PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Panel in Panther Control Panel

nrd
Mar 8, 2005, 04:18 PM
I just got a new iBook 12" in this morning. My fiancee is getting my old one, which isn't that old - I got it mid-December 2004. I noticed a significant change; this one has a "hardware" panel.

http://www.newrisedesigns.com/hardwarepanel.png

The older iBook has a G4 marked as "PowerPC G4 (1.1)" in the System Profiler and this one has it listed as "PowerPC G4 (1.2)". Other than that, the rest of the System Profiler says that these two machines are identical, save the new one's larger hard drive (BTO).

Has anyone else seen this? Did I luck out and get a new and improved chip? What's the deal with "1.2"? I googled for this information and a few sites in Korean or Chinese came up, but that was that.

Also, when you check "Show control in menu bar", a little chip silouhette shows up with a "2" in superscript, has if it's at a power of 2.

Hemingray
Mar 8, 2005, 04:29 PM
Ummmm... WTF? :eek: My 12" iBook doesn't have that! Wonder why the L2 cache has a drop-down menu, is there any other option??

P.S. I got mine in mid-December too.

nrd
Mar 8, 2005, 04:33 PM
Ummmm... WTF? :eek: My 12" iBook doesn't have that! Wonder why the L2 cache has a drop-down menu, is there any other option??
The other option is 'none', so I guess you can turn off your L2 cache. I don't know why you'd want to, though.

I didn't think much of this until I checked the box and saw the chip "squared" icon and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if this was a dual core chip?"

I highly doubt that's the case, but I would like to know the difference between G4 1.1 and G4 1.2. If anyone has some info, please let me know.

markoibook
Mar 8, 2005, 04:57 PM
Check out this thread - it should help:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=74988

Looks like you have the CHUD tools installed - I had a google search as I was wondering where that Hardware Pane could have come from!

keysersoze
Mar 8, 2005, 04:57 PM
Nevermind.

nrd
Mar 8, 2005, 05:01 PM
Looks like you have the CHUD tools installed - I had a google search as I was wondering where that Hardware Pane could have come from!

I did install the Xcode BSD subsystem. I might have checked CHUD. The date of the panel in the System directory is today, so that's likely where the panel came from. Thanks!

Here's a screenshot of the pulldown menu.
http://www.newrisedesigns.com/hardwarepulldown.png

Now just to find out what's significant about 7447A v1.2.

stevep
Mar 8, 2005, 05:02 PM
edited out the garbage......

nrd
Mar 8, 2005, 05:10 PM
I bought my iBook in Nov2004, and I'm running 10.3.7. I've never even noticed the 1.2 to describe the cpu before.

I bought my fiancee's iBook at an Apple Store in New Jersey in mid-December, and it's 1.1. I thought there might have been some new year revision, but that's not the case.

The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 will likely be nothing earthshattering, but I'd still like to know the difference.

Also, is your iBook a 12" or a 14"? Mine are both 12"s.