PDA

View Full Version : Powersupply PM 2.7 DP vs 2.5 Quad

Floris7
Apr 28, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hi everybody,

Some time ago, my Powermac Dual G5 2.7Ghz started to have some problems. It seems like there is a problem with one of the processors.

Now i have the posibility to buy a powermac G5 2.5 DP quad core with a broken powersupply.

Is the powersupply of my broken G5 2.7 the same as in the the 2.5 quad core? Is it possible to build over?

Hope you guys understand my question, english isn't to good :)

Kind regards,
en thx in advance,
Floris

Rodus
Apr 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't, the quad G5's have major liquid coolant problems that can destroy the machine, if you have to stick with powerpc then get another air cooled dual G5 but an early core 2 duo Intel Mac would be infinitely more future proof.

Floris7
Apr 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't, the quad G5's have major liquid coolant problems that can destroy the machine, if you have to stick with powerpc then get another air cooled dual G5 but an early core 2 duo Intel Mac would be infinitely more future proof.

You are definitely right, an intel would be much better; maybe i have to look out for a solution in that way.

but, still hope someone can answer my question...

666sheep
Apr 28, 2011, 05:02 PM
You can't swap PSUs between these two G5.

Dual Cores have different PSU than Dual Processor ones (connectors, pinouts etc).

Dual core (PCIe):

http://www.macpalace.com/ProdImages/big/661-3737.jpg

Dual Processor (and single CPU AGP):

http://www.macpalace.com/ProdImages/big/661-2904.jpg

zen.state
Apr 28, 2011, 05:09 PM
Both those remind me a lot of the MDD PSU.

666sheep
Apr 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
They're much bigger than MDD ones :)

desantii
Apr 29, 2011, 01:07 PM

Actually both machines 2.7 and Quad G5 are liquid cooled