PDA

View Full Version : Belkin Smart Cover Compatible Snap Shield Case Review

Pages : [1] 2

clyde2801
Apr 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=544455

While cruising the Enki Gear Genius Case thread, I noticed mrrish discovered that some Best Buys had received the smart cover compatible Snap Shield case by Belkin. It's not on BB's website, but you have to call the closest store with the SKU (2538172) and hope you'll get an employee on the phone who will go in the back and look for it. Since we're all still talking about it on the Enki thread, but I figured the Belkin deserves its own review. I'm reposting my review here:

The BB nearest my office was able to find it in the back of the store, but there was only one left. This is Clyde bait, so naturally I got it.

Not a bad case at all. Not wild about the clear color, but I'll live. It doesn't feel like a hard case after it's installed, but defintely feels sturdier than the ebay and mall kiosk TPU's. Danged pricey enough at $39.99 (ah, the price of instant gratification), but I've resigned myself to the fact that everything in a brick and mortar store is going to be more expensive.

It does work with the smart cover (allowing the on off function and to work as a stand without much impairment), fits inside of my targus leather tote with the smart cover, and does NOT peel off my Ghost armor on the front or back. The belkin, unlike the TPU's, does not have to grip the edges of the screen with a top lip to stay attached.

It also easily attaches and detaches, but promises not to easily come loose accidentally. My gear now has a modular level of protection vs bulk....ipad with smart cover and ghost armor, add belkin case, slip into targus leather tote and bring incase origami workstation (stand and bt kb case), depending how much protection I need and how much I want to carry.

I did place a order last Sunday at gleemobile for the black case, and got an email in response saying that speck didn't ship as early as anticipated and they expect them to go out the first week of May, and they should be the first to get them. I don't think I'll demand a refund just yet, since it is a black case for slightly more than half the price of the clear. The Belkin logo isn't too obvious or glaring.

jedolley
Apr 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking about doing this when I got home. I also scored this case, but literally just sat down and haven't even unboxed it yet. My BB showed 1 instock, but they couldn't find it anywhere. The guy helping me went in the back and couldn't find it, but brought back someone that was more familiar with that section. He looked through the computer again and stated it's got to be out on the floor. We went back to the iPad accessories section (which look like a tornado had blown through), and sure enough the BB guy that was helping me found it laying between two large stacks of the Incase cases (seems no one wants those :p).

Very first still in the box impressions: The frosted plastic that Belkin is using makes it feel sort of like a TPU case, but with the rigid durability of a hard shell. I think this case may hide scratches better than the clear polycarbonate cases, but it also may get dirtier easier (just a guess at this point).

That's all I have for now. Got to put this thing on and see what I think.

clyde2801
Apr 26, 2011, 09:42 PM
And....? It takes all of five seconds to put this sucker on.

clyde2801
Apr 26, 2011, 09:56 PM
And for those wanting pics, I can't do any better than the ones mrrish posted on the enki thread....(scroll down to post 41)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1136896&page=2

jedolley
Apr 26, 2011, 09:57 PM
And....? It takes all of five seconds to put this sucker on.

LOL. Yeah, it goes on real easily, but it's a secure fit. Initial impressions with it on are really good. It makes me wonder why the other hard shells don't have complete coverage. I didn't understand it before, and now I'm even more baffled. Also, I like the feel of the case. My main concern about getting a clear hard shell case was that I would lose the grip of a TPU case. The belkin is more of a frosted clear, but it has a nice matte grip feel to it.

I attached a quick pic that shows the thing I like most about the case, and what I like the least. Belkin got the smart cover cut about as perfect as possible. There's almost zero gap between the hinge and the cover. The thing I like the least is the white Belkin logo. The logo isn't usually a deal breaker for me, but I can easily see this one turning some people off (at least some people on this forum :p). It's small enough, but the white really stands out. I think a etched logo might have worked better.

hcho3
Apr 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
LOL. Yeah, it goes on real easily, but it's a secure fit. Initial impressions with it on are really good. It makes me wonder why the other hard shells don't have complete coverage. I didn't understand it before, and now I'm even more baffled. Also, I like the feel of the case. My main concern about getting a clear hard shell case was that I would lose the grip of a TPU case. The belkin is more of a frosted clear, but it has a nice matte grip feel to it.

I attached a quick pic that shows the thing I like most about the case, and what I like the least. Belkin got the smart cover cut about as perfect as possible. There's almost zero gap between the hinge and the cover. The thing I like the least is the white Belkin logo. The logo isn't usually a deal breaker for me, but I can easily see this one turning some people off (at least some people on this forum :p). It's small enough, but the white really stands out. I think a etched logo might have worked better.

Question for you. Sorry if this is off topic, but what case is that under the iPad?

Is that a slip case or something? It looks like Waterfield's iPad slip case. Am I right?

jedolley
Apr 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
Question for you. Sorry if this is off topic, but what case is that under the iPad?

Is that a slip case or something? It looks like Waterfield's iPad slip case. Am I right?

Yup. Waterfield/SFBags Slip case. It's blue, kind of a navy or dark blue, even though it looks black in the pic. I got the one that fits the smart cover and it fits with the shell case on as well as the TPU case I have.

pevensen
Apr 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
I got a Marware MicroShell but I also have a Zagg invisibleshield on the back. I'm not sure if that is the reason, but I couldn't not put the Marware shell on my iPad 2. I pressed so hard my thumbs started to hurt. I could not get the lower left corner to snap over the edge.

I was wondering if the Belkin Snap Shield was as tight or if it had enough rough that one could snap it on and off even with a thin film on the back.

clyde2801
Apr 27, 2011, 07:56 AM
I got a Marware MicroShell but I also have a Zagg invisibleshield on the back. I'm not sure if that is the reason, but I couldn't not put the Marware shell on my iPad 2. I pressed so hard my thumbs started to hurt. I could not get the lower left corner to snap over the edge.

I was wondering if the Belkin Snap Shield was as tight or if it had enough rough that one could snap it on and off even with a thin film on the back.

I have Ghost Armor on my front and back, and it goes on with nary a problem.

Josh125
Apr 27, 2011, 08:04 AM
Scored one yesterday and will try to get another one today. Overall not much to add to your review. The price is rediculous for what it is, however that goes with the territory. We came from a speck pixel wrap HD to this back and smart cover front and the difference is very noticable. Much less bulk and weighs less, a solid improvement IMO.

The one item I can add is that when I first put it on I thought the case was defective because the corner tabs didn't completly cover. After a closer look, the plastic tabs were designed so that only a portion of the tab actually snap on to the iPad and the trailing edge let's call it was designed to taper off. I hope that makes sense, for those that have it you probably know what I'm talking about.

sotie
Apr 27, 2011, 08:14 AM
I just found this review on youtube. Thanks to the reviewer for the quick look at it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYfmji__B9M

clyde2801
Apr 27, 2011, 11:01 AM
Not a bad review, pretty even handed and balanced.

As for his minus points:
1. "It's a plastic shield, so it won't protect it as a TPU cover if it's dropped." Not sure if it would do any better or worse than a TPU, and I'm unwilling to drop my ipad on the ground to try. Every design has pros and cons, and this case, like the tpu's, are for people who value slimness and weight over maximum protection and bulk.

2. "Bottom covers up all but the port itself, can't put some 3rd party accessories on it and he has trouble putting in the dock connector." Again, pros and cons. If it had a bigger opening on the bottom, some people would complain about the lack of protection. And it comes out of the case very easily, so a monster car charger/fm transmitter could be accommodated. As for problems with the dock connector, I haven't had a single problem getting it in through this case.

3. "Harder to open up smart cover with case installed, you have to insert your finger nail in the case's cut out for the volume rocker." Possibly so in that it may be a touch tougher to open than without the case, but the difference is so slight that I don't see that as an issue.

4. "The price is really, really high." Okay, can't argue with that one. I think anything officially licensed by apple is high (unlike the bootleg TPU cases on ebay) because apple wants a cut in addition to the manufacturer making a profit. Possibly subjective, considering the people who would buy this case have presumably spent $40 to $70 on smart covers. This is the criticism I most agree with.

5. "The case is very hard to take off." Couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's due to the fact that my pad is ghost armored up, but mine is extremely easy to remove without it coming off accidentally. Put a little pressure on the two tabs furthest away from the smart cover hinge, and it's off in under two seconds. I don't know, maybe the reviewer has 2 finger nails.

I don't think the Belkin is perfection, don't get me wrong. But my niggles, but one, are different than his. But for maximum slimness, acceptable protection and full smart cover compatibility, it's the best I've come across...so far.

jedolley
Apr 27, 2011, 11:35 AM
I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet (at work). Just had a few comments to add.

As for his minus points:
1. "It's a plastic shield, so it won't protect it as a TPU cover if it's dropped." Not sure if it would do any better or worse than a TPU, and I'm unwilling to drop my ipad on the ground to try. Every design has pros and cons, and this case, like the tpu's, are for people who value slimness and weight over maximum protection and bulk.
I think TPU will provide more drop/shock protection, but neither will provide much protection, so just avoid dropping it in the first place. These types of cases are for scratch and bump protection.

2. "Bottom covers up all but the port itself, can't put some 3rd party accessories on it and he has trouble putting in the dock connector." Again, pros and cons. If it had a bigger opening on the bottom, some people would complain about the lack of protection. And it comes out of the case very easily, so a monster car charger/fm transmitter could be accommodated. As for problems with the dock connector, I haven't had a single problem getting it in through this case. I also have not noticed a problem putting in the 30-pin cable. I think the curve of the iPad 2 makes it slightly hard to insert than the iPad 1, but I don't think the case makes it anymore difficult.

3. "Harder to open up smart cover with case installed, you have to insert your finger nail in the case's cut out for the volume rocker." Possibly so in that it may be a touch tougher to open than without the case, but the difference is so slight that I don't see that as an issue. Have not noticed a problem opening it.

4. "The price is really, really high." Okay, can't argue with that one. I think anything officially licensed by apple is high (unlike the bootleg TPU cases on ebay) because apple wants a cut in addition to the manufacturer making a profit. Possibly subjective, considering the people who would buy this case have presumably spent $40 to $70 on smart covers. This is the criticism I most agree with. IMO most "brand name" iPad cases are over priced. However, if you compare the price of the Belkin case to it's main competitors, then its not as bad as it sounds.

Speaking strictly in regards to MSRP:

The Marware Microshell is the same price at $39.99
The Incipio Smart Feather (Not Available Yey) is $5 cheaper at $34.99
The XGear is only $5 cheaper at $34.99.
The newcomers Enki & Joy Factory are $10 cheaper at $29.99

Belkin is just one of those brands that has no problem pricing their stuff at the higher end. I'm actually surprised they aren't asking $50 for it like they did the Grip Vue. I would like to see this at $25-$30, but in comparison to the competitors it's not an outrageous price.

5. "The case is very hard to take off." Couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's due to the fact that my pad is ghost armored up, but mine is extremely easy to remove without it coming off accidentally. Put a little pressure on the two tabs furthest away from the smart cover hinge, and it's off in under two seconds. I don't know, maybe the reviewer has 2 finger nails. I haven't tried taking mine off yet, but will tonight when I apply my BSE back.

I don't think the Belkin is perfection, don't get me wrong. But my niggles, but one, are different than his. But for maximum slimness, acceptable protection and full smart cover compatibility, it's the best I've come across...so far. It's a very solid case, with very little to dislike about IMO. Full coverage, nice grip feeling, light and sturdy. Really, my only cons so far are the price, and logo. My iPad 1 case of choice was the Grip Vue mainly because it was the best TPU out there (arguably until the Switch Easy Vulcan released). I'm going to try out the other shells, but would not be surprised if I hang on to the Belkin in the end.

clyde2801
Apr 27, 2011, 11:45 AM
IMO most "brand name" iPad cases are over priced. However, if you compare the price of the Belkin case to it's main competitors, then its not as bad as it sounds.

Speaking strictly in regards to MSRP:

The Marware Microshell is the same price at $39.99
The Incipio Smart Feather (Not Available Yey) is $5 cheaper at $34.99
The XGear is only $5 cheaper at $34.99.
The newcomers Enki & Joy Factory are $10 cheaper at $29.99

Belkin is just one of those brands that has no problem pricing their stuff at the higher end. I'm actually surprised they aren't asking $50 for it like they did the Grip Vue. I would like to see this at $25-$30, but in comparison to the competitors it's not an outrageous price.

And unlike the others, the Belkin is available in the real world now. There is also the chance that Best Buy may be sticking a premium price on it since it's not in their website and no one else has it in stores. Fiendishly simple strategy...if someone is willing to stalk the item without it even being listed online, they're likely to pay a premium and not complain. They added an extra $10 to the incase origami case before it was officially listed.

It's a little tough to pay $40 + for a piece of plastic, though. Even if you realize that everyone else is going to roughly charge the same price for their plastic pieces. At least it's a piece of plastic that I can live with.

briankeith513
Apr 28, 2011, 01:19 AM
Here's my review, already posted in the other thread:

I just got the Belkin Snap Shield from Best Buy, Sku 2538172, for $39.99. http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=544455

It has a soft-touch hard case feel, very thin, hardly any bulk added. And even better, adds full protection! For those that don't want to wait, I definitely suggest you call your local Best Buy, and give them the sku 2538172, to see if they have it in stock.

