Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericstjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Hi. I'm wondering if mixing and matching even Apple production apps affects their compatibility? Moving "up" to a Mac has been a bubble-buster since I discovered the dark side of legacy software and machines in an "upgraded to Intel" world.:mad:
I have a "Late '05" 2.3 dual core PPC 10.5.8 Leopard that came loaded from eBay with all the bells and whistles, assembled, apparently, from a grab bag and I have no disks for the uninstalling and reinstalling tricks.
FCP is version 5.0.4, Compressor is 2.0.1, Logic Studio is 8.0.1, iDVD is 7.0.4 and DVD Studio is 3.0.2. (Do all these fit together? Looks like a production suite made from the parts box. LOL!)
I have Toast 10 Titanium too.
The reason I mention that is, I'm having not only exporting problems with Compressor, quality problems exporting in Quicktime Conversion to AVI, but also burning issues with DVDs that won't play in the living room deck.
Compressor 2 gives me the now-famous Cannot Submit Batch message. I've tried all sorts of fixes -yes, even the Compressor Repair that's made for Compressor 3 and above. Again the legacy thing. After googling for more tricks, I have discovered Compressor 2's "preference file" is missing from Home>Library>Preferences. Hmmm. Maybe a new Compressor is in order? Which version should I install since I have all this mixed bag of wares?
So, Toast won't play, iDVD won't play, Compressor won't compress and AVI from Quicktime Conversion looks like crap. (I understand Toast 9 has good reports but since they "improved" it, I have no use for it. Again, the legacy.)
iDVD let me assemble and burn a DVD but it doesn't play properly. I made an .iso in there and burned it with Disk Utility. The deck plays the menu but I won't know anything else until I find the flippin' remote! That's something to remember though: burning in Disk Utility. That and finding the remote.
I can't even use DVD Studio until I figure out how to import and burn iDVD projects because of the issues between FCP and Compressor. So we're back to square one. FCP>Compressor won't work and it messes me up with FCP>DVDSP. Too bad. I like the Apple production apps but I'm about ready to jam CS4...

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm wondering if mixing and matching even Apple production apps affects their compatibility? Moving "up" to a Mac has been a bubble-buster since I discovered the dark side of legacy software and machines in an "upgraded to Intel" world.:mad:
I have a "Late '05" 2.3 dual core PPC 10.5.8 Leopard that came loaded from eBay with all the bells and whistles, assembled, apparently, from a grab bag and I have no disks for the uninstalling and reinstalling tricks.
FCP is version 5.0.4, Compressor is 2.0.1, Logic Studio is 8.0.1, iDVD is 7.0.4 and DVD Studio is 3.0.2. (Do all these fit together? Looks like a production suite made from the parts box. LOL!)
I have Toast 10 Titanium too.
The reason I mention that is, I'm having not only exporting problems with Compressor, quality problems exporting in Quicktime Conversion to AVI, but also burning issues with DVDs that won't play in the living room deck.
Compressor 2 gives me the now-famous Cannot Submit Batch message. I've tried all sorts of fixes -yes, even the Compressor Repair that's made for Compressor 3 and above. Again the legacy thing. After googling for more tricks, I have discovered Compressor 2's "preference file" is missing from Home>Library>Preferences. Hmmm. Maybe a new Compressor is in order? Which version should I install since I have all this mixed bag of wares?
So, Toast won't play, iDVD won't play, Compressor won't compress and AVI from Quicktime Conversion looks like crap. (I understand Toast 9 has good reports but since they "improved" it, I have no use for it. Again, the legacy.)
iDVD let me assemble and burn a DVD but it doesn't play properly. I made an .iso in there and burned it with Disk Utility. The deck plays the menu but I won't know anything else until I find the flippin' remote! That's something to remember though: burning in Disk Utility. That and finding the remote.
I can't even use DVD Studio until I figure out how to import and burn iDVD projects because of the issues between FCP and Compressor. So we're back to square one. FCP>Compressor won't work and it messes me up with FCP>DVDSP. Too bad. I like the Apple production apps but I'm about ready to jam CS4...

Right, well FCP 5 and Compressor 2 were shipped together AFAIK (My copy of STP 1, which was part of the same suite and shipped at the same time came with Compressor 2). iDVD and DVD Studio Pro are different products - again DVD Studio Pro 3 shipped with FCP 5 and Compressor 2 (DVD SP4 ships with FCP6/7 and Compressor 3/3.5) - Logic Studio should have no impact except instead of Soundtrack Pro 1, you should have Soundtrack Pro 2, which should still work "fine" - and iDVD 7.0.4 implies you have iLife installed, which shouldnt impact the pro Apps at all :) If you want to reinstall Compressor, you need Compressor 2 (I dont think Compressor comes with Logic Studio, but since Ive had both for so long Im not entirely sure), but the wares you have do all fit together (Final Cut Studio 1/Production Box, Logic Studio 8 and iLife).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.