Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170104-iphoto_snow_leopard_images.jpg

Apple today released a pair of software updates via Software Update and its support download pages, bringing an updated version of iPhoto and a fix for font issues on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

iPhoto 9.1.2 adds new card themes and fixes a host of minor issues with the company's photo management component of iLife '11.
This update adds new card themes to iPhoto '11. It also improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues, including the following:

- Addresses an issue that prevented the Zoom slider from being accessible in Magnify (1-Up) view
- Fixes an issue where Toolbars were not auto-hiding in Full Screen view
- Search field now correctly performs an "includes" search when searching by text string
- Fixes minor formatting issues with book, card and calendar themes
- Message Size of emails now correctly updates when changes are made using the Photo Size menu
- Addresses an issue that prevented some iPhoto 5 libraries from upgrading correctly
- Multiple book pages can now be drag-selected when in All Pages view
- Design tools in print project panels are now accessible via separate Layout and Options buttons
- Photo backgrounds applied to a book are now preserved when book type is changed
- Tab key can now be used to navigate through all text fields in a book project
iPhoto 9.1.2 weighs in at 106.32 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later.

Snow Leopard Font Update brings fixes for handling of certain OpenType fonts.
The Snow Leopard Font Update addresses issues displaying and printing certain OpenType fonts and is recommended for all Mac OS X v10.6.7 users.
Additional detail on the update is included in an associated support document.
The update includes fixes that:

- Address an issue in which some OpenType fonts don't display correctly in certain applications
- Resolve issues printing from Preview
- Address an issue with PDF files not opening in third-party PDF viewing applications
- Resolve invalid font errors when printing to PostScript printers
Snow Leopard Font Update weighs in at 3.77 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhoto 9.1.2 and Snow Leopard Font Update

ozyr

macrumors member
May 3, 2009
U.S.
If this fixes that scrambled PDF issue with Adobe products in 10.6.7, I have no issue with a reboot. Just hope it fixes that? :confused:

turtlehead

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Finally!

I hated the fact I couldn't view my pics in TRUE full screen and hated even opening up iPhoto but after how long now? It's finally been fixed! :D

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Finally I got back the antialiased fonts on Youtube pages. I was wondering why they were gone lately.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Pretty stupid that the App Store doesn’t have the iPhoto update yet. They should surely release simultaneously! Oh well.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did it fix the I'm slow as molasses and generally a horrible experience bug?

Brasco14

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
I hated the fact I couldn't view my pics in TRUE full screen and hated even opening up iPhoto but after how long now? It's finally been fixed! :D

Really?? Have you tested it yet? I downgraded the frikkin thing because of that, and I dont want to install it again if that issue hasn't been fixed.

thebryceman

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2004
USA
Really?? Have you tested it yet? I downgraded the frikkin thing because of that, and I dont want to install it again if that issue hasn't been fixed.

Yes, it does do full screen now without any menus etc., but it takes a few seconds to kick in. Unfortunately if you go to Info or Edit then the stupid sidebar takes over again - why can't we get the old floating palettes back???

...and you still have to click on the stupid magnifying glass to get the search box to appear. Why can't the search box just be permanently be on the bottom menu instead of an extra click???

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Seriously? What happened to the days when Apple bragged you didn't have to restart for every little update made available?

I never saw Apple brag - maybe end users might have bragged out of ignorance but I never saw an official Apple PR blurb which boasted about it.

Btw, the component that handles fonts is embedded right into the system and there are a tonne of different parts of the operating system that relies on it with some files locked thus there needs to be a restart to unlock these files and update what needs to be updated.

Mac Heretic

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
A restart for a font update...? :rolleyes:

That may seem like an overkill indeed, but 10.6.7 did broke something in font department. That opentype problem has taken quite some time to fix. Seems that it was a complex and "deep" bug to hunt down. Good if they have found the culprit now. Thumbs up.

anjonjp

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Full Screen?

