PDA

View Full Version : Which one again

pizza
Mar 8, 2005, 07:10 AM
Here's a another question about which mac to get. For me I am looking at buying a used G4 Quicksilver or Mirror door mac. I am also looking at the mac mini. What I want to do is 2D animation, 3D and video editing. I just need something until Fall when I will buy a G5. I currently have a pismo 400mhz and its not bad, thinking about upgrading to the Daystar 550 G4 processor. The Mac mini looks good for the value but I am concerned about hard drive storage space(being able to put mulitple drives in one machine) and video card. I am afraid that if I buy the Mac mini, the 32mb video chip will outdate too soon for the stuff i want to do. The 2D programs I am going to use rely more on processor than video card but I know 3D programs rely on everything. By 2D I dont mean flash. I mean real 2D animation programs.
Please help, want peoples opinion who know about these machines, please dont point me to old posts.
Thank you

Bear
Mar 8, 2005, 07:18 AM
Why not until the fall for the G5? I suggest you save your money and buy a PowerMac G5 when the next set of updates are announced.

Another possibility for you is to buy the low end iMac G5 which might be a better deal than buying a used PowerMac.

iGary
Mar 8, 2005, 07:46 AM
Why not until the fall for the G5? I suggest you save your money and buy a PowerMac G5 when the next set of updates are announced.

Another possibility for you is to buy the low end iMac G5 which might be a better deal than buying a used PowerMac.

I agree you should wait it out.

I have some batch actions that are becoming agonizing on my maxed out G4, but I'll wait until the dual 2.0's go below 2,000 dollars.

armandocerna
Mar 8, 2005, 05:32 PM
I would wait too if I were you. If you really want a new machine right away you could get a mac mini and add a firewire hd on there for the extra storage you say you need and that could be moved over to the G5 when you upgrade and then you could sell the mini to recoup the cost of the G5