Ok, just got back home from Best Buy, here in Atlanta. I have to say, my first feelings, are that this is just about excellent. It's better than the hard shell cases that I've used in the past. This has a softer, thinner feel to it. It offers complete coverage, unlike many cases that work with the smart cover, and truly adds very minimal bulk, and feels great. Mrrish, thanks for the recommendation.

clyde2801
Apr 28, 2011, 01:37 PM
Also a nice little touch...was able to slip in one of my business cards between the back of the ipad and the belkin case. Now my iPad is branded (at least temporarily) so that a honest person may easily return it to me without even having to turn it on.

spacepower7
Apr 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
Interesting that Belkin does not show this one the US version of their website. And like many of their cases, there is only one bad picture of the product.

Has anyone spotted these in a grey/black color?

I have the Grip Vue for my iPad 1 in a translucent black.

I love this case and want to find the exact thing for my iPad 2.

The Grip Vue has a small "lip" around the front of the iPad 1. I find that this makes gripping the Ipad 1 even easier.

Can anybody post some pics of the front of the iPad 2 with this Belkin case, with and without the smart case. All of the pics in that other thread are of the back.

jedolley
Apr 28, 2011, 03:00 PM
Interesting that Belkin does not show this one the US version of their website. And like many of their cases, there is only one bad picture of the product.

Has anyone spotted these in a grey/black color?

I have the Grip Vue for my iPad 1 in a translucent black.

I love this case and want to find the exact thing for my iPad 2.

The Grip Vue has a small "lip" around the front of the iPad 1. I find that this makes gripping the Ipad 1 even easier.

Can anybody post some pics of the front of the iPad 2 with this Belkin case, with and without the smart case. All of the pics in that other thread are of the back.

Keep in mind that this is not similar to the Grip Vue. The Grip Vue was a TPU case and needed the "lip" to help the case stay on. The Snap Shield is a hard shell and has ridges that help the shield snap in place. Since the point of this case if to be thin, light, and low profile, there is no lip nor a need for one IMO. I've attached some pictures per your request.

theautopilot
Apr 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
Anyone seen this in the uk yet?

dreamphyre
Apr 28, 2011, 03:57 PM
I just picked one of these up at my local best buy as well based on the reviews here. Like others I think its a bit expensive for what it is, but I think it might be one the the best snap shields available online or in store at this time. It's very light, very thin, fits perfect, and has a great feel to it. I had picked up one the the cheapo snap shells on ebay and the belkin is way nicer. I also have ********** carbon fiber skin on the ipad and while the look is not as pronouced as a crystal clear shell, it has a very nice look with the frosted clear belkin. I will try to get some pics later this evening when I'm home from work.

EDH667
Apr 28, 2011, 06:15 PM
I just picked one of these up at my local best buy as well based on the reviews here. Like others I think its a bit expensive for what it is, but I think it might be one the the best snap shields available online or in store at this time. It's very light, very thin, fits perfect, and has a great feel to it. I had picked up one the the cheapo snap shells on ebay and the belkin is way nicer. I also have ********** carbon fiber skin on the ipad and while the look is not as pronouced as a crystal clear shell, it has a very nice look with the frosted clear belkin. I will try to get some pics later this evening when I'm home from work.

I purchased two at my local Best Buy and love them in conjunction with the smart covers. J&R is taking pre-orders for clear and smoke for $29.99.

spacepower7
Apr 28, 2011, 06:28 PM
Jedolley thanks for the picks - I'm going to try to hunt down a smoke one.

Night Spring
Apr 28, 2011, 07:18 PM
J&R is taking pre-orders for clear and smoke for $29.99.

Where did you see the pre-orders? I just searched J&R's website but couldn't find it. :(

EDH667
Apr 28, 2011, 07:30 PM
Where did you see the pre-orders? I just searched J&R's website but couldn't find it. :(

Do a search on their site for Belkin Snap or the numbers of F8N631EBC01 for clear or F8N631EBC00 for Smoke.

Night Spring
Apr 28, 2011, 07:35 PM
Do a search on their site for Belkin Snap or the numbers of F8N631EBC01 for clear or F8N631EBC00 for Smoke.

Found them, thanks!

duk
Apr 28, 2011, 08:19 PM
Wonder if J&R's 29.99 listing is the actual price for this case? that would seem more in line for what it is. Guess we'll have to wait and see when/if best buy ever officially posts it on there web site... this case appears to be exactly what I've been looking for, but unfortunately my nearest best buy doesn't have any in stock.

clyde2801
Apr 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
Possibly. BB charged an extra $10 for my incase origami workstation before it was listed on their site. Since it's not advertised or listed on their site, I suppose you buy it on a take it or leave it basis, and price matching doesn't apply since no other brick and mortar store has it. I guess the rationale is that if you're determined enough to track it down by SKU number and call stores, you'll probably pay a premium to get it first.

jedolley
Apr 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
If I end up keeping this and I find it cheaper else where during my 30 days (especially a tax free site). Then i'll just get it there and return the BB one for a refund. No restocking fee, so no issue as long as it's within 30 days. It sounds silly, but every little bit counts especially if you have bought as many cases as I have. :D

duk
Apr 28, 2011, 08:49 PM
If I end up keeping this and I find it cheaper else where during my 30 days (especially a tax free site). Then i'll just get it there and return the BB one for a refund. No restocking fee, so no issue as long as it's within 30 days. It sounds silly, but every little bit counts especially if you have bought as many cases as I have. :D

Not silly at all, considering this case is designed under the assumption you have already spent 39.99-69.99 for a smart cover... that's a lot to protect your ipad! I'll pick one up if it show's up in stock and just have them do a price match if it ends up reduced somewhere else... one thing to consider, I've noticed in the past, when BB adds a new product like this (third party cases), they're usually on sale for a week (5-10 off) hopefully that will be the case when they make this one official on the website.

bouda
Apr 28, 2011, 09:38 PM
Best Buy seems to have this overpriced. Had a friend that works there pick one up and it was just less then $12 with their discount. Huge compared to other discounts they receive on brands such as incase which seems to be less then half off. Excited to get it, especially at $12.

rkdiddy
Apr 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
Just picked this up - love it. Has a great feel. Unfortunately had to remove my shield on the back, but worth it.

Yunosuke
Apr 29, 2011, 01:12 AM
Just picked this up - love it. Has a great feel. Unfortunately had to remove my shield on the back, but worth it.

Which skin was on? I'd like to use this Belkin case with BSE but BSE actually adds a little thickness to the back so I'm worrying about removing it if I use the Belkin case. The reason why I still want to put BSE on is that I don't want Smartcover to scratch the back of iPad...

Thanks for your info.

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 06:22 AM
Not a problem with my ghost armor on front and back, but I don't know how thick it is compared to BSE.

I already had the front and back protectors installed, but I still like this setup with the Belkin. Since it comes on and off so easily, it gives me a flexible, modular approach to protection depending on my use of the ipad at that moment.

dreamphyre
Apr 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
Here is a pic of the Belkin with a black carbon fiber skin on the ipad.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa190/lanek99/IMAG0015.jpg

3goldens
Apr 29, 2011, 01:03 PM
I can't find this case anywhere!
Sure you can preorder at J&R but who knows when they might see that!
Can't understand why Belkin does not list this on their US web site. I'm going to give them a call to find out what's up.

Talked to them, it will be in stock in mid may or early June.

see my other thread on smart feather, bad news on that front!

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
I can't find this case anywhere!
Sure you can preorder at J&R but who knows when they might see that!
Can't understand why Belkin does not list this on their US web site. I'm going to give them a call to find out what's up.

Talked to them, it will be in stock in mid may or early June.

see my other thread on smart feather, bad news on that front!

Have you tried calling best buy with the SKU number?

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 02:01 PM
When I got mine it was in the back not on the shelf. I do not know why they are not putting them out, especially if people are buying them for $40.

theautopilot
Apr 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone know exactly how thin the Belkin is?

As thin as an Incipio Feather?

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 04:17 PM
When I got mine it was in the back not on the shelf. I do not know why they are not putting them out, especially if people are buying them for $40.

Because I suspect the list price is not $40, but rather 30. I think they're scalping the compulsive early people a bit. They'll probably be cheaper once they're officially in the system and on the shelf.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 04:35 PM
Anyone know exactly how thin the Belkin is?

As thin as an Incipio Feather?

I have not seen the feather, but since it does not cover the bottom or top of the iPad I will not purchase it. I do not understand why so many of the back covers to not protect these areas.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
Very strange... just looked at mine before I decide to open it... mine has the logo etched in the case, not in white - clear. But what is disappointing is that the side with the volume button is cut out the same way the side where the smart cover attaches...leaving it completely open for scratches. Is there two versions of the case? The bottom is also much more open as the speaker is not surrounded but the case, there is just an opening that continues to the dock connecter. I am bringing this one back. I want full coverage. Same sku too...

jedolley
Apr 29, 2011, 05:38 PM
Very strange... just looked at mine before I decide to open it... mine has the logo etched in the case, not in white - clear. But what is disappointing is that the side with the volume button is cut out the same way the side where the smart cover attaches...leaving it completely open for scratches. Is there two versions of the case? I am bringing this one back. I want full coverage.

Can you provide a picture to clarify?

I would be real interested to see an etched logo as you described. As for the button cut-outs... The ones close to the edge, like the volume rocker, are surrounded by case, the cut outs are open to the edge. If you consider that not "full protection" then I think that's a bit "nit picky" IMO. It's so far the only hard shell to provide as close to full protection (top and bottom) as you're going to see.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 06:10 PM
Can you provide a picture to clarify?

I would be real interested to see an etched logo as you described. As for the button cut-outs... The ones close to the edge, like the volume rocker, are surrounded by case, the cut outs are open to the edge. If you consider that not "full protection" then I think that's a bit "nit picky" IMO. It's so far the only hard shell to provide as close to full protection (top and bottom) as you're going to see.

No, I agree with you. This is way different... Even the head phone jack has a different cut out.

jedolley
Apr 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
No, I agree with you. This is way different... Even the head phone jack has a different cut out.

yeah, way different. I like the etched logo, but not at the cost of coverage. that's weird that they would do it. i know with the grip vue there was a revision soon after the first one, but they weren't this different.

3goldens
Apr 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
Have you tried calling best buy with the SKU number?

both nmbers do not come up with anything!

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
yeah, way different. I like the etched logo, but not at the cost of coverage. that's weird that they would do it. i know with the grip vue there was a revision soon after the first one, but they weren't this different.

I hope mine is not the revized one. I want the other one and it would be very hard to get.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 07:08 PM

Anyone else get one that is different like mine? Does not make since to me.

Josh125
Apr 29, 2011, 07:45 PM

Yes, I have two like yours.

prisoner6
Apr 29, 2011, 07:54 PM

Yes. Mine is like yours as well.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 08:08 PM
Interesting... where are you guys located? Mine is def. Going back. What a deal breaker. The other style is much better.

Josh125
Apr 29, 2011, 08:40 PM
Interesting... where are you guys located? Mine is def. Going back. What a deal breaker. The other style is much better.

I'm in Michigan. While it's a bummer, I think I'll stick with it.

prisoner6
Apr 29, 2011, 09:10 PM

I'm in North Carolina. I'm not super enthused by the more open one, but it's not a complete deal breaker. I mostly wanted something thin just for the very back so that when I set it down its covered. If I find a better option in the next couple of weeks this one might go back.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 09:16 PM
I'm in Michigan. While it's a bummer, I think I'll stick with it.

Ya, I just searched for a while for one with full coverage and thought I was getting that, so that is why I want the other one.

prisoner6
Apr 29, 2011, 09:20 PM
Ya, I just searched for a while for one with full coverage and thought I was getting that, so that is why I want the other one.

The TPU one I got from eBay offers more coverage at a much lower price. It is a little thicker, but not by much. I guess it just depends on how thin you want it.

I like the Belkin overall so far. If I had a chance to pick up the one with more coverage I would, but this will do for now.

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
Dang! I'm glad I got in on this early and got the one that I did.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 09:44 PM
Dang! I'm glad I got in on this early and got the one that I did.

I think we all got in early since its not even oh the shelves yet. But I agree, I'm hoping the full coverage one is the one they sticker with. I'm wondering if the other 2 best buy had are the same as mine or better. I paid $12 for it and am still disappointed.

EDH667
Apr 29, 2011, 09:59 PM

Found this PDF on the Belkin UK website which seems to show the cover with the less coverage.

3goldens
Apr 29, 2011, 10:16 PM
hey bouda before you return that case would you consider selling it to me?

I can't find one anywhere and would love to take it off your hands!

I sent you a pm

thanks

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
Found this PDF on the Belkin UK website which seems to show the cover with the less coverage.

No, that's the original. The other has less coverage on the bottom between the speaker and dock connector.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 10:50 PM
No, that's the original. The other has less coverage on the bottom between the speaker and dock connector.

No i think he is right. the one in the pdf looks like mine with less coverage... not a good sign.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
hey bouda before you return that case would you consider selling it to me?

I can't find one anywhere and would love to take it off your hands!

