Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
How do they measure these claims. I don't see anyone lining up to buy a Kinect. :confused:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
How do they measure these claims. I don't see anyone lining up to buy a Kinect. :confused:
On launch day for the Kinect there was a line at the local WalMart.

My wife and I got one for our kids. They played it a few times but haven't used it since.

It just sits around like the Wii now.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
So it's measured by launch day sales?

One would think that by total sales iPad would outsell kinect

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland

I think there must have been far more Kinect units for sale at launch than the iPad.

To get to 10 million sales, you need 10 million units available to sell.

Certainly the iPad 2 would have sold many, many more units on launch day and since IF there was stock to buy.

ADDED: I think the Kinect "Fastest Selling Consumer Device" record is for the first 60 days of sales (updated!)

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

Microsoft's Kinect sold 10 Million units in just 60 days, and in comparison to the iPad, Apple claimed that the first iPad sold only 2 million units in its first 60 days of launching.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Thats a rather silly comparison. I realize it's supposed to be an Apple v.s. MS deal but really... you may as well try and compare Gumball & Yoyo sales.... Both products made money and neither of them compete with one another really. I'm sure there are plenty of "Kinnect & iPad owners" out there.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Kinect starts at $150. iPad starts at $500.

I own both. They're both good devices. Microsoft finally figured out how to do something well with the Xbox. I haven't used a PS3, but the Xbox 360 has evolved into quite a nice console. It's annoying that you need Windows crap to use a lot of features, but it's nothing I can't live without.

Also, people standing outside in a long line buying something doesn't make it successful. I ordered my iPhone 4 online like a smart person and got it in the mail on launch day with no line needed. I was second in line to buy my iPad 2 after arriving at Target a whole 20 minutes before it went on sale.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Kinect is amazing not surprised it beat the Ipad because it was new, miles better than the Wii so everybody wanted it.

Ipad is a luxury device and right now Iphone's lead the sales do they not?

Ipad 2 is a new kettle of fish and chances are sales will beat most other devices now.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I know that people here are not too fond of Microsoft. But come on, look at the Kinect. It is amazing.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Kinect is amazing not surprised it beat the Ipad because it was new, miles better than the Wii so everybody wanted it.

Ipad is a luxury device and right now Iphone's lead the sales do they not?

Ipad 2 is a new kettle of fish and chances are sales will beat most other devices now.

Isn't the Kinect a luxury device as well?

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
I have nothing against the kinnect of course, but it is rather comparing apples and oranges. The products are for entirely different things. Of course a $150 gaming device for a popular console is going to sell a lot compared to a $500 tablet.

Harker

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
I think there must have been far more Kinect units for sale at launch than the iPad.

To get to 10 million sales, you need 10 million units available to sell.

This is the real issue I think.. Apple said they are selling iPads as fast as they can make them. Clearly Microsoft were able to produce larger quantities of Kinects than Apple can iPads

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
This is one of the dumbest comparisons I have seen. These aren't even competing devices in any way or form whatsoever.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
Thats a rather silly comparison. I realize it's supposed to be an Apple v.s. MS deal but really... you may as well try and compare Gumball & Yoyo sales.... Both products made money and neither of them compete with one another really. I'm sure there are plenty of "Kinnect & iPad owners" out there.

This is one of the dumbest comparisons I have seen. These aren't even competing devices in any way or form whatsoever.

Agreed. This comparison = wasted thread.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Learn how to create rather than consume all the Time and I bet you would of thought twice about making this thread. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.