Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi. I have noticed that recent changes to the MR VB code affect the way images are treated in quotes. If you quote an image post like this,

stevenstills.jpg

Last edited:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi. I have noticed that recent changes to the MR VB code affect the way images are treated in quotes. If you quote an image post like this,

you get this ^^ with the IMG tags replaced with URL tags. It is nice to not have to deal with large images in quotes anymore, but not having a reference image thumbnail has a negative (IMO) on the critique process. Any comments? This started around April 21st, the same time the Admins put in those like/dislike buttons (which I dislike).

Here is the code for the original and the quote with squiggly brackets to make it visible.

{IMG]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9159/stevenstills.jpg[/IMG}

{url=http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9159/stevenstills.jpg]Image[/url}

Dale

Apologies for the consecutive post. It's needed to show the effect.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

stevenstills.jpg

If you rewrap the image link in TIMG tags, you can replicate what we use to do.

This new system is probably better, as the default behavior is not to requote the full size image. You now need to consciously change the tags to get the quoted image to show, and if you're going to change the tags, then you might as well use TIMG.

However, ideally, the code would automatically quote images with a TIMG tag... perhaps someone should suggest that to the mods?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
If you rewrap the image link in TIMG tags, you can replicate what we use to do.

I saw your hack to this in one of the comment threads, but wasn't sure how you did it. I'm mainly interested in why MR did this and what the folks in DP think of it. MR introduced two advertised modifications to the code about the time this came to light. One being the "rate" buttons and the other code that replaced videos with "video" tags is any quote. Both were discussed in the Site and Forum Feedback threads. I'm wondering if photos came along with this for the ride or did they make a special change for us, too.

Dale

Waybo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
New Hampshire

Here is the code for the original and the quote with squiggly brackets to make it visible.

Dale

So, to make a quote show a thumbnail, we now need to take it the the way it is automatically quoting, and:
1. change the bracket+url= to {timg} (using regular brackets, not squiggly ones!) then
2. drop the word "Image" and
3. change the bracket+/url to [/img] THEN it will work?!? :eek:

stevenstills.jpg

yup, that works ...

But, geeze! That's a lot of steps, guys! :mad:

Dale, (or someone!), please let us know if there is anything we, as a group, can do to encourage the "powers that be" to repair this, at least back to the way it was ... and, ideally, to make the "quote button" automatically convert images to thumbnails. Thanks!

(At least we still have the "Preview" button or this would have been a mess while I figured it out! :D)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks to the Moderator who moved this to the Forum Feedback. Having found the thread regarding new code that swaps imbedded video to a video tag in quoting, this is the best forum for the discussion.

That said, does the revised VB code create the affect discussed here on purpose or is it a side effect that can be tuned out? The folks in the DP forum like to have thumbnails to referr to in quoting images and we have gone to great lengths to educate users on how to use TIMG tags to keep this clean.

As you can see, some regulars are already figuring out how to reverse engineer the fine work of the MR technical staff.

Dale

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's pretty good IMO and makes sense.
In many threads people quote a post with a huge image and then you fill up pages with the same image over and over again.

you get this ^^ with the IMG tags replaced with URL tags. It is nice to not have to deal with large images in quotes anymore, but not having a reference image thumbnail has a negative (IMO) on the critique process. Any comments? This started around April 21st, the same time the Admins put in those like/dislike buttons (which I dislike).

Dale

Apologies for the consecutive post. It's needed to show the effect.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This was an intentional change. I think it was to prevent massive image quotes, though I guess there's some debate about its utility?

arn

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
To quote a couple of users from earlier in the day...

Quotes swap the image with an link reading "image". Is this intended or not?

It's intended.

Auto-linking quoted images is another change we've wanted to make, and the time was right. The purpose is the same in both cases: to have a link instead of a video or image in a quote.

If you think a video or image needs to be displayed in a quoted post you can edit it back to the non-link syntax. In other words, you can have it either way, but the default behavior has changed. Images embedded with TIMG aren't affected, at least for now, since small quoted images are less of an issue than large videos or potentially large images.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
This was an intentional change. I think it was to prevent massive image quotes, though I guess there's some debate about its utility?

arn

To quote a couple of users from earlier in the day...

Thanks for the clarification. For those of us who live in DP, auto wrapping quoted images in TIMG tags would be optimal, but we will adapt to this. One thing it accomplishes is to remove large images from quotes in the Picture Gallery, where users are less likely to know (or care) about quoting as thumbnails.

Now I have to re write my Quoting Images tutorial...Life in the forums is a never ending fight for Truth, Justice and the MR Way. Or something like that.:)

Dale

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
For those of us who live in DP, auto wrapping quoted images in TIMG tags would be optimal, but we will adapt to this.
Actually, having IMGs turn to TIMGs automatically would be both hilarious and shocking.
eek.gif

Try quoting this post and changing the image to TIMG.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I'm not a fan of the change but I can see why it was done.

It's a slight nuisance in the photography forum, I'll multiquote a bunch of photos from different users then have to manually remove the url and change them all over to timgs.
It becomes tedious editing quoted images from flicker and digging out the right url.
That said I can see it helping greatly elsewhere on the site, people in DP generally do the right thing and replace IMG tags with TIMG tags though, but we are a minority.

Anyway, that's my feedback. :)

Maybe someone could code up a nice Safari/Firefox extension to un-image-link -> timg your post with the click of a button for people who like to participate in threads like Photo of the Day and the Challenge. ;)

That's why we hired you, Dale. :) But in the current economy, don't you dare to ask for a raise! :cool:

:D :cool:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.