I sent you a pm

thanks

depends if i find the other one...

duk
Apr 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
I finally picked mine up, first thing I noticed when I got home, it had outside scratches, which I could live with... Then I noticed the inside had these large smudgy fingerprints that are etched into the case, as if someone grabed it during production before the plastic had cooled, looked creepy, unfortunately I didn't take a picture before exchanging the case. The new one appears to be ok. First impressions, does what I'm looking for, but I feel ripped off at this price, I'm convinced the packaging cost the same, if not more to produce than this case. I'll be keeping an eye on best buys sight for a price match, 39.99 can't possibly be the actual retail price, even apple wouldn't charge that much for something like this. We shall see.

bouda
Apr 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
I finally picked mine up, first thing I noticed when I got home, it had outside scratches, which I could live with... Then I noticed the inside had these large smudgy fingerprints that are etched into the case, as if someone grabed it during production before the plastic had cooled, looked creepy, unfortunately I didn't take a picture before exchanging the case. The new one appears to be ok. First impressions, does what I'm looking for, but I feel ripped off at this price, I'm convinced the packaging cost the same, if not more to produce than this case. I'll be keeping an eye on best buys sight for a price match, 39.99 can't possibly be the actual retail price, even apple wouldn't charge that much for something like this. We shall see.

did u get the full coverage one or the one i posted pics of a few threads back? where r u located?

duk
Apr 29, 2011, 11:10 PM
did u get the full coverage one or the one i posted pics of a few threads back? where r u located?

Mine is the full coverage one as described by the OP. I'm surprised by this other one that is showing up, i would not like that at all, I wonder why they are leaving so much space open? If you zoom in on the PDF posted a few comments up, you can clearly see it is the one with the larger opening at the bottom and the part where the smart cover attaches has a lot more space surrounding it, so I guess that's going to be the official release... How freaky. Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this, although I don't like the price, this case is exactly what i was looking for. I'm in Houston, several best buys have this in stock, if anyone is interested, I returned the slightly, cosmetically defective one to the galleria location, so perhaps it will be available at a discount.

Jamie37211
Apr 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ran by my closest best buy just on the off chance and they had a few on the rack. They were the full-coverage version, so I grabbed two - one for me and another for the wife. Gotta say, I'm liking it so far - feels protective without adding a lot of bulk, cut outs are clean and just the right size in my opinion. Pricey, but worth it if it means shedding the sleeve I've been using when I just want to run around with it.

Thanks for the heads-up OP!

clyde2801
Apr 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
Found another of the 'original' ones in southside okc. May be one still 30 miles south in Norman, but that's about it so far.

duk
Apr 30, 2011, 03:51 PM
I did a bit of research, from what I gather, iPad 2 cases with unusually large openings/exposed areas are a result of being rushed to market without official confirmation of potential ports that may have ended up on the iPad 2. I would now assume the more accurate case with better coverage will most likely end up being the official release. That may also explain why I at first ended up with one that had quality control issues, probably literally hot of the press.

3goldens
Apr 30, 2011, 04:52 PM
No i think he is right. the one in the pdf looks like mine with less coverage... not a good sign.

ok just let me know!

TxMacAddict
Apr 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
Mine is the full coverage one as described by the OP. I'm surprised by this other one that is showing up, i would not like that at all, I wonder why they are leaving so much space open? If you zoom in on the PDF posted a few comments up, you can clearly see it is the one with the larger opening at the bottom and the part where the smart cover attaches has a lot more space surrounding it, so I guess that's going to be the official release... How freaky. Thanks to the OP for the heads up on this, although I don't like the price, this case is exactly what i was looking for. I'm in Houston, several best buys have this in stock, if anyone is interested, I returned the slightly, cosmetically defective one to the galleria location, so perhaps it will be available at a discount.

Thanks for the info RE Houston stock. I snagged one at the Best Buy Memorial City location. I love it! Previously I was using the ebay tpu case and its ok for the price but all the cutouts didn't line up as perfectly like the Belkin does and I'm loving the clear soft touch.

Yunosuke
Apr 30, 2011, 07:02 PM
Ran by my closest best buy just on the off chance and they had a few on the rack. They were the full-coverage version, so I grabbed two - one for me and another for the wife. Gotta say, I'm liking it so far - feels protective without adding a lot of bulk, cut outs are clean and just the right size in my opinion. Pricey, but worth it if it means shedding the sleeve I've been using when I just want to run around with it.

Thanks for the heads-up OP!

Just to report that I got the full coverage one from Best Buy, Bay Area Mountain View. They've got about 5 of them. I love it. Unfortunately it didn't fit with BSE so I decided to take my BSE off from the back. I might try Ghost Armor but because of this precision design and full coverage, I now feel like I don't need the skin solution with this case.

bouda
Apr 30, 2011, 08:01 PM
I did a bit of research, from what I gather, iPad 2 cases with unusually large openings/exposed areas are a result of being rushed to market without official confirmation of potential ports that may have ended up on the iPad 2. I would now assume the more accurate case with better coverage will most likely end up being the official release. That may also explain why I at first ended up with one that had quality control issues, probably literally hot of the press.

It will be interesting to see. The product seems to be brand new as it is not even on the US Belkin site yet, and the UK site shows the case with the less coverage.

sotie
Apr 30, 2011, 08:52 PM
I purchased one of the full cover models today for my wife's iPad. I really like the soft touch.

For my ipad I'm using a skin purchased from ********** and popped it on mine to see if it would still fit. It fits exactly the same as on the naked iPad.

3goldens
May 1, 2011, 11:21 AM
found several of them THE FULL COVERAGE ONES by calling around. I'm going to get one now to see if it's the same one! hope this ends my searching for this elusive item!

got mine. so glad I put in the effort!

It does appear many bb's don't have them on shelves so it's best to call the stores with that sku number.

Impression of FULL COVERAGE Shell:

Hooray for Belkin' They get the reward for getting the smart cover compatibale case sizing right, not too big, not too small, very very light, perfect fit all the way around!

This s much lighter than the Mareware by leaps and bounds!

Best full coverage money can buy!

While it's kinda frost, this will no doubt not show scratches like a clear plastic hard case would, this one is not completely clear, but clear enough.

It has that very nice matte feeling to it making it easy to grip. Full coverage everywhere, fits with Wrapsol and my Power Support matte screen protector. I could not be happier with this purchase!

Case search over for this iPad generation!

I highly recommend this one!

Now I will wait for the Mophie Workbook for IPad and I'm truly done!

oh I might get that new Belkin adjustable stand, don't think it's been released yet but it sure looks like it will give the skdoosh a run for it's money at less than half the price!

bouda
May 1, 2011, 07:54 PM
found several of them by calling around. I'm going to get one now to see if it's the same one! hope this ends my searching for this elusive item!

got mine. so glad I put in the effort!

It does appear many bb's don't have them on shelves so it's best to call the stores with that sku number.

Impression:

Hooray for Belkin' They get the reward for getting the smart cover compatibale case sizing right, not too big, not too small, very very light, perfect fit all the way around!

This s much lighter than the Mareware by leaps and bounds!

Best full coverage money can buy!

While it's kinda frost, this will no doubt not show scratches like a clear plastic hard case would, this one is not completely clear, but clear enough.

It has that very nice matte feeling to it making it easy to grip. Full coverage everywhere, fits with Wrapsol and my Power Support matte screen protector. I could not be happier with this purchase!

Case search over for this iPad generation!

I highly recommend this one!

Now I will wait for the Mophie Workbook for IPad and I'm truly done!

oh I might get that new Belkin adjustable stand, don't think it's been released yet but it sure looks like it will give the skdoosh a run for it's money at less than half the price!

So... Did they have a lot of the full coverage ones? Seems these might be popping up more then the others that are not full protection. Maybe the others were made before all ports were confirmed.

Off topic, but the matte power support, is that the HD anti glare? I would like to get this, but am a little worried about putting it on perfectly. - I tried pming you but it says you do not except them.

3goldens
May 2, 2011, 12:32 AM
So... Did they have a lot of the full coverage ones? Seems these might be popping up more then the others that are not full protection. Maybe the others were made before all ports were confirmed.

Off topic, but the matte power support, is that the HD anti glare? I would like to get this, but am a little worried about putting it on perfectly. - I tried pming you but it says you do not except them.

NYC area:

Union Square had 5 minus one. Long Island City had one.

dont know why pm does not work all setting seem correct you can email me use my user name at gmail!

My feeling is the us version will be the one you got. This for whatever reason seemed to have made its way over here from the UK, as the page on the Belkin UK web site indicates. But in a few weeks time will tell. Maybe call some of those stores and see oif they will mail to you.

my PS is the HD anti glare! works just fine with the Belkin!

bouda
May 2, 2011, 07:54 AM
NYC area:

dont know why pm does not work all setting seem correct you can email me use my user name at gmail!

My feeling is the us version will be the one you got. This for whatever reason seemed to have made its way over here from the UK, as the page on the Belkin UK web site indicates. But in a few weeks time will tell. Maybe call some of those stores and see oif they will mail to you.

any tips on putting the PS on?

jnap818
May 2, 2011, 10:49 AM
The Best Buy in midtown Manhattan had two cases available but unfortunately they were the "less coverage" versions.

jnap818
May 2, 2011, 11:05 AM
NYC area:

Full coverage or less coverage version?

Redalert
May 2, 2011, 11:10 AM

Maybe the one with less coverage will work better in the iPad 2 dock?

3goldens
May 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
any tips on putting the PS on?

I think this is one of the easier ones to put on compared to the Wrapsol.

I start the peel back process at the home button and slowly make my way to the top.

Mine went on fairly smoothly, very happy with everything matching up this time around!

3goldens
May 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
The Best Buy in midtown Manhattan had two cases available but unfortunately they were the "less coverage" versions.

Why didn't you just call 14th street straight away????

That's where I said they had them!

Mine is obviously full coverage!

jnap818
May 2, 2011, 12:09 PM
Why didn't you just call 14th street straight away????

That's where I said they had them!

Mine is obviously full coverage!

Because I work near midtown and went there prior to reading your post. NY BB's should all have the same stock anyway!

3goldens
May 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
Because I work near midtown and went there prior to reading your post. NY BB's should all have the same stock anyway!

they don't.

the union square did not even have this on the floor. it was in the back, that's why I called/

Long Island City had one left.

jnap818
May 2, 2011, 12:38 PM
they don't.

the union square did not even have this on the floor. it was in the back, that's why I called/

Long Island City had one left.

I said they should not did...

Maybe I'll head down there after work. Hope you are right about the full coverage.

3goldens
May 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
I said they should not did...

Maybe I'll head down there after work. Hope you are right about the full coverage.

want a picture of mine?

Why don't you take my suggestion and call them with the SKU and have them hold it for you like I did?

jnap818
May 3, 2011, 08:26 AM
want a picture of mine?

Why don't you take my suggestion and call them with the SKU and have them hold it for you like I did?

No need to call. Its a Belkin case...they won't be out of stock. Got mine and had them put the remaining ones of the shelf for future buyers. Case is good but not worth $40. Its a good solution for the time being though. Thanks for the heads up on the stock at the Union Square store.

dgravo
May 3, 2011, 08:27 AM
It's now online on Best Buy's website. Just search with the sku #2538172.

3goldens
May 3, 2011, 09:05 AM
Sure is, Here's the link!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Snap+Shield+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2+-+Clear/2538172.p?id=1218334193795&skuId=2538172&st=2538172&cp=1&lp=1

It's odd that it is not even mentioned on the Belkin web site!

bouda
May 3, 2011, 11:00 AM
Sure is, Here's the link!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Snap+Shield+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2+-+Clear/2538172.p?id=1218334193795&skuId=2538172&st=2538172&cp=1&lp=1

It's odd that it is not even mentioned on the Belkin web site!

Even stranger now... The picture of the one on the site is different then pictures the OP posted and the ones I posted. The back left is covered, like the OPs but the bottom is more open, like mine... Are there 3 different ones? Wonder what one someone would get if they ordered online...

sotie
May 3, 2011, 02:03 PM
Even stranger now... The picture of the one on the site is different then pictures the OP posted and the ones I posted. The back left is covered, like the OPs but the bottom is more open, like mine... Are there 3 different ones? Wonder what one someone would get if they ordered online...

I just looked at the picture on their website and it's definitely not the same one that I purchased there over the weekend. The one that I bought extends lower in the section between the right side of the speaker and the dock connector.

3goldens
May 3, 2011, 11:40 PM
This is the one I got at Best Buy in New York City, Union Square store. Same as the one on the Belkin UK web site, I believe. Definitly not the one in the picture, its the same one as Bouda got. There are only two. Guessing there is an overseas version and a US version. I would bet the version on the best buy web site is the one they will be selling going forward. Why the change? well, someone should give them a ring a ding ding and find out!

bouda
May 4, 2011, 02:41 AM
This is the one I got at Best Buy in New York City, Union Square store. Same as the one on the Belkin UK web site, I believe. Definitly not the one in the picture, its the same one as Bouda got. There are only two. Guessing there is an overseas version and a US version. I would bet the version on the best buy web site is the one they will be selling going forward. Why the change? well, someone should give them a ring a ding ding and find out!

That's not the one I got, that's the one I want. And the UK site has the one with less coverage then yours.

dgravo
May 4, 2011, 11:40 AM
This stinks. I just picked mine up from Best Buy and the whole side is open where the volume button and lock switch is. There is no coverage on that side at all except for the two corners.

clyde2801
May 4, 2011, 02:21 PM
That's not the one I git, that's the one I want. And the UK site has the one with less coverage then yours.

Ats tha wun yer gunna git....

shweet, nowun kin dew uh suthern ackcent bettern me....mah kinfolk ullreadee tawlk like thess

sotie
May 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
This stinks. I just picked mine up from Best Buy and the whole side is open where the volume button and lock switch is. There is no coverage on that side at all except for the two corners.

