Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Great for PPC Macs!

While I have a newer laptop running all the latest and greatest, at home I'm using a old G5 PPC tower running Leopard 10.5 as my desktop computer. I prefer Firefox over Safari, but I was noticing some clitchy things happening with Firefox 3, the last PPC compatible Firefox browser and my favorite addons. One in particular, Xmarks that stores and synchs bookmarks on an online server between your Macs. With Firefox 3, Xmarks would sometimes work, but then sometimes it would grasp Firefox in it's palm not allowing any browsing to happen while it chugged through a never ending attempt at synching bookmarks. Gaa!

I don't know how I stumbled onto TenFourFox, a PPC compatible browser that duplicates Firefox, but I did. This is Firefox in an updated, PPC compatible format that automatically mirrors your last "real" Firefox install asking you if you want to load up all your original Firefox addons and even remembering all the browser pages you last had open! It is so real Firefox if you try to launch it while Firefox 3 is running, it will tell you that only one version of Firefox can be running at a time. Incredible, and not only that but Xmarks works once again!

Now if you are not into addons, maybe just stick with Safari and be done with it, but I have favorites I did not want to give up such as: Xmarks, NoScript, Web of Trust, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy, Download Helper, and Netcraft Antiphishing toolbar.

Highly recommended for PPC users.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not bad, yet I still prefer Opera for my PPC laptops & Chrome for my new machines.

Do you know if the addons I mentioned are compatible with Opera? As a rule are addons made for Firefox cross compatible with Opera or Chrome? The one addon I did not want to give up was Xmarks which I use to sych bookmarks between my G5 and my laptop running 10.6. Thanks!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do you know if the addons I mentioned are compatible with Opera? As a rule are addons made for Firefox cross compatible with Opera or Chrome? The one addon I did not want to give up was Xmarks which I use to sych bookmarks between my G5 and my laptop running 10.6. Thanks!

Ok, I just went to YouTube and discovered that TenFourFox does not support Java... man. :(

Can anyone tell me if Opera supports Firefox Addons? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.