Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcinfoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I have an iPad 1st generation running OS 4.3.2 (Jailbroken). It is running perfectly, except that I have a bunch of blank icons on my home screen (see the attached images). I can delete them, but every time I install a new app from the apple store, they come back.

Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0024[1].jpg
    IMG_0024[1].jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0025[1].jpg
    IMG_0025[1].jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 97

pcinfoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
OK, I just reset it and put all my apps back on, only this time it is NOT jailbroken. It is doing the same thing.

You can't just assume that jailbreaking is the cause.

Has anybody ever seen this problem before?

pcinfoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Thank you for the totally useless comment. If you had bothered reading my post, you might have noticed that I said that I was having the same problem when the device was NOT jailbroken. However, one cannot expect people like you to be able to read.

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Thank you for the totally useless comment. If you had bothered reading my post, you might have noticed that I said that I was having the same problem when the device was NOT jailbroken. However, one cannot expect people like you to be able to read.

Why would you jailbreak if you're having problems such as this? It will only make it worse. Also, your post does not state that you had this problem before jail breaking. Unless it is on another thread...

pcinfoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Why would you jailbreak if you're having problems such as this? It will only make it worse.
I jailbroke it because now I can add cydia apps that bypass some shortcomings of the native iPad (password protecting specific apps, mail enhancements, widgets, etc)
Also, your post does not state that you had this problem before jail breaking. Unless it is on another thread...
In my second post on this thread, I stated that I just reset the iPad and still have the same problem.

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
I jailbroke it because now I can add cydia apps that bypass some shortcomings of the native iPad (password protecting specific apps, mail enhancements, widgets, etc)

In my second post on this thread, I stated that I just reset the iPad and still have the same problem.

Just go to an Apple retail store, they'll fix it for you. Worst case scenario you'll get a replacement but since you jail broke the device, it may void the warranty without the exception of this issue. You don't seem to be clear enough of your problem.

Did you have this issue of the apps icon disappearing before you jail broke it? If you did, why didn't you go to Apple to look at it for you?

Or... Did this happen after jail breaking and the problem still persists even after factory reset?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

did you restore from backup? settings still get transfered.

i had a 1st gen iPhone that i jail broke, and enabled the emoji keyboard. It's still enabled on my current phone, even though i un-jailbroke the 1st gen, eventually changed to a 3G (used it both jailbroken and not) and changed to a 4 (currently un-jailbroken).

so yes, even though you restored to the stock OS, it can still be affected by having been jailbroken in the past.

you'll probably have to do a clean install, and start all your settings over from scratch.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
I would try a factory reset before returning.
I assume when you said you`d reset it you simply meant shutting it down and rebooting it.
Traces of your JB may remain and you NEED to rule that out TOTALLY before looking at a hardware fault imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.