Mine is definitely not like that.

mac jones
May 4, 2011, 02:58 PM
Ats tha wun yer gunna git....

shweet, nowun kin dew uh suthern ackcent bettern me....mah kinfolk ullreadee tawlk like thess

Yep, gonna git me one er dem things miself hehehe

clyde2801
May 4, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yep, gonna git me one er dem things miself hehehe

Woah. Yew aint tew bad atdat yerself. <tips Stetson>

nishijb
May 4, 2011, 05:15 PM

I got a full coverage version, like yours, about a week ago in Houston. I really like it!

bouda
May 4, 2011, 08:35 PM

If we go by pictures there are 3. One will full coverage, one with full side coverage but not as much bottom coverage (best buy site), and one with both sides and not as much bottom coverage (pictures I posted).

jedolley
May 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
If we go by pictures there are 3. One will full coverage, one with full side coverage but not as much bottom coverage (best buy site), and one with both sides and not as much bottom coverage (pictures I posted).

Has anyone gotten one like the one shown on the Best Buy site (full side coverage, but not as much bottom coverage)?

3goldens
May 4, 2011, 11:58 PM
Sorry, have to disagree. Only two.

I think the original picture makes it hard to see it completely.

Bouda has the one with less on the bottom, like the one currently on the best buy site. the one I have, and the one original poster links to both have full coverage on the side.

First when the Ipad is in the case you really can not see the side fully, but I assure you there is no case made by Belkin that I have seen this far that has a full side on both the right side and the left side. If there was a full side on the left where the smart cover attaches it would have a tough time staying attached. the magnets are not just in the two hindges but run all along that stainless strip. Having a full side with just cutouts might work but I don't think as well.

I'm going to be interested to see how the Smart Feather is going to work with only cutouts, but we know already one has to take the whole case off to remove the cover unlike this one!

Bouda

best buy site

link on uk site

mine purchased at BB

3goldens
May 5, 2011, 12:09 AM
On Amazon till May 9th Smart Cover Compatible Hard Case on Sale 50% Off...

$7.00 plus shipping!

How can you go wrong?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147948

Night Spring
May 5, 2011, 12:58 AM
Sorry, have to disagree. Only two.

It's true that only two have been actually purchased, the one you bought and the one reported by Bouda. However, if you look closely at the picture on the Best Buy website and the one from the Belkin uk site, the area between the speaker and the dock is not covered, while yours is. This is what people are referring to when they say there is a third model. Nobody is saying that there is a model without a cutout for the Smart Cover.

bouda
May 5, 2011, 06:53 AM
It's true that only two have been actually purchased, the one you bought and the one reported by Bouda. However, if you look closely at the picture on the Best Buy website and the one from the Belkin uk site, the area between the speaker and the dock is not covered, while yours is. This is what people are referring to when they say there is a third model. Nobody is saying that there is a model without a cutout for the Smart Cover.

All have cutouts for the smart cover. Mine however has the same cutout on the left side for no reason - you can clearly see that on the first picture. The picture on Best Buy's does not, but it has the same cutout on the bottom as mine, which is different then the full coverage one.

Full coverage - OP's/Golden's case
No left side coverage, and less bottom coverage - My case
Full left side coverage and less bottom coverage - Best Buy site

There are pictures of three separate models in his post...

If you look at the pictures 3Golden posted:
Mine (no left side coverage), best buy's (more open on the bottom like mine, but has left side coverage ), and Golden's- full coverage.

jedolley
May 5, 2011, 08:16 AM
All have cutouts for the smart cover. Mine however has the same cutout on the left side for no reason - you can clearly see that on the first picture. The picture on Best Buy's does not, but it has the same cutout on the bottom as mine, which is different then the full coverage one.

Full coverage - OP's/Golden's case
No left side coverage, and less bottom coverage - My case
Full left side coverage and less bottom coverage - Best Buy site

There are pictures of three separate models in his post...

If you look at the pictures 3Golden posted:
Mine (no left side coverage), best buy's (more open on the bottom like mine, but has left side coverage ), and Golden's- full coverage.

Well... I've looked at the Best Buy picture several times now and it's kind of hard to tell. It's clearly not on an iPad 2, because it's not that white and you should be able to see the edges/cut outs better. It's possible that the picture is just bad quality and that you can't see the full side cut out on the volume rocker making it the same case as yours.

Either way, I believe only two models have been reported to be found at this point.

bouda
May 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
Well... I've looked at the Best Buy picture several times now and it's kind of hard to tell. It's clearly not on an iPad 2, because it's not that white and you should be able to see the edges/cut outs better. It's possible that the picture is just bad quality and that you can't see the full side cut out on the volume rocker making it the same case as yours.

Either way, I believe only two models have been reported to be found at this point.

I disagree. I think it is clear that the best buy picture shows a cut out around the volume buttons. But, yes there have only been 2 reported as being bought.

3goldens
May 5, 2011, 11:31 AM

Agreed. When you look at a picture of them without an Ipad in the case it can be deceiving. I think its a moot point till someone posts pictures of the alleged third one, until one it doesn't exist.

Course if anyone wants to they can call Belkin as I said before to ask them directly, I doubt seriously if they would deny this if one asked for technical support and requested clarification on exactly which model will be sold here in the states.

bouda
May 5, 2011, 11:42 AM
I think its a moot point till someone posts pictures of the alleged third one, until one it doesn't exist.

I agree with this 100%. But if you click on the best buy picture which enlarges it, it is very clear that the volume buttons have the case wrapped around it making this a picture of a third case - not saying it ever went to production or will be sold...

cole01
May 5, 2011, 06:14 PM
I ordered my Belkin snap case from the best buy store a few days ago and it arrived today. Turns out I got the first version with coverage all around. I'm extremely satisfied with my new iPad 2, grey smart cover, icarbons on the back, and the Belkin case. It works perfectly together. :apple:

Happy cinco de drinko apple heads!

bouda
May 5, 2011, 08:59 PM
I ordered my Belkin snap case from the best buy store a few days ago and it arrived today. Turns out I got the first version with coverage all around. I'm extremely satisfied with my new iPad 2, grey smart cover, icarbons on the back, and the Belkin case. It works perfectly together. :apple:

This could be good news. A poster earlier had the theory that the less coverage Belkin came out before all buttons and ports were confirmed. Maybe this is the case. Why they would go from full coverage to some coverage does not make since. Why almost all of the smart cover compatible cases do not have full coverage also does not make since though. Still a little strange to me that they would produce two cases though, especially since they just came out and the iPad 2 has been out for a few months now.

sotie
May 5, 2011, 09:07 PM

Why the skin AND the snap case?

clyde2801
May 5, 2011, 09:18 PM

It's for what I like to like call modular protection. The Belkin attaches and removes easily. You can use it without the case and just a smart cover and skin at home. Snap on the Belkin for light travel. Throw it all together in a sleeve for greater protection and less visibility.

Night Spring
May 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
Just checked J&R. They have a "smoke black" listed in addition to the clear ones that Best Buy has been selling. The "smoke black" is supposedly in stock and shipping, but the clear still says pre-order. No pics of either product. :( But at $29.99, they are $10 cheaper than Best Buy.

http://www.jr.com/product/productListing.jsp?Ntt=belkin+snap

cole01
May 6, 2011, 01:10 AM

I kind of like the way it looks beneath the soft touch coated snap on case. I'll post pictures when I get home.

-sent from my iPhone

jk4lebron23
May 6, 2011, 02:45 AM

As for his minus points:

2. "Bottom covers up all but the port itself, can't put some 3rd party accessories on it and he has trouble putting in the dock connector." Again, pros and cons. If it had a bigger opening on the bottom, some people would complain about the lack of protection. And it comes out of the case very easily, so a monster car charger/fm transmitter could be accommodated. As for problems with the dock connector, I haven't had a single problem getting it in through this case.

3. "Harder to open up smart cover with case installed, you have to insert your finger nail in the case's cut out for the volume rocker." Possibly so in that it may be a touch tougher to open than without the case, but the difference is so slight that I don't see that as an issue.

4. "The price is really, really high." Okay, can't argue with that one. I think anything officially licensed by apple is high (unlike the bootleg TPU cases on ebay) because apple wants a cut in addition to the manufacturer making a profit. Possibly subjective, considering the people who would buy this case have presumably spent $40 to $70 on smart covers. This is the criticism I most agree with.

5. "The case is very hard to take off." Couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's due to the fact that my pad is ghost armored up, but mine is extremely easy to remove without it coming off accidentally. Put a little pressure on the two tabs furthest away from the smart cover hinge, and it's off in under two seconds. I don't know, maybe the reviewer has 2 finger nails.

I don't think the Belkin is perfection, don't get me wrong. But my niggles, but one, are different than his. But for maximum slimness, acceptable protection and full smart cover compatibility, it's the best I've come across...so far.

Yeah I have no trouble taking my case off at all, and I don't have much trouble opening my smart cover either

sotie
May 6, 2011, 08:20 AM
It's for what I like to like call modular protection. The Belkin attaches and removes easily. You can use it without the case and just a smart cover and skin at home. Snap on the Belkin for light travel. Throw it all together in a sleeve for greater protection and less visibility.

I already have a skin and the snap shield (skin on mine and snap shield on my wife's). I was just asking because they both serve the same purpose protecting the back from scratches. I don't really know what extra protection you'll get by attaching the snap shield when you're not at home. If you drop it you're hosed either way.

bouda
May 6, 2011, 08:41 AM

Received a second one today with full coverage. Unfortunately the full coverage one is scratched up, and some of the cuts on the sides are not even. Same sort of production issues I assume. I do agree that $40 is extremely high for this. Even $30 is way to high. It is a great product, good feel, good coverage, but should not be priced so high. This is the best one I have seen in terms of back coverage compatible with the smart cover though.

bouda
May 6, 2011, 08:44 AM
I already have a skin and the snap shield (skin on mine and snap shield on my wife's). I was just asking because they both serve the same purpose protecting the back from scratches. I don't really know what extra protection you'll get by attaching the snap shield when you're not at home. If you drop it you're hosed either way.

I think the belkin would help a little more against small dents, say if you have the iPad in your hand and you accidentally hit it against a corner of a table or desk. There is always the chance for dirt or other small particles do get inside the belkin and cause scratches.

Just a few thoughts, however I will be using just the belkin, no skin on the back.

clyde2801
May 6, 2011, 10:35 AM

I didn't say it was an otterbox defender....:D But I think it would provide some more protection than a skin without adding excessive weight or bulk.

Being really anal-retentive (Is there a hyphen in that word? Or is it a dash? Anyway..), I got the ghost armor installed as soon as I got the iPad, when no cases were available at all.

Pipper99
May 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
I got mine today at BB in Fort Worth, and it's the full coverage model. I got it to replace an Incipio Feather (not the Smart Feather, of course) so that I'd have a case that works well with the Smart Cover. I like it a lot, but I noticed immediately that it's not as grippy as the Feather: the iPad starts a slow slide out of my hand unless I grip it tightly. The Feather was much easier to hold one handed. I'm looking forward to trying the Smart Feather.

bouda
May 6, 2011, 05:54 PM
I got mine today at BB in Fort Worth, and it's the full coverage model. I got it to replace an Incipio Feather (not the Smart Feather, of course) so that I'd have a case that works well with the Smart Cover. I like it a lot, but I noticed immediately that it's not as grippy as the Feather: the iPad starts a slow slide out of my hand unless I grip it tightly. The Feather was much easier to hold one handed. I'm looking forward to trying the Smart Feather.

Problems I have with the feather while looking at the pictures:
1. It does not have full coverage
2. You can not take the smart cover off without removing the feather

bouda
May 6, 2011, 05:57 PM
I don't know if anyone has better knowledge them myself, but I have both the full coverage and non-full coverage in my possession. They each have a sticker on the back near the barcode:

1311AF - non-full coverage
1311AY - full coverage

Also, The number above the barcodes are the same, however the full coverage one has this in addition: Rev. A00

I assume this is referring to a revision Belkin made after they confirmed the ports and buttons on the iPad 2. If this is the case then going forward I would assume the full coverage one will be then one showing up more in the future.

Pipper99
May 6, 2011, 06:26 PM
Problems I have with the feather while looking at the pictures:
1. It does not have full coverage
2. You can not take the smart cover off without removing the feather

Ew, the second point would be a deal breaker for me.

Capt T
May 6, 2011, 09:05 PM
Picked up the one that has full coverage today. The Best Buy I went to had both styles. Like the fact that there is no lip over the glass. Saw that the other style had the clear or etched belkin logo like someone else had mentioned. Wondering if over time the white logo will fade or wear off....

Thanks for all the reviews on it.

slaphotk
May 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
Does anyone have this case along with the Logitech Keyboard case? If so, wondering if the Ipad 2 fits with the keyboard case??

neko girl
May 7, 2011, 07:55 PM
For those of you using the iPad 1 dock with the iPad 2 + this case: the iPad 2 fits on the dock and is recognized on the computer, but you have to carefully make sure the alignment is OK. There are many ways the iPad 2 can sit on the dock where the computer may not recognize it.

Once again, it works, but placing the iPad 2 on the dock is not as quick and painless.

I have no problems whatsoever with the smart cover.

I have the case that does full coverage - not the etched logo.

