PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose? Powermac G5/iMac G4?

Gr80Likes2Boogi
Apr 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hey all,

So I'm getting a second computer for my theatre, only for playback purposes (using Qlab and sound files) and I'm having a bit of a conundrum!

On Craigslist, I can find some local 17" iMac G4's for $150 (800mhz, 512mb RAM, airport card, mouse and keyboard, running 10.4 Tiger) or on Macofalltrades.com, there's a Powermac G5 1.8GHz, 2.0gb RAM running 10.5 Leopard, with mouse, keyboard and older 20" Apple Cinema Display for $350.

I'm debating because I don't need TOO much for this second computer, as its purpose is relatively narrow. I just can't figure out if I should get the bigger, better computer for more monies or just save my cash.

It should be noted that the CL iMac has a few install CDs, none are included for the Powermac.

My first Mac is my current laptop, a 15" uMBP, so I don't have any experience with PPC Macs... What would you do? Thanks!

CubeHacker
Apr 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
They both sound way too expensive for the specs involved. You should be able to find a DP 2.0ghz Powermac G5 for around $200-250 these days. An iMac G4 should not sell for over $100 imo, unless its the rare 20" model.

If you are short on cash but still want some power, look towards the higher end Powermac G4's. A DP 1.25 or 1.4ghz powermac will outperform the SP Powermac G5, and can usually be had for about $150.

DrakkenWar
Apr 28, 2011, 12:04 AM
They both sound way too expensive for the specs involved. You should be able to find a DP 2.0ghz Powermac G5 for around $200-250 these days. An iMac G4 should not sell for over $100 imo, unless its the rare 20" model.

If you are short on cash but still want some power, look towards the higher end Powermac G4's. A DP 1.25 or 1.4ghz powermac will outperform the SP Powermac G5, and can usually be had for about $150.

Like the title says. It really REALLY depends on where you live for mac prices. I was shocked that prices where cheaper in Alaska before I moved here to california.
There were ton of great deals on Criag's List up there for gear, but down here close to Cupertino? Holy hell, you would think mac users are offering up their first born for a 1st gen 17' iMac G4.
I had to turn to Mac of all trades for a better deal. ( I do not work for them or are in anyway affiliated with them. But in my price range a few months back this single 1.8, now with a dual OWC from eBay was the best monetary solution to upgrade from my DA dual 533.

~Just my 2 cents on the matter, stay frosty
Drake

Hastings101
Apr 30, 2011, 03:20 AM
Honestly you'd be better off buying an intel mac mini, even the oldest intel one you could find would be better than the Powermac.

If you don't want to do that though, choose the Powermac. These things last forever so you won't need to replace the computer for a long time.

chrismacguy
Apr 30, 2011, 04:20 AM
Honestly you'd be better off buying an intel mac mini, even the oldest intel one you could find would be better than the Powermac.

If you don't want to do that though, choose the Powermac. These things last forever so you won't need to replace the computer for a long time.

Only if it was an Intel Core 2 Duo based Mac Mini, since it looks like the Intel Core Duo Minis are being left behind with Lion, and they only just about equal most G5s anyway. Personally Id go with either a Core 2 Duo Mini, or a PowerMac G5 Air-Cooled <2.5Ghz I believe... since IIRC the 2.3s pretended to be but werent liquid cooled. Dual PowerPC G5s at 2.0/2.3 Ghz will still have some number crunching power for a while yet.

Gr80Likes2Boogi
Apr 30, 2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks, guys!

I love the look of the iMac G4, but that's purely aesthetic. It WOULD work for my application, though (just Qlab > Mbox2 > mackie whatever board they have me use that show)

Fortunately, when I sounded the horn on ye olde facebook, a friend offered his G5 tower for free. All I need to do is supply a monitor, and I can definitely Amazon me a cheap flat panel. Probably the best possible scenario! But now of course I just want a G4 to put up iTunes visualizer and never turn it off =)

EDIT: Talked the the guy who is selling the G4 iMac, and we worked out a deal that ends with me getting the iMac- FOR FREE! I work at Disneyland, so I have a pretty hefty bargaining chip... So now my dilemma is solved. 2 computers, no money out of pocket. Interesting how some things work themselves out!

max••
May 1, 2011, 08:15 PM
Wow! you got yourself good deal there :-)

reminds me of when my dad brought me my iMac g4 home from work :-)