PDA

View Full Version : External Mic for iPad 2

ranny2
Apr 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
Hi,
I am soon to be the owner of an iPad 2, and was wondering what the best external mics were? I am looking for the best sound quality for the best price.
It must be compatible with GarageBand, and the iMovie voice over.
Thanks!

frankiepdx
Apr 26, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'm waiting for the same thing. I want to record a guitar amp and never really liked the sound of direct hookups. Apogee will soon release their mic called "mic".

There is the iRig Mic if you'd like. It has 3 settings for loud, vocal, and room mic. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be getting the cleanest sound. I wanted to try one from Guitar Center but they will not do a cash refund because of sanitary reasons.

I found a few videos on YouTube where some have used the camera connections kit with a USB hub to power external mics. Too many hoops to jump through for me. I'll sit back and wait.

Hopefully you find what you're looking for.

ranny2
Apr 26, 2011, 03:12 PM
Thank you. I saw on CNET UK, that they found the internal mic on the iPad 2 had better sound quality than the iRig, which I was surprised about. I think I might wait for the Apogee Mic.
My uses are vocal recording and music (loud music.. bagpipes!) recording.
Thanks for your help.

TheUndertow
Apr 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Thank you. I saw on CNET UK, that they found the internal mic on the iPad 2 had better sound quality than the iRig, which I was surprised about. I think I might wait for the Apogee Mic.
My uses are vocal recording and music (loud music.. bagpipes!) recording.
Thanks for your help.

Waiting for the Apogee as well...I wonder if their issues with the Jam might be delaying this.