Night Spring
May 7, 2011, 09:53 PM
Picked up the "smoke black" from J&R. It has full coverage, and aside from the color, seems the same as the reported clear ones. The logo is printed, but because of the darker color of the cover, is only prominent from certain angles. The rubber-like texture makes it a little easier to grip the iPad. Feels solid and works well with the Smart Cover. Very happy with it!

Picture with black leather smart cover.

bouda
May 7, 2011, 10:56 PM
Picked up the "smoke black" from J&R. It has full coverage, and aside from the color, seems the same as the reported clear ones. The logo is printed, but because of the darker color of the cover, is only prominent from certain angles. The rubber-like texture makes it a little easier to grip the iPad. Feels solid and works well with the Smart Cover. Very happy with it!

The contrast of the silver and black look nice. Now I don't know what one I would rather have. The closest best buy sold out which was not selling the full coverage, I was hoping when they restocked it would be with the full, but not so much.

Night Spring
May 8, 2011, 05:10 AM
The contrast of the silver and black look nice. Now I don't know what one I would rather have. The closest best buy sold out which was not selling the full coverage, I was hoping when they restocked it would be with the full, but not so much.

Well, J&R still only has the "smoke" in stock, the clear one is on pre-order with no indication of an arrival date. So if you buy from them, and don't want to wait, you have no choice but to go with the "smoke." Oh, and if anyone in the NY area is thinking of going there to pick one up, you need to call in for in-store pickup ahead of time, they don't have it out on display.

3goldens
May 8, 2011, 10:52 AM

I think that looks really smart!

great choice. looking forward to seeing what the black one I bought on sale on amazon looks like in comparison to the Belkin.

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 02:55 PM
Its certainly OK for 7 bucks, as you can see it does leave the anntenna and a portion where smart cover attaches exposed.

It is also lighter than the Belkin.

I have a Wrapsol on mine so this really doesn't concern me but for others it may be a deal breaker.

I still think the Belkin is the best one currently out there!

bouda
May 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
very interested to see this product... looks full coverage. Wonder what that oval is on the back? magnet? I'm usually not a fan o specks styles but this looks pretty simple. I'd like to see how it feels.

http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/ipad-2-case-smartshell-black.html

iminboston
May 9, 2011, 04:51 PM
Here is a pic of the Belkin with a black carbon fiber skin on the ipad.

Image (http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa190/lanek99/IMAG0015.jpg)

What brand is your carbon fiber back?

I just ordered the smoke case from J&R and I have an icarbon back on mine, hope it fits like yours does.

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 05:32 PM
very interested to see this product... looks full coverage. Wonder what that oval is on the back? magnet? I'm usually not a fan o specks styles but this looks pretty simple. I'd like to see how it feels.

http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/ipad-2-case-smartshell-black.html

get one, I would be interested in hearing about it!

jennyfer
May 9, 2011, 06:56 PM
In my quest to find the perfect case, I ordered the Dodo case and then picked up the Belkin snap case last week at my local Best Buy. I was planning on using both cases depending on my needs but when I removed the snap case this afternoon (my dodo case arrived 1 week early!), it cracked in the corner! I'm very sad because this snap case is awesome. I just wanted to report my issue so others would be aware to be CAREFUL when removing it. So sad!

bouda
May 9, 2011, 08:22 PM
get one, I would be interested in hearing about it!

I may buy one if I can find it at Target. I'm not going to order one off line and have to ship it back if I don't like it. If you look at the clear one, it looks like it is the most full coverage of any. Plastic even goes around the buttons, not just openings. Only thing it does not cover is the speaker as some cases now have a grid over them. Wonder how soft these are? I do not like the idea of a hard plastic as they scratch too much. Don't know about the magnet or whatever that is on the back as well. Looks like it goes over the bezel as well. Wonder how that affects screen protectors, tough to get on, off? Hopefully we see a review soon.

Clear one... http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/ipad-2-case-smartshell-clear.html

cole01
May 9, 2011, 09:09 PM
finally got around to taking some photos of my setup. Ignore the smudges. ;) I love how it looks and everything fits perfectly. :apple: my skin is by iCarbons (highly recommended).

jedolley
May 9, 2011, 09:31 PM
I may buy one if I can find it at Target. I'm not going to order one off line and have to ship it back if I don't like it. If you look at the clear one, it looks like it is the most full coverage of any. Plastic even goes around the buttons, not just openings. Only thing it does not cover is the speaker as some cases now have a grid over them. Wonder how soft these are? I do not like the idea of a hard plastic as they scratch too much. Don't know about the magnet or whatever that is on the back as well. Looks like it goes over the bezel as well. Wonder how that affects screen protectors, tough to get on, off? Hopefully we see a review soon.

Clear one... http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-2-cases/ipad-2-case-smartshell-clear.html

The wording of the details makes me think it's a magnet to hold the smart over when folded back.

"Maintains Smart Cover's magnetic fit when flipped open"

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 10:19 PM
Just got this in my email!
& Free delivery to boot!

Dear Valued Customer,

We are pleased to tell you that the following item(s) have just become available for shipment. You can order by clicking the link next to the item(s) you wish to receive.

Belkin Snap Shield Clear Back Cover - F8N631EBC01 -

http://www.jr.com/product/productDetail.jsp?navProduct=BKN_F8N631EBC01

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 10:21 PM
In my quest to find the perfect case, I ordered the Dodo case and then picked up the Belkin snap case last week at my local Best Buy. I was planning on using both cases depending on my needs but when I removed the snap case this afternoon (my dodo case arrived 1 week early!), it cracked in the corner! I'm very sad because this snap case is awesome. I just wanted to report my issue so others would be aware to be CAREFUL when removing it. So sad!

the belkin case snapped????

Ring them right up and have it replaced!

jennyfer
May 9, 2011, 10:35 PM
the belkin case snapped????

Ring them right up and have it replaced!

Yes!! It cracked in the corner when I was removing it gently! It's a great case though. I just got it last Thursday so I'm having another shipped to Best Buy so I can exchange it. $40 case should last longer than 3 days.

3goldens
May 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
The wording of the details makes me think it's a magnet to hold the smart over when folded back.

"Maintains Smart Cover's magnetic fit when flipped open"

thats what it is, I like this but I am cased out at this point, I would have to get another ipad if I got anymore cases!

Looking forward to hearing some reviews on this. Especially interested in hearing how easily the cover comes off.

clyde2801
May 10, 2011, 06:32 AM
Some PR type at gleemobile is telling me a) they're going to be one of the first ones to get the speck case, b) speck has already missed one ship date, and c) they expect to get them by the end of the third week of may.

bouda
May 10, 2011, 06:40 AM
Some PR type at gleemobile is telling me a) they're going to be one of the first ones to get the speck case, b) speck has already missed one ship date, and c) they expect to get them by the end of the third week of may.

Available on Speck's website right now. More pictures up too. Looks like they may have nailed the area where the hinge goes. I do not see any of the back of the iPad. Wish they showed a front picture.

bouda
May 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
Any else that has a full coverage one notice imperfections in the smoothness of the cuts? I have purchased 2 separate ones now, from best buys 1000 miles apart, and both of them have rough, not level cuts about half way up the hinge side as well as the volume button side. One is worse then the other. I'm not being picky here, these are vary noticeable, especially since it is $40. Very disappointed in the quality Belkin is producing for this case.

prisoner6
May 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
Any else that has a full coverage one notice imperfections in the smoothness of the cuts? I have purchased 2 separate ones now, from best buys 1000 miles apart, and both of them have rough, not level cuts about half way up the hinge side as well as the volume button side. One is worse then the other. I'm not being picky here, these are vary noticeable, especially since it is $40. Very disappointed in the quality Belkin is producing for this case.

I have had both the full and partial coverage versions. The feel of the full coverage is not nearly as refined as the partial one. That, along with the less visible logo almost makes me want to prefer the less coverage one. The finish on it is much better. The lack of coverage doesn't bother me much as i mostly just want something for when I set it down.

Still deciding which to keep.

bouda
May 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
I have had both the full and partial coverage versions. The feel of the full coverage is not nearly as refined as the partial one. That, along with the less visible logo almost makes me want to prefer the less coverage one. The finish on it is much better. The lack of coverage doesn't bother me much as i mostly just want something for when I set it down.

Still deciding which to keep.

I have had both too, and agree 100%. But I want full coverage. It amazes me that for $29.99 or $39.99, depending on where you purchase, that the full coverage case is sold in this condition.

bouda
May 11, 2011, 02:18 PM

Do you notice any imperfections on the edges of the smoke case? Both clear ones I have purchased at different best buys have rough or uneven cuts along the side edges about half way up (one on the hinge side, and one on the volume button side). Others have reported this as well.

Night Spring
May 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
Do you notice any imperfections on the edges of the smoke case? Both clear ones I have purchased at different best buys have rough or uneven cuts along the side edges about half way up (one on the hinge side, and one on the volume button side). Others have reported this as well.

I took a close look at the edges after seeing your posts, and there's very slight unevenness, but nothing I'm bothered by, and I doubt I'd have noticed it if it hadn't been for your posts. It certainly doesn't FEEL rough at all.

Sorry that you're having trouble with yours, but I'm perfectly happy with mine.

mikeeboss
May 11, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi

Just put my Belkin Snap case on and it's great!

Gives it great protection, feels great and doesn't add much thickness.

Had trouble tracking it down in the UK but got some in the end.

Think there are some appearing on eBay UK now.

Regards

Mike

3goldens
May 13, 2011, 04:38 PM

Well, I guess whoever it was at gleemobile.com, was right, cause I got mine today after ordering on Wednesday. It was drop shipped from Speck DIRECTLY!

I spoke about it in another thread and think its a really great case. It is not without some problems but we all know know very very well that there are problems with finding the Belkin case consistently that has the full coverage.

This case is just as good and is less expensive, $34.50 shipped from gleemobile.com and provides just as much coverage if not more and has innovative way of holding the smart front cover magnetically to the back when you fold it over. Works great.

All things line up perfectly, its very snug, and most importantly it is screen and skin protector friendly. Has a nice feel to it, no need to worry about this slipping out of your hands.

This has been key with a bunch of folks who have wrecked an expensive skin trying to get the Mareware or other cases to fit with the protection still n. Not a problem for the Speck, none what so ever.

It does have some minor finishing issues, a little rough around some edges. Easy to fix, a little fine sand paper cleared right up in ten seconds flat!

This one is truly a keeper! Not sure there's much room for improvement, I have what I need in terms of protection of my Ipads tender and so easily scratched aluminum back

And what's really cool is the Speck is available in colors!

You can get it here at gleemobile.com with free shipping and 10 off with the coupon below:

http://www.gleemobile.com/catalog/product/view/id/3383

These guys at gleemobile.com waste no time at all getting it out to you.

I ordered it on Wednesday of this week and had it in my hands in NYC from LA Friday.

If you use gleefriends in the coupon area in the checkout you'll get another 10% off! Plus no charge for priority shipping.

These guys are amazing, super service!

sotie
May 13, 2011, 08:29 PM
I think the Belkin Snap Shield looks better.

dreamphyre
May 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned but I just saw the smoke belkin snap shield tonight at target for $30. Didn't pay enough attention as to if it was the full coverage version or not.

duk
May 14, 2011, 01:07 AM
Just looked at belkins US site and it seems they have finally officially put this case up and it is 29.99, as predicted Best Buy marked it up for the early adopters. Hopefully the new price will be reflected in Best Buys Sunday ad so we can get the $10 back (I know it's not that much, but I don't like feeling ripped off). If not, I'll grab one at target and return the one from best buy on principal alone.

3goldens
May 14, 2011, 01:34 AM
Just looked at belkins US site and it seems they have finally officially put this case up and it is 29.99, as predicted Best Buy marked it up for the early adopters. Hopefully the new price will be reflected in Best Buys Sunday ad so we can get the $10 back (I know it's not that much, but I don't like feeling ripped off). If not, I'll grab one at target and return the one from best buy on principal alone.

Good to know, thanks for letting us know!

Hope they get their act together with regard to the two models we have seen and hopefully they go with the fuller protection!

We will probably start seeing them in all the retail outlets, and the on line accessory joints like gleemobile & Amazon

clyde2801
May 14, 2011, 07:00 AM

With the other early item, Best Buy listed it for the MSRP once they put it up on their site. Not so with the Belkin, but hopefully they'll see reason.

bouda
May 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
Good to know, thanks for letting us know!

Hope they get their act together with regard to the two models we have seen and hopefully they go with the fuller protection!

We will probably start seeing them in all the retail outlets, and the on line accessory joints like gleemobile & Amazon

I just saw them at target. Def. full coverage. Can't decide if I like the smoke better then the clear. I checked the areas where I and others reported the belkin having some blemishes. Really is unnoticable unless you are picky, but they all had them. It looks almost like it is cut when they remove the molding.

Still like it, but I like perfection. I also did not think I would be interested in a magnet on the back as the speck has, but walking around the house chatting on FaceTime, I was wishing I had one.

Got the AG power support on and love it. This paired with the smart cover and a back shell is perfect. Complimented with a neoprene sleeve when I take it out is ideal for me.

With all these shells coming out, I do not understand how so many of them do not have full coverage or leave to much space for the hinge.

Waiting for a retail store to get the speck.

Went to apple today regarding the stuck pixel. They ordered me a new one. Heard them talking and one guy said the general rule was 3 in a close area. Hope the new one does not have any.

