Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Quick Question. I was wondering if anyone know what language is used to write generators for Final Cut Pro. The program uses normal plug ins like blur, levels and so on. But it also has an area where you can select Generators to add text, gradients, solid colors. Would it be a scripting language or objective-C?

I edit with FCP all the time and I would like to make a Slate Generator for myself. I doubt I can do it in Pascal :)

Thanks

-Lars

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Quick Question. I was wondering if anyone know what language is used to write generators for Final Cut Pro. The program uses normal plug ins like blur, levels and so on. But it also has an area where you can select Generators to add text, gradients, solid colors. Would it be a scripting language or objective-C?

I edit with FCP all the time and I would like to make a Slate Generator for myself. I doubt I can do it in Pascal :)

Thanks

-Lars

Take what I say with a grain of salt but it may give you a place to start until someone with more knowledge arrives, but I thought generators were generally created with Quartz composer.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks chrono1081, looks like you are right. I have never even heard if Quartz but once I typed it in with Final Cut Pro I got all kinds of hits. Looks like it might be easier then I though to create a generator.

I will look through some tutorials tomorrow on the Web.

-Lars

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Qc

QC is amazing. I've used it for a few years with software called VDMX to do live audio-reactive visuals. It's included in the dev tools with XCode - http://developer.apple.com

Enjoy!

Also check out kineme.net for an active QC community :)

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Very Cool! I was playing with it a little last night and it seems quite intuitive. Just after a few minutes I was able to import an image. I thought it would have also been easy to ad a text field that I could write something in but could not find anything in the library even under the strings.

Lots to learn.

-Lars

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.