PDA

View Full Version : Two Dead Hard Drives, PowerMac G5 Need Help

way2l84sanity
Apr 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
I have a Power Mac G5 2.7dual core with 8GB of RAM. Running OS 10.5, Both the internal hard drives are dead, and I do not have a backup copy of the OS drive. I have a couple questions if anybody could help that would be greatly appreciated.

1. I believe the original hard drive was SATA I, is this correct?

2. This is the hard drive I'm thinking as a replacement(Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073)) is this backwards compatible?
Any other hard drive recommendations are welcomed. I want to keep the capacity between 250-500BG. I am actually going to purchase two and use Time Machine.

3. The Hard drive I'm thinking of purchasing has 16 MB cache, I believe the original hard drive had a 8MB cache will more cache to make a difference in speed or not?

4. Any software suggestions to be able to recover my hard drive and get it back up of it. I did hook it up target disk mode and disk utilities for my MacBook cannot see it? I have Techtool Deluxe

5. What is the best way to recover my hard drive, ie install anew hard drive and work with software all on the G5, or put the G5 in target disk mode and work that way?

Thanks for any advice.

Hrududu
Apr 27, 2011, 10:34 AM
You can use SATA3 and 6 drives in a SATA 1.5 computer like your G5 without a problem. Assuming your old drives still spin up, try Stellar Phoenix or Data Rescue 3 to try and get the information back.

way2l84sanity
Apr 27, 2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you, for taking the time to respond.
I really appreciate that help.