3goldens
May 15, 2011, 06:02 PM
I just saw them at target. Def. full coverage. Can't decide if I like the smoke better then the clear. I checked the areas where I and others reported the belkin having some blemishes. Really is unnoticable unless you are picky, but they all had them. It looks almost like it is cut when they remove the molding.

Still like it, but I like perfection. I also did not think I would be interested in a magnet on the back as the speck has, but walking around the house chatting on FaceTime, I was wishing I had one.

Got the AG power support on and love it. This paired with the smart cover and a back shell is perfect. Complimented with a neoprene sleeve when I take it out is ideal for me.

With all these shells coming out, I do not understand how so many of them do not have full coverage or leave to much space for the hinge.

Waiting for a retail store to get the speck.

Went to apple today regarding the stuck pixel. They ordered me a new one. Heard them talking and one guy said the general rule was 3 in a close area. Hope the new one does not have any.

So your going to get both?
variety is good!
By the end of the day I should have the following:

The Belkin snap shield
The Speck
The mareware micro shield-I'll never use it.
The mareware Ec0-Vu-sent as a gift from Mareware for their screw up!
Yaboo (sp?) in red leather would like a black!
The clone of Apple ipad first case from 800deals
Otterbox defender & utility latch
Mophie Workbook-Not released yet but I will no doubt be sent one.

lets see, have I forgotten anything oh yes,
& the crappy Acase from Amazon.

wow, I think I'm good on cases for this version of the ipad, but one never knows!

bouda
May 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
So your going to get both?
variety is good!
By the end of the day I should have the following:

The Belkin snap shield
The Speck
The mareware micro shield-I'll never use it.
The mareware Ec0-Vu-sent as a gift from Mareware for their screw up!
Yaboo (sp?) in red leather would like a black!
The clone of Apple ipad first case from 800deals
Otterbox defender & utility latch
Mophie Workbook-Not released yet but I will no doubt be sent one.

lets see, have I forgotten anything oh yes,
& the crappy Acase from Amazon.

wow, I think I'm good on cases for this version of the ipad, but one never knows!

No... I'd return the clear. I'll only keep one- belkin clear, smoke or speck. Whatever one I like most. Imhave no need for more then one.

duk
May 16, 2011, 12:14 AM
Local Target's in Houston do not carry this case yet, guess I'll continue to keep an eye on best buys site for that price drop as I still have a couple weeks on my return window. Also, I find this case extremely frustrating to take off... I read earlier some say it's easy and can be done in 2 seconds, please elaborate on this technique, as I like to remove dust from time to time, to prevent scratching in the future. Thanks.

clyde2801
May 16, 2011, 03:51 AM
Local Target's in Houston do not carry this case yet, guess I'll continue to keep an eye on best buys site for that price drop as I still have a couple weeks on my return window. Also, I find this case extremely frustrating to take off... I read earlier some say it's easy and can be done in 2 seconds, please elaborate on this technique, as I like to remove dust from time to time, to prevent scratching in the future. Thanks.

1. I merely bend one of my tabs out with the slightest pressure, and the ipad is ready to come out. This is with ghost armor on my front and back. Must be some manufacturing tolerances coming into play.

2. The Belkin smoke version is on BB's website...for $39.99. My prediction is that they'll drop the price when another brick and mortar retailer has the case in stock for a lower price; their price matching policy doesn't cover internet sales.

Awjvail
May 16, 2011, 04:11 AM
Just a question... why would anybody go for this case? Especially the finnicky combo...

There are *a lot* of cases out there that are specifically designed together and have basically a folio built right in (ie the Switcheasy canvas). Why would you waste your money on a $49-$69 Smart Cover and then another $39 on a back case? In the end you've spent $88-$108 on a case that does the exact same thing as a $49 case, while having to screw around with two separate pieces and a smart cover that is finicky enough as it is.

clyde2801
May 16, 2011, 05:54 AM
Just a question... why would anybody go for this case? Especially the finnicky combo...

There are *a lot* of cases out there that are specifically designed together and have basically a folio built right in (ie the Switcheasy canvas). Why would you waste your money on a $49-$69 Smart Cover and then another $39 on a back case? In the end you've spent $88-$108 on a case that does the exact same thing as a $49 case, while having to screw around with two separate pieces and a smart cover that is finicky enough as it is.

Many folks here are early adopters, and got their pad 2's in the first couple of weeks after launch. Since apple is so strict about secrecy, they didn't release any specs of the product to third party accessory providers. Meaning, when we bought our ipads, it was either buy a smart cover, go naked, or see if it would work in a v1 case. Only a handful of cases are now in brick and mortars. Just like the 1st version, by the time a selection of cases and non apple accessories is readily available, the ipad 2 will probably be halfway through its product lifecycle before a newer version is released.

(BTW, I like the smart cover for its looks, semi cleaning function, and wake sleep function.)

I bought the cover, and would rather have a case to compliment it. I'm using a modular level of protection based upon my location and usage. Smart cover for home, snap on case for dashing out of the house or going to the office, and a slip bag (and keyboard and case) for extended traveling.

I've heard good things about the switcheasy, and I'm glad you like it. Just try not to be hatin' on people who don't agree with your choices, m'kay?;)

bouda
May 16, 2011, 06:08 AM

Also, there are certain times I like the idea of being able to take the cover off and just have protection on the back.

jedolley
May 16, 2011, 07:17 AM

Has anyone picked this up at target and can provide the DCPI? That way we could provide an inventory link to help those still looking for this case.

Mr.C
May 16, 2011, 07:29 AM

Personally I'm not keen on the folio cases as I like to use the iPad in as close to it's naked form as possible. Having a clear shell on the back and a Smart Cover on the front allows me to do that whilst still having some protection. I have a sleeve for when I take it out of the house. Also not all the folio cases have the on/off magnet feature of the Smart Cover.

bouda
May 16, 2011, 07:52 AM
Has anyone picked this up at target and can provide the DCPI? That way we could provide an inventory link to help those still looking for this case.

If I go back there I will post one. Target has been very slow at adding iPad 2 products to their site. They've had a few of the Speck cases at stores for a while now.

clyde2801
May 18, 2011, 10:06 PM
Looks like Best Buy has the Smoke version of the case on their website now...not available online (sold out) nor in stores yet officially.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Snap+Shield+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2+-+Smoke/2573477.p?id=1218336579638&skuId=2573477&st=ipad%202%20cases&cp=1&lp=11

Of course, it may be possible to call up individual stores with the sku {2573477}to see if they can track it that way.

3goldens
May 19, 2011, 12:52 AM
I keep coming back to the Belkin it just a seems s much more comfortable than the speck.

Its just so seamless. And nice to handle, no rough edges, fit nicely, no bezel to contend with, you don't even know it's thee.

The speck does have a tendency the to come apart down by the connector port, there are two little snaps there that are supposed hold the case in place, but if yr holding it a certain wy they just pop and it really buggin mel!

I do llike the strip feature but you know what, you can do that akk on yr own and on any case, just find a small piece of conductive metal and play around with the placement, works like a charm.

EDH667
May 19, 2011, 08:45 AM
I keep coming back to the Belkin it just a seems s much more comfortable than the speck.

Its just so seamless. And nice to handle, no rough edges, fit nicely, no bezel to contend with, you don't even know it's thee.

The speck does have a tendency the to come apart down by the connector port, there are two little snaps there that are supposed hold the case in place, but if yr holding it a certain wy they just pop and it really buggin mel!

I do llike the strip feature but you know what, you can do that akk on yr own and on any case, just find a small piece of conductive metal and play around with the placement, works like a charm.

I agree I like the Belkin the best. You are correct that it is very easy to insert a strip of metal between the case and iPad. In my case I used a very thin section of a Feeler Gauge. Works like a charm!

Mr.C
May 19, 2011, 01:43 PM
Is this the better version ?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9794058/art/belkin/snap-shield-hard-case-tra.html#tech-specs

bouda
May 19, 2011, 01:58 PM
Is this the better version ?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9794058/art/belkin/snap-shield-hard-case-tra.html#tech-specs

Tough to say. The bottom on that picture, as well as on all other websites is not full coverage. However no one has gotten a case like this, so my guess is it is an old picture.

bouda
May 19, 2011, 02:07 PM
Looks like Best Buy has the Smoke version of the case on their website now...not available online (sold out) nor in stores yet officially.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Snap+Shield+for+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPad%26%23174%3B+2+-+Smoke/2573477.p?id=1218336579638&skuId=2573477&st=ipad%202%20cases&cp=1&lp=11

Of course, it may be possible to call up individual stores with the sku {2573477}to see if they can track it that way.

$40... when are they going to drop their price? I would guess you can price match with Target, although target does not have it listed on their site.

Mr.C
May 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Tough to say. The bottom on that picture, as well as on all other websites is not full coverage. However no one has gotten a case like this, so my guess is it is an old picture.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure whether to take a chance on this one as I really can't be bothered with the hassle of returning it. I don't think it's available in any local retail stores here in the UK.

xStatiCa
May 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
EDH667, Thank you for your post and picture about adding the back magnet feature to the belkin. I am very close to cancelling my Speck order. That was the only reason for me to go with the Speck. A slimmer case would be ideal for me. How good is the feel of the back of the Belkin case to you? Does it feel like it will slip easily out of your hands?

Now if only I could find one somewhere other than BestBuy. I plan to check my local Target tonight but they have very few things for the ipad 2 the last time I checked a few weeks ago.

EDH667
May 19, 2011, 05:02 PM
EDH667, Thank you for your post and picture about adding the back magnet feature to the belkin. I am very close to cancelling my Speck order. That was the only reason for me to go with the Speck. A slimmer case would be ideal for me. How good is the feel of the back of the Belkin case to you? Does it feel like it will slip easily out of your hands?

Now if only I could find one somewhere other than BestBuy. I plan to check my local Target tonight but they have very few things for the ipad 2 the last time I checked a few weeks ago.

It doesn't feel slippery since there is a slight texture. Also, BestBuy matched J&R's $29.99 price for me (even when J&R was out of stock). It may be worth a try. I tried one of the Smoke color ones from Target, but it seems to have a different material and felt like it had sharper edges around the corners.

3goldens
May 19, 2011, 05:09 PM
I agree I like the Belkin the best. You are correct that it is very easy to insert a strip of metal between the case and iPad. In my case I used a very thin section of a Feeler Gauge. Works like a charm!

Brilliant! Sorry what is Feeler Gauge>

TypeMRT
May 19, 2011, 05:37 PM

How did you attach the feeler gauge to the case (spray adhesive, super glue)? What thickness feeler gauge did you use?
Thanks.

EDH667
May 19, 2011, 05:50 PM
How did you attach the feeler gauge to the case (spray adhesive, super glue)? What thickness feeler gauge did you use?
Thanks.

I didn't attach it, I just positioned it in the case and then put the iPad on top and snapped it in. It doesn't move around. I suppose some spray adhesive would work to keep it in the same spot on the case. I used .005 or .127 mm feeler gauge and cut it with tin snips.

xStatiCa
May 19, 2011, 11:39 PM
I just used 3M RF shielding tape to make the apple smart case stick to the back of the belkin case. I no longer want the Speck. The Belkin is now the perfect case for me.

I didn't need to use such a long piece because the magnet in the apple smart cover doesn't extend that far from center but it works so I left it long. I will probably cut it shorter though sometime and round the corners of it so it looks like the antenae shape.

I messed up the forum name in the video but I corrected it in the video description.

Quick video I made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxcnm_37gg&sns=em
gLxcnm_37gg

TypeMRT
May 20, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think I'm happy with the Dark Titainium Carbon skin by **********, Belkin Snap Shield in Smoke, & Black Smart Cover. Adding that feeler gauge metal strip has made the difference!
The Speck SmartShell is being shipped but I found the Belkin in stock at Target locally and couldn't wait. I can't see how the Speck could be much better than what I have, except I got the Speck for $10 cheaper.

Night Spring
May 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
I just used 3M RF shielding tape to make the apple smart case stick to the back of the belkin case.

That looks great. But where would I get that tape? Tried googling, but couldn't find it. :(

In the meanwhile, I taped a paper clip to the back of my Belkin cover. It looks a bit strange, but it works!

xStatiCa
May 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
A feeler gauge is easier to obtain. The 3M tape is 3M EMI Absorber AB-5030 which is 0.3mm thick. It can only be obtained in sheets or rolls and is kind of expensive. I just used the 3M tape because that is what I could obtain quickly where I work and it is soft so I figured it would not scratch the iPad. I actually had 1 piece left over but someone PMd me and asked for it already. If a bunch of people want some I guess I could get a sheet of it but I doubt many would want some based on the low post count since this was revealed. Feeler gauge seems like the best bet for anyone that wants to do this since that is easy to obtain from any auto parts store.

cole01
May 21, 2011, 03:33 AM
What a cheap piece of plastic this case has turned out to be. I loved it at first but after gently removing it a few times the plastic next to the speaker cut-out snapped! I'll be getting a replacement from Belkin as soon as I send this one in.

Am I the only one desperately waiting for the belkin grip vue (maybe even a smart cover compatible version?)

Night Spring
May 21, 2011, 05:31 AM
A feeler gauge is easier to obtain. The 3M tape is 3M EMI Absorber AB-5030 which is 0.3mm thick. It can only be obtained in sheets or rolls and is kind of expensive. I just used the 3M tape because that is what I could obtain quickly where I work and it is soft so I figured it would not scratch the iPad. I actually had 1 piece left over but someone PMd me and asked for it already. If a bunch of people want some I guess I could get a sheet of it but I doubt many would want some based on the low post count since this was revealed. Feeler gauge seems like the best bet for anyone that wants to do this since that is easy to obtain from any auto parts store.

