Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Will a company get you to take a medical before an interview, or do they give you a medical after they hired you?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
^^^ Exam....

Depends on the job - most are after you get the job offer, contingent on passing the Medical Exam as they are the ones paying for it.

Around here, when you get a job with a Public School District, you have to pass a medical exam which includes a drug test.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I got my drug test after I was offered the job, but before I started working. It probably usually works this way because there's not really any point in drug testing you if they're not going to hire you.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
They can do a drug test.
and a test to make sure you can physically do the job but they can not legally do medical test on you and turn you down because of you insurance risk. That they can and should get nailed for.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
…Don't you live in Canada? Drug and alcohol testing of employees and potential employees is only permitted in safety-sensitive positions or following a drug or alcohol policy violation in Canada. The Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability and perceived disability — which includes drug testing pre-employment and during employment — unless the employer can prove a bona fide occupational requirement.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
…Don't you live in Canada? Drug and alcohol testing of employees and potential employees is only permitted in safety-sensitive positions or following a drug or alcohol policy violation in Canada. The Canadian Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability and perceived disability — which includes drug testing pre-employment and during employment — unless the employer can prove a bona fide occupational requirement.

The job will be at a Coal Mine, so would that be a safety sensitive job?

The mine is strip mining not underground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.