Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morena20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Hi

I have a Nikon D3100 with a lense 55-200 AF-S Nikkor. I spoke to somebody who recomended me to buy a Sigma lense x2, which can double the lense zooming capacity by two.

I would really appriciated if anybody could advice me on this option. (i.e.: Is it possible? , Will I be able to use the Auto-focus function? Will it effect the lense sensetivity to light? etc.)

Morena

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
A 2x Teleconverter with only one exception will (a) generally suck in terms of image quality and (b) be generally useless on a lens that doesn't have an aperture of f/2.8 or wider. Your lens is f/5.6 at the long end, so that's a non-starter.

The one exception is the newest Nikon TC-20E-III, which has the best image quality of any 2x TC ever made by a large margin. It still wouldn't help with the light loss though. You lose two stops of light with a 2x TC- that would put your lens at f/11- no autofocus there for sure.

The Sigma 50-500mm lens is about the cheapest way to get more distance in a zoom, but it's also going to need a lot of light when zoomed all the way.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.