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out if this functionality is worth the hassle of going out of my way to get a feeler gauge. I've also been looking into magnetic sheets. I have a magnetic card from a local store on my fridge, but it is so weak it barely sticks to the smart cover. The paper clip I have now gets the job done, so I guess I'll just stick with that until I run across a better solution.

3goldens
May 21, 2011, 08:48 AM
What a cheap piece of plastic this case has turned out to be. I loved it at first but after gently removing it a few times the plastic next to the speaker cut-out snapped! I'll be getting a replacement from Belkin as soon as I send this one in.

Am I the only one desperately waiting for the belkin grip vue (maybe even a smart cover compatible version?)

That's too bad, glad your getting it replaced. Is this the Belkin Snap Shield or grip vue?

Grip Vue is not smart cover compatible right?

Night Spring
May 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
That's too bad, glad your getting it replaced. Is this the Belkin Snap Shield or grip vue?

Grip Vue is not smart cover compatible right?

Grip Vue is the TPU case they have for iPhone, iPod touch, and the first iPad. There isn't a Grip Vue for iPad 2.

jennyfer
May 21, 2011, 11:22 AM

This is EXACTLY where mine cracked a few days ago. I did order a replacement from Amazon for $10 cheaper though (and it was the full coverage one!). I still love this case and hope it does NOT crack again. I'm being VERY careful when removing it.

On a side note, any one have suggestions on how to clean this? Dumb question I'm sure. But I'm seeing A LOT of fingerprints now.

bouda
May 21, 2011, 11:23 AM

I remove it from the top 2 corners, seems easier that way. Then the bottom comes off with ease.

My other thought on this is if this is happening a lot, maybe they are moving to the bottom with less coverage that is posted on bestbuy/j&r/belkins sites...

3goldens
May 21, 2011, 05:15 PM
This is EXACTLY where mine cracked a few days ago. I did order a replacement from Amazon for $10 cheaper though (and it was the full coverage one!). I still love this case and hope it does NOT crack again. I'm being VERY careful when removing it.

On a side note, any one have suggestions on how to clean this? Dumb question I'm sure. But I'm seeing A LOT of fingerprints now.

you should call Belkin on Monday and have them replace that, it should be covered, then when you get your replacement send the Amazon one back!

jennyfer
May 21, 2011, 06:58 PM
you should call Belkin on Monday and have them replace that, it should be covered, then when you get your replacement send the Amazon one back!

Actually, I returned my cracked one to Best Buy but they didn't have the full coverage ones in stock after I bought the initial one. So I just ordered it from Amazon. Just hoping it doesn't crack again.

Warbrain
May 22, 2011, 08:34 AM
I bought one yesterday and love it. It's really the thing that makes me like the smart cover now. I'll see if I end up keeping it, though.

3goldens
May 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
Actually, I returned my cracked one to Best Buy but they didn't have the full coverage ones in stock after I bought the initial one. So I just ordered it from Amazon. Just hoping it doesn't crack again.

if it was me that's like wasting forty bucks. Belkin will replace it under warranty. And it wont happen if you don't force it. Do you have a skin protector on it?

If you do, be even more tender slipping it off, one tab at a time.

clyde2801
May 22, 2011, 10:35 AM
if it was me that's like wasting forty bucks. Belkin will replace it under warranty. And it wont happen if you don't force it. Do you have a skin protector on it?

If you do, be even more tender slipping it off, one tab at a time.

And the award for the biggest number of unintentional double entrendres in a post goes to....:eek::D

C-Dub
May 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
just got smoke version from Target for 29.99 and I love it!! It's the one with full coverage.

It reminds me very much of my iPhone 4 Incase Snap case in smoke.

highly recommended!

duk
May 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
The snap shield saga continues and is hopefully now concluded. Target now has the smoke version on the website with store availability checker etc.
I picked up one at my local target @ 29.99 and promptly returned the clear one to Best Buy, wasn't intested in a price match as best buys price gouge was offensive and they don't deserve my business.
I still like the case, smoke version looks slick, hoping it doesn't get as many fingerprints as the clear, but realistically it prob will. 29.99 is a much better price for this product, I'm satisfied, although I did put in a hilarious amount of time and effort into this case, that time wise far exceeds the $10 I just saved.
Hopefully now everyone interested can pick them up at target which also has an excellent 90 return policy should future problems (cracking) arise. Good luck.
Also thought I should mention, this is the full coverage version of this case.

3goldens
May 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
I did put in a hilarious amount of time and effort into this case that time wise far exceeds the $10 I just saved.

Ain't it the truth for us all!!!!:)

Also thought I should mention, this is the full coverage version of this case.

That could be a good omen!

phooi
May 23, 2011, 06:53 PM
Just picked up the clear snap shield from Best Buy. I have the full coverage version. They were willing to price match it to Target without a hassle.

It was very easy to install and remove. The only issue I had was removing the tiny specks of dust and lint between the iPad and the case during installation. I had no trouble whatsoever in removing the case. What work for me was to remove from the corners where the power switch and camera are located and then slip the bottom off. No fingernails are necessary. Just steady pressure on the corners.

The fit is precise and leaves a very small lip around the iPad. It works perfectly with the smart cover. However there are a couple of nits. First, the speaker cutout obscures two of the speaker holes. Second, some of edges around the case are a little sharp. It has the feeling of scraping your finger across a knife blade. I believe that can be fixed with some fine grain sandpaper or a sharp blade.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the snap shield and would recommend it as a great solution to a back cover + smart cover.

3goldens
May 23, 2011, 07:31 PM
I just used 3M RF shielding tape to make the apple smart case stick to the back of the belkin case. I no longer want the Speck. The Belkin is now the perfect case for me.

I didn't need to use such a long piece because the magnet in the apple smart cover doesn't extend that far from center but it works so I left it long. I will probably cut it shorter though sometime and round the corners of it so it looks like the antenae shape.

I messed up the forum name in the video but I corrected it in the video description.

Quick video I made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxcnm_37gg&sns=em
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gLxcnm_37gg)

Can you point us in the direction of finding this tape!
thanks

GleeMobile has the Belkin Snap Shield, full coverage!
Free shipping!

http://www.gleemobile.com/ipad/ipad-2g/cases/belkin-snap-shield-case-for-ipad-2-smart-cover-compatible.html

duk
May 29, 2011, 12:07 AM
Something I didn't notice on the clear version of this case are hideous burrs around the edges (smoke version). The more I used it, it became very apparent there was no way I was going to be able to stand those razor sharp burrs digging into my palms. I just got through using a razor blade to carefully scrape Most of them down, although not perfect, it is better off then it was. How much trouble is it for Belkin to refine a piece of plastic that they are charging a 100000000000% markup on, come on! Also worth mentioning, the clear version cut out section for the smart cover was off, every time I'd snap the cover on, one side of it would end up partially on top of the Belkin case, I'd then need to physically move it into place. The new one does not have this problem, so it is very apparent that although this is a great back cover, there is ZERO quality control associated with it.

3goldens
May 29, 2011, 12:27 AM
Something I didn't notice on the clear version of this case are hideous burrs around the edges (smoke version). The more I used it, it became very apparent there was no way I was going to be able to stand those razor sharp burrs digging into my palms. I just got through using a razor blade to carefully scrape Most of them down, although not perfect, it is better off then it was. How much trouble is it for Belkin to refine a piece of plastic that they are charging a 100000000000% markup on, come on! Also worth mentioning, the clear version cut out section for the smart cover was off, every time I'd snap the cover on, one side of it would end up partially on top of the Belkin case, I'd then need to physically move it into place. The new one does not have this problem, so it is very apparent that although this is a great back cover, there is ZERO quality control associated with it.

I would take it back, as far as I know I don't think this is a common problem.
Just get another one, why put up with an unfinished product?

joec1101
May 29, 2011, 12:36 AM

Definitely, take it back! You have a defective unit. I've had two of these (one clear and one smoke) and both had excellent finish quality and excellent fit. The smoke version I just got about a week ago and the finish on that one is even better than the first one I got (the clear one) a few weeks ago.

This is a great snap case. If you can't return it for whatever reason, I would contact Belkin and ask for a new one to be shipped to you. There's just no reason to accept/keep a defective unit.

duk
May 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Hmm... So no one else is seeing a sharp edge where the back of the case meets the top lip? (the part that snaps) I read a few pages back someone mentioning uneven edges and assumed that this is what they were talking about. Darn! Now I've already spent 30 minutes de-burring the thing (for the most part).

EDH667
May 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hmm... So no one else is seeing a sharp edge where the back of the case meets the top lip? (the part that snaps) I read a few pages back someone mentioning uneven edges and assumed that this is what they were talking about. Darn! Now I've already spent 30 minutes de-burring the thing (for the most part).

I had both versions, the clear and the smoke. The smoke definitely had sharper edges and seemed to be made with a different material than the clear snap shield.

3goldens
May 29, 2011, 11:39 AM

A rarity, just take it back and inspect the next one before leaving the store.

HazyCloud
May 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
I just got back from Best Buy with a clear full coverage one. Like someone said, it does cover 2 of the speaker holes but that's not a biggie to me. None of the lines seem to be sharp or rough either. Overall, I think it was a great purchase. Best Buy also price matched my Belkin print out of 29.99.

EDIT*

Best Buy added it to their Sunday ad with the marked up price.

Dreamer2go
May 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Just bought the Belkin Snap Shield.

It was so hard to find in Hong Kong.
I really like the design, the look and feel as well
It seems durable well enough, and it makes my iPad 2 very smart looking.

I got the clear one, so I can see everything at the back, matte style.
definitely a great case!!!

mac jones
May 31, 2011, 11:08 PM
Just a heads up

I went to Amazon today to look (and buy ) the Belkin snap.

What I found was, other makes for half the price that appear to be the exact same type (light, flush with the top so they don't interfere with the smart cover).

Actually, you see a lot of this, as the big players come out with something and charge twice or three times what it's worth until no one buys theirs any longer :D.

So in other words; $15 + this one (nice reviews also)

"GreatShield Smart Cover Buddy Snap On Slim-Fit Case for Apple iPad 2 - Silky Satin Black"

There are others.

Tell me what you think. It's hard to say until you try them.

bouda
Jun 1, 2011, 06:53 AM
Just a heads up

What I found was, other makes for half the price that appear to be the exact same type (light, flush with the top so they don't interfere with the smart cover).

Actually, you see a lot of this, as the big players come out with something and charge twice or three times what it's worth until no one buys theirs any longer :D.

"GreatShield Smart Cover Buddy Snap On Slim-Fit Case for Apple iPad 2 - Silky Satin Black"

There are others.

Doesn't cover the top of the iPad.

mac jones
Jun 1, 2011, 06:59 AM
Doesn't cover the top of the iPad.

Maybe, maybe not. Look again at the actually user photos. They are different than the stock ones.

Sort of like those Belkin oddities. But I will have one and post if the top is covered or not. If it's not, it's not good. Doesn't even look good that way.

We shall see what's going on. ( Did these makers have trouble deciding which one they wanted to stick with, or was the open top a first attempt?)

Who knows

3goldens
Jun 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
Just a heads up

There are others.

Yeah, I tried a few of those, they all sucked.

mac jones
Jun 1, 2011, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I tried a few of those, they all sucked.

Did you try the Greatshield version?

I just received the GreatShield cover I posted above. It looks exactly like the Belkin snap, and covers the entire iPad and does not touch the smart cover at (doesn't come over the front).

I'm going to weigh it and edit this post with the weight, as it weighs more than the Feather case, but is still ok. If it weighs the same as the Belkin then it's just a re-badged Belkin for half the price. Since these are all made in good ol China, you often find re-badged items (as you know)

sotie
Jun 1, 2011, 05:59 PM
Just a heads up

There are others.

I was looking for a cheap snap-on to permanently connect to my treadmill using industrial velcro. I purchased the clear GreatShield and I also have the clear Belkin Snap Shield for my wife's ipad. I wasn't expecting much given that it was half the price of the Belkin and I was right. The quality is nowhere near as good as the belkin. All edges are smooth but the plastic feels much cheaper. Also, the Belkin has a nice smooth velvety feel that helps with grip. The GreatShield is just clear plastic and will scratch very easily. Overall, it suits my need for something to afix to my treadmill just fine. I run at a speed over 8 and the ipad stays in the shield just fine.

mac jones
Jun 1, 2011, 07:28 PM
I was looking for a cheap snap-on to permanently connect to my treadmill using industrial velcro. I purchased the clear GreatShield and I also have the clear Belkin Snap Shield for my wife's ipad. I wasn't expecting much given that it was half the price of the Belkin and I was right. The quality is nowhere near as good as the belkin. All edges are smooth but the plastic feels much cheaper. Also, the Belkin has a nice smooth velvety feel that helps with grip. The GreatShield is just clear plastic and will scratch very easily. Overall, it suits my need for something to afix to my treadmill just fine. I run at a speed over 8 and the ipad stays in the shield just fine.

The Greatshield I have is is rubberized. High quality. This porduct is as good as the Incipio Feather, but it's thicker, heavier plastic (not good).

But the quality is there.