Hmmm...not quite sure what they have fixed in iPhoto regarding the 'Full Screen'. I have updated all of my three Macs this morning and having clicked on the 'Full Screen' icon in the bottom left of the screen, the bottom bar still remains. Question is, 1) am I doing something wrong? (if so, enlighten me please) or 2) this issue is not resolved? 3) Full screen means something different in Apple lingo :rolleyes:

Ohhh, more than iPhoto, I wish they'd get their skates on and fix the whole host of iOS issues and especially those of Airplay with AppleTV and home sharing. A new phenomenon is that media (videos) played from my iPhone either now like to cease half way through or play again for a second time...

EDIT/UPDATE: Full screen on iPhoto is working. I was too impatient with it. The toolbar does disappear after a few seconds. My apologies and my mistake.

Last edited:

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Hmmm...not quite sure what they have fixed in iPhoto regarding the 'Full Screen'. I have updated all of my three Macs this morning and having clicked on the 'Full Screen' icon in the bottom left of the screen, the bottom bar still remains.

The full screen fix is regarding the latest Developer Preview of Lion, it's now a native full screen app, like all others the full screen button is now located on the top right corner and it now works.

Attachments

• full.png
    full.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 324

Brasco14

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
The full screen fix is regarding the latest Developer Preview of Lion, it's now a native full screen app, like all others the full screen button is now located on the top right corner and it now works.

I don't get it. Does this mean that it doesnt't do anything to the snow leopard iphoto? The full screen is still not TRUE fullscreen?

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I don't get it. Does this mean that it doesnt't do anything to the snow leopard iphoto? The full screen is still not TRUE fullscreen?

Full screen on Snow Leopard is not really full screen, it just fills up the current space, while on Lion it creates a new space with the app in Full screen, it's really great and smoother.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
This fixes the issue where iPhoto opens to the middle of your library instead of where you left off.

Also seems to launch faster than before - especially after the first launch.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
It's great that iPhoto 9.1.2 finally allows to zoom in on photo without having to go into edit mode. But this update absolutely broke smooth pixel-level scrolling with magic mouse and MacBook pro trackpad. Now it jumps by row when scrolling, and after getting used to smooth scrolling it's very distracting.
One of the reasons I dumped Picasa and switched to iPhoto was this scrolling issue, and now iPhoto behaves the same, arrrgh!

Come on Apple, fix this and release 9.1.3 soon.

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
iPhoto 9.1.2 weighs in at 106.32 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later.
Unless you bought it through the App Store, in which case it is 762.1MB.

I hope Apple will be sorting out the lack of delta updates in the near future!

thebryceman

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2004
USA
Hmmm...not quite sure what they have fixed in iPhoto regarding the 'Full Screen'. I have updated all of my three Macs this morning and having clicked on the 'Full Screen' icon in the bottom left of the screen, the bottom bar still remains. Question is, 1) am I doing something wrong? (if so, enlighten me please) or 2) this issue is not resolved? 3) Full screen means something different in Apple lingo :rolleyes:

1) Click the "Full Screen" icon, then double-click on a photo to make it go full screen. The top and bottom menu bars will disappear in a few seconds - giving you a true full screen photo and nothing else - although the menus will re-appear if you move the cursor. You need to navigate using left and right arrow keys. You can still use Command-1 etc in full screen mode to do your star ratings, but Keyword Manager seems to be broken - aargh. You will also lose the full screen photo if you click on the Info or Edit buttons - so no floating palettes like iPhoto 8.
2) It's resolved, but not as good as iPhoto 8. (I want floating palettes back).
3) Possibly. But the iPhoto team still needs a good kick in the...!

silvermail

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2010
Unless you bought it through the App Store, in which case it is 762.1MB.

I hope Apple will be sorting out the lack of delta updates in the near future!
I've just updated to 9.1.3 via the App Store, but when I launched iPhoto it's still showing 9.1.2. Anybody having this issue as well? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.