PDA

View Full Version : About to pull trigger on PB 15" BTO . . . advice?

nickoner
Mar 8, 2005, 05:11 PM
Fellow Members,

I have lurked for quite some time on the macrumors site, but finally registred and decided to post.

I have done quite a bit of research on which laptop is best for me, and the 15" PB seems to be the best option. Tomorrow morning i plan on ordering the following computer:

PB 15 Superdrive
100 GB HD upgrade
128mb Video upgrade
AppleCare

1GB stick of ram from Crucial.com

Before i order, i figure i would post 24hrs before and get some last minute advice. Are my BTO options wise? Am i forgetting something?

Any input is welcome . . . . thanks in advance.

Nick

scarlets knees
Mar 8, 2005, 05:24 PM
I've just gone for a 12" with SD and been hanging round the forums for ages trying to decide so I know how you feel.

If it's any use, one thing you've listed that I took advice on was Applecare. Consensus seems it's good but you can hold off to get it until the end of the first year of inclusive cover as you can get it at any time in the first year and when your finances are back up after buying the kit itself.

Daveway
Mar 8, 2005, 05:37 PM
If thats what you want, power to you. I don't know what specific needs are, but it sounds like a great setup. I do warn that BTO packages are not exactly "returnable" if there is a problem. There is a huge restocking fee of 15% I think.
Odds are, you won't be returning it. The Powerbooks are awesome machines.

WildCowboy
Mar 8, 2005, 05:54 PM
This is exactly the setup I have...ordered on the day of release and have been using it for a month now. Got my 1 gig stick from OWC.

You don't say what your needs are, but the system works great for me. I'm a life scientist and use it mainly for the basics, but I do also use Photoshop and some more demanding X11 applications related to molecular visualization. I haven't had the need to really put it through its paces on the tougher stuff yet, but I'm very happy with what I've seen so far. (I'm coming from a 500 MHz iBook, so anything would be an improvement.)

No regrets here...it's a great machine that will last you a long time.

CaptainCaveMann
Mar 8, 2005, 05:57 PM
Sticky keyboard, creaaaky hinges, and man that thing gets hot right at the bottom of the display. I like powerbooks but be aware. :D

Southbridge
Mar 8, 2005, 07:17 PM
dont do it!

Demon Hunter
Mar 8, 2005, 07:53 PM
Sticky keyboard, creaaaky hinges, and man that thing gets hot right at the bottom of the display. I like powerbooks but be aware. :D

I second this... look over everything with incredible detail. If something is wrong you want to know sooner, not later!

And grab a nice case. :)