J.C
Jun 3, 2011, 04:35 AM
I bought the Snap Shield today expecting it to fit over my Best Skin's Ever skin, as other have said it does. It definitely doesnt fit for me. I can only assume they've changed the sizing slightly or the model sold in Australia is different. Very disappointed and have damaged the corners of the skin trying to get it on.

sotie
Jun 3, 2011, 08:56 AM
The Greatshield I have is is rubberized. High quality. This porduct is as good as the Incipio Feather, but it's thicker, heavier plastic (not good).

But the quality is there.

The one I have is definitely not rubberized. It's a very hard plastic.

3goldens
Jun 3, 2011, 09:15 AM
I bought the Snap Shield today expecting it to fit over my Best Skin's Ever skin, as other have said it does. It definitely doesnt fit for me. I can only assume they've changed the sizing slightly or the model sold in Australia is different. Very disappointed and have damaged the corners of the skin trying to get it on.

I have a thicker skin than yours, a Wrapsol. Goes on without any effort at all!

In fact I have gotten my Ipad on virtually every shield/shell I have bought, that includes the Belkin, The Speck, The Smart Feather, The Mareware MicroShell Folio, The MicroShell. the Mareware products were an extremely tough fit and the only ones that gave me any kind of problems.

So I would be very very surprised if they change the thickness of this thing.

J.C
Jun 3, 2011, 09:35 AM
I have a thicker skin than yours, a Wrapsol. Goes on without any effort at all!

In fact I have gotten my Ipad on virtually every shield/shell I have bought, that includes the Belkin, The Speck, The Smart Feather, The Mareware MicroShell Folio, The MicroShell. the Mareware products were an extremely tough fit and the only ones that gave me any kind of problems.

So I would be very very surprised if they change the thickness of this thing.

Weird that I can't get it on. Any tips or tricks? Try as I might, I can only get three corners fitted, with the fourth being a long way off.

duk
Jun 4, 2011, 12:43 PM
Just realized while looking at iPad in bright light, the corners of this case are forming hairline cracks... No doubt those will grow over time, guess I'll get another exchange. I'm starting to accept the reality that although the form of this case is exactly what I'm looking for, it's not going to make it in the function dept. Bummer.

srl7741
Jun 4, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think the less coverage case was cut/made that way after seeing it was easier to open the smart cover without the edge from the full coverage there.

For those w/both versions which is easier to open the smart cover with?

3goldens
Jun 4, 2011, 12:54 PM
Weird that I can't get it on. Any tips or tricks? Try as I might, I can only get three corners fitted, with the fourth being a long way off.

Farthest corners by camera first, and then lower the back on, if it is that far apart truly go exchange it, that does not sound right.

Meanwhile, I did take the Incipio Smart Feather off I had on it just now to try this to see if there was anything worth noting to you with regard to fit and I did see one hairline in the light as duk just mentioned. Would never had thought to look in the little crevice of the plastic snap.

Will be reaching out to Belkin for a replacement.

I definitely don't have my best Buy receipt any more so this may not be very easy! Anyone have any problems with getting this done? I would think it is clearly a new product and clearly still under some kind of warranty, but we'll see

thanks duk for pointing this out.

duk
Jun 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
Meanwhile, I did take the Incipio Smart Feather off I had on it just now to try this to see if there was anything worth noting to you with regard to fit and I did see one hairline in the light as duk just mentioned. Would never had thought to look in the little crevice of the plastic snap.

Hmm, I wonder how many of these are affected with these cracks, and if getting them is inevitable under normal use, I only removed this case one time.
Maybe an exchange is futile.

J.C
Jun 4, 2011, 03:48 PM
Farthest corners by camera first, and then lower the back on, if it is that far apart truly go exchange it, that does not sound right.

Will be reaching out to Belkin for a replacement.

I definitely don't have my best Buy receipt any more so this may not be very easy! Anyone have any problems with getting this done? I would think it is clearly a new product and clearly still under some kind of warranty, but we'll see

thanks duk for pointing this out.

Thanks for doing that mate. I had another go at fitting it, using your method, but it's not going to happen. Strangely it only costs $19.95 in Australia. Apple accessories are invariably more expensive here than the US. This is the first time I've come across something cheaper. Maybe it's slightly different.

3goldens
Jun 4, 2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for doing that mate. I had another go at fitting it, using your method, but it's not going to happen. Strangely it only costs $19.95 in Australia. Apple accessories are invariably more expensive here than the US. This is the first time I've come across something cheaper. Maybe it's slightly different.

As you can see from this thread there was more than one version.

Does you skin protector stick to the Belkin when putting it on. I noticed the Wrapsol doing that so I have to make sure I kind of shove it in there and then snap the two outside clips on to the ipad.

3goldens
Jun 4, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hmm, I wonder how many of these are affected with these cracks, and if getting them is inevitable under normal use, I only removed this case one time.

I went to the belkin site, tried to put in a support ticket for this model and could not.

First there is no drop down for ipads, so I found it in mp3 players, whatever.....

It would not find the model number and just kept returning to call Belkin, so that's what I'll do on Monday, call Belkin.

Will report back.

J.C
Jun 4, 2011, 11:45 PM
As you can see from this thread there was more than one version.

Does you skin protector stick to the Belkin when putting it on. I noticed the Wrapsol doing that so I have to make sure I kind of shove it in there and then snap the two outside clips on to the ipad.

Yep the skin is quite tacky and sticks to the cover. But I've lubricated the corners with a bit of spit and it still doesn't go. It's actually quite a way off fitting. I'm not sure it'd fit without skin.

sotie
Jun 5, 2011, 12:13 AM
I've had one on my wife's since they first came out. It's been removed several times. Just checked and no cracks.

duk
Jun 5, 2011, 02:44 AM
I've had one on my wife's since they first came out. It's been removed several times. Just checked and no cracks.
is it the clear or smoke version?

dndandrea
Jun 5, 2011, 08:50 AM
Will this snap shield damage the edges if you keep taking it off and on? I have a snap shield from incase for my iPhone and every time I take it off the edges and side look all dirty and it doesn't even fit correctly like I feel it should.

If I buy this I'll probably have it on when I go outside or while I'm multitasking and setting it on a table or something continuously. Does it defeat the thinness of the iPad when your using this and the smart cover or is it pretty lightweight? Thanks

3goldens
Jun 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
Will this snap shield damage the edges if you keep taking it off and on? I have a snap shield from incase for my iPhone and every time I take it off the edges and side look all dirty and it doesn't even fit correctly like I feel it should.

If I buy this I'll probably have it on when I go outside or while I'm multitasking and setting it on a table or something continuously. Does it defeat the thinness of the iPad when your using this and the smart cover or is it pretty lightweight? Thanks

I think this really remains to be seen. I know I have taken mine on and off all the time, for the past say, month and month and a half and I just noticed the fissures yesterday.

If you have both a screen protector on and a skin protector, and I am not at all sure about this, but it very well may be the that the added thickness is slightly stretching those snap closures and creating the fissures.

The shell had to be designed to more or less the exact dimensions of the Ipad, and given the overall thinness of the shell this could be what where going to see over time.

Just a theory.

dndandrea
Jun 5, 2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I guess ill just have to live with the smart cover only for now unless something better pops up in the future for the back. I don't need protection for dropping damages, just protection for the back getting scratched when I set or move it on a table...

3goldens
Jun 5, 2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I guess ill just have to live with the smart cover only for now unless something better pops up in the future for the back. I don't need protection for dropping damages, just protection for the back getting scratched when I set or move it on a table...

The solution in the short run is to get a skin for the back right away. I have always found the Wrapsol, to be the best, especially since they have a guarantee for lifetime replacement.

I just ordered a replacement for my MacAir which was peeling at the edges, cost me $5.00 for shipping and they are sending me a new one, great company!

rmcmast
Jun 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
I have the snap on shield from The Joy Factory on my iPad 2. Does anyone know how much thinner the Belkin cover is?

I was looking at the Logitech Keyboard/Zagg case at Best Buy last week and one of them happened to have the package open. I asked one of the BB sales persons if I could see if my iPad 2 would fit face down into the case with my back cover still on. It didn't.

Has anyone tried the Belkin snap case with the Logitech Keyboard/Zagg case?

Thanks,

Rick

sotie
Jun 5, 2011, 08:00 PM
is it the clear or smoke version?

Clear.

3goldens
Jun 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
called and did the advance replacement. they must have just gotten a shipment because their site still says out of stock. hope I get the same one I have now!

duk
Jun 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
Went back to target, exchanged case with cracked corners for a new one (smoke). New one had the same sharp burrs the last one had. Burrs are fairly easy to remove with a nail file or whatever, just kinda obnoxious that Belkin doesn't add a step in the production to remove these. Perhaps the clear version is a better option, as my original didn't have burrs or cracks, FYI, clear is now 29.99 at best buy, not sure if this is a sale price.

yOyOYoo
Jun 7, 2011, 08:31 PM
I have been using this case as I wait for the switcheasy coverbuddy to arrive. Trust me, the coverbuddy feels MUCH better and seems like a much more detailed product. Also it's cheaper.

I am going to return the Belkin case now.

3goldens
Jun 8, 2011, 12:41 AM
I have been actually using my mareware microshell folio for a few days now, since I found the cracks and am really getting to like this thing!

bouda
Jun 8, 2011, 07:03 AM
I have been using this case as I wait for the switcheasy coverbuddy to arrive. Trust me, the coverbuddy feels MUCH better and seems like a much more detailed product. Also it's cheaper.

I am going to return the Belkin case now.

My only issue with the coverbuddy is how much space is left open where the hinge goes. If it was like the Belkin's with almost no space at all, it may be the perfect back shield.

xStatiCa
Jun 9, 2011, 06:44 AM
I just looked at mine and it has a big crack almost a half an inch long near where the smart cover attaches to the iPad in the corner. I am glad I still have the reciept. The look for a case is back on. I am looking at the tucano stuff now.

bouda
Jun 9, 2011, 10:17 AM
I have had no major issues with my clear one. To me the Belkin would be perfect if it had some sort of grid over the speaker. iLounge posted pictures of a smoke one from Belkin. Weird how much open area there is where the hinge attaches, and the earphone cutout is different shape the the ones I have seen...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/belkin-snap-shield-for-ipad-2/

duk
Jun 9, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have had no major issues with my clear one. To me the Belkin would be perfect if it had some sort of grid over the speaker. iLounge posted pictures of a smoke one from Belkin. Weird how much open area there is where the hinge attaches, and the earphone cutout is different shape the the ones I have seen...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/belkin-snap-shield-for-ipad-2/

The camera hole is bigger and the hole for the on/off button now has an edge, instead of being open at the front. I can't believe how many versions of this case there are, not very professional on belkin's part. I wonder if they ever settle up on a design, they'll replace all the previous ones with flaws. I bet they left more room at the hinge so the iPad doesn't fall forward while standing in landscape with smart cover. I noticed due to the thickness of the case it pushes it forward a bit.

bouda
Jun 9, 2011, 12:35 PM
The camera hole is bigger and the hole for the on/off button now has an edge, instead of being open at the front. I can't believe how many versions of this case there are, not very professional on belkin's part. I wonder if they ever settle up on a design, they'll replace all the previous ones with flaws. I bet they left more room at the hinge so the iPad doesn't fall forward while standing in landscape with smart cover. I noticed due to the thickness of the case it pushes it forward a bit.

If this is the case, the switch easy may be the best one. I love how little Belkin leaves open next to the hinge.

HazyCloud
Jun 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
For what it's worth, Belkin now offers this in an "Apple Pink" color. It also looks like the less coverage version.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=546003#

rkdiddy
Jun 14, 2011, 05:34 PM

I noticed these last night. I have one of the first batches that was available at BB. All four corners are beginning to crack. I've had the case off once to clean it.

I will take some photos tonight.

rkdiddy
Jun 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
As promised - here are the photos. I love the case, but I'm very disappointed on the quality. My iPad has been babied and has been out of the house maybe 5 times.

duk
Jun 15, 2011, 12:39 AM
As promised - here are the photos. I love the case, but I'm very disappointed on the quality. My iPad has been babied and has been out of the house maybe 5 times.

Yikes! and to think, they were charging $40 for this cheap piece of plastic that cracks under normal use. Belkin is a big name in the case business, hopefully they'll get this straightened out. Glad I bought mine at Target, gives me plenty of time to return it when something better comes along.

3goldens
Jun 15, 2011, 01:27 AM
Got my new one today. It has a clear belkin logo instead of the white painted on version.

Everything else pretty much matches up, full coverage all the way around. See if this one develops any cracks.

daftpunk329
Jun 15, 2011, 02:03 AM
Got my new one today. It has a clear belkin logo instead of the white painted on version.

Everything else pretty much matches up, full coverage all the way around. See if this one develops any cracks.

Where'd you get the version with the clear logo?

Night Spring
Jun 15, 2011, 05:50 AM
I had the smoke cover, which developed a crack in a corner near where the smart cover attaches. Called Belkin and did an exchange. The new one they sent has a bigger cut out for the smart cover, and a straight edge where the volume and mute button/switch is. Overall, the edges feel smoother on the new one, and doesn't dig into and hurt my palm the way the old one did sometimes. The fact that the volume button is now in this sunken hole in the plastic makes it a little harder to press, but I like having the straight edge, so for me, it's an ok trade-off. Not sure yet about the bigger opening for the smart cover, haven't had a chance to really use it propped up yet.