has been so much talk about a possible MBA refresh in June.. Here is my concern. I just got a MBA 11 Ultimate for a Birthday gift.. I have another week to return it to the Apple Store.. Should I wait for the refresh or just keep this one.. Backlit keyboard is not an issue and dont think it will return in the Air line again.. Being they got me the Ultimate with the 4GB Ram and 128 SSD thats good enough for me ( just using it for surfing the web, email, and some netflix ) My concern is the SandyBridge and the lesser quality graphics. And maybe a UPDATE in a SD card slot that would be nice in the refresh.. I also checked my SSD and it is the newer version Samsung with the FAST read and write speed. So Im good with that.. Any help would be great.. Im thinking to KEEP what I have for my needs! I would hate to shoot myself in the foot and return this one wait and then be pissed..



robeddie
Apr 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
We know the next MBA will have a better cpu. But we also suspect it'll have a weaker gpu.

There's also the chance the next MBA will have a backlit keyboard.

There's a solid chance the price points will remain the same.

For me, I'll keep my current 11" 128/2 11" air and see what the test on the next revision show. If the graphics performance is only equal or less than then my model, AND the backlit keyboard is still MIA, then I'll gladly keep my current model.

Eggtastic
Apr 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
If you have a computer that you are able to use in the meantime, sell you MBA over craigslist and make due with the other computer until the refresh comes. If you can get a really good price for your current model then obviously you would only be putting very little cash towards the refresh.

If you DONT have a temp. computer to use, then wait until the refresh and see what it has to offer. You can still sell your MBA over craigslist for a little bit less and put it towards the newer refresh.

For your needs you will be fine with your current model. Since it was a gift you can use whatever money you have saved now and pull the trigger for a whole lot less.

People here successfully buy and sell during every refresh or 2 with very little to shell out for price differences. Take care of your mac, do daily research for MBA news, and make the decision.

entatlrg
Apr 25, 2011, 06:41 PM
I agree completely. Enjoy your new Birthday gift.

No one but Apple knows a date, what SB will or won't bring or anything at this point.

To many uncertainties ... now the speed is good, so is the heat and fan noise ... best we've ever seen on the Airs.

Have fun.

christophermdia
Apr 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
i decided to go ahead and buy a current edition MBA....I think the only thing that I want in a new release would be thunderbolt as that could be amazingly useful especially since laptops nowadays don't have express card slots anymore except the 17"....

Todays model is a great value especially refurbished and will last years for its purpose...

Legion93
Apr 25, 2011, 08:42 PM
Oh wait, there's a MacBook Air coming out in 2012, and then there's an update in 2013. You gotta hold of till 2014 and get the new ones with turbo-boost CPUs, but the even new models looks much sleeker, unfortunately it's not out till 2015.

Next thing you know, I'm suffering from diabetes in a care home.

bowlerman625
Apr 25, 2011, 08:49 PM
keep and enjoy it

SR71
Apr 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
keep and enjoy it

This.

Twe Foju
Apr 26, 2011, 06:55 AM
for 1 thing we all know is that the SB will most likely have a weaker GPU for games, and if gaming on the Air isn't your idea, well, a refresh might be better, but as for now, just keep your Air, i am sure, a lot of people would still buy the current Air even when the refresh is out

BornAgainMac
Apr 26, 2011, 07:10 AM
I would keep it.

Big D 51
Apr 26, 2011, 08:19 AM
i would keep it.

+1

Boston007
Apr 26, 2011, 10:15 AM
keep it, what are you high?!

OH NOES! NEw MAC out in this year!

Guess what, new ones come out every year!

Good grief