Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

230823-samsung_300.jpg

Foss Patents and Bloomberg report that Samsung has broadened its patent lawsuit against Apple to include the U.S.
In the U.S. complaint, Samsung accuses Apple of violating patents that "relate to fundamental innovations that increase mobile device reliability, efficiency, and quality, and improve user interface in mobile handsets and other products."
The 10 patents that Samsung is alleging that Apple has infringed upon are detailed on the Foss Patents blog. Seven of the patents are related to communications standards and the others with user interface.

The Samsung counter-suit is in response to Apple's original lawsuit against Samsung over the Galaxy line of smartphones and tablets. Apple has accused Samsung of "blatant copying" of the iPhone.

Article Link: Samsung Brings Patent Lawsuit Against Apple to U.S.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
3-5 years in the future, before either side's claims get to trial, FT, IBJ, and WSJ will be reporting on an out-of-court settlement with undisclosed terms.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Ouch, post deleted. It was only a joke :(

But really, I'm embarrased for Apple & Samsung for these pathetic lawsuits they keep bringing against each other. Money, money, money!

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Apple should really diversify their suppliers anyway, which is what they look like they are doing. Cut Samsung supply by 50%, and threaten all of it if they don't get their act together. Surely Samsung doesn't think that that they can bring in this kind of revenue on their own merit. Outside of LCD televisions, Samsung has an image problem, and even that has only improved in the last few years.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
ROFLMAO. Next subject please.

Steve, get out of Korea. Expand, China, Taiwan, Japan, Brazil. Maybe the US when we are willing to work for $10 a day. :apple:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Apple should really diversify their suppliers anyway, which is what they look like they are doing. Cut Samsung supply by 50%, and threaten all of it if they don't get their act together. Surely Samsung doesn't think that that they can bring in this kind of revenue on their own merit. Outside of LCD televisions, Samsung has an image problem, and even that has only improved in the last few years.

Samsung makes good cellphones. All the cellphones I've owned in my life have been Samsung ones :D

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Bulls Eye. :apple:

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
So Samsung believed Apple was violating it's patents all this time but decided to do nothing about it. Now that they have been pushed they decide to act. Sounds to me they are trying to find whatever they can to bite back at Apple.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
World War Sue.

I would love to see the crazy, interactive map of electronics lawsuits. There was a similar map posted here last year, and it was mind blowing. Everyone wants a leg-up. It's like a legal orgy.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Samsung to sue Apple over the iPhone.....ha ha ha....Yeah because the Galaxy phones are so original?? WTF You dont have to be a brain surgeon to see the blatant copy Samsung has done of the iPhone.
Apple = Innovation
Samsung = Copyware

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But really, I'm embarrased for Apple & Samsung for these pathetic lawsuits they keep bringing against each other. Money, money, money!

Why? The law requires an rights owner to defend its IP or risk losing it. These suits are just business, no hard feelings, as seen by Apple's monster-sized component contract w/ Samsung. Any yes, business is about making money.

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
This bit made me laugh so much, my sides hurt:

and improve user interface in mobile handsets and other products

improve UI? other products? got to be joking.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah not going to hurt samgsung on bit.

Apple needs Samsung more than Samsung needs Apple.
Reason being is the parts Samsung is supply there is already a shortage of them on the market. Apple drops them all Samsung does is go to the next guy and more than likely for more money.

Apple on the other hand will struggle to find a new supplier.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
One of the patents:
Mobile telephone capable of displaying world time and method for controlling the same

An apparatus and method for calculating and displaying local time for a plurality of cities in the world. The apparatus includes a memory for storing Greenwich mean time (GMT) information for each of the plurality of cities. The apparatus sets a reference time and counts the time that elapses from when the reference time is set. The apparatus calculates a local time of a city selected by a user, which is based on a difference between the GMT of the selected city and the GMT of a present location of the apparatus, the reference time and the counted elapsed time. The reference time may be either a time set by the user or a system time acquired from a signal generated from a remote system.​
How can companies get patents for such trivial algorithms???

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So Samsung believed Apple was violating it's patents all this time but decided to do nothing about it. Now that they have been pushed they decide to act. Sounds to me they are trying to find whatever they can to bite back at Apple.

it is more company like Samgsung have huge patent porfolios that they never really use unless they get sued and that is when they go looking threw it and saw Hmm "Apple is suing me what can I nail them on" Apple is currently starting to piss people off so they are going to start going threw their patents and hitting back.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Exactly. Apple should change supplier to TSMC or another company.

Looks like Apple picked on the wrong company. Give em' a bloody nose Sammy.

If you hate Apple so much, why are you here?

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
Really? Samsung is HORRIBLE in smart phone business. If you want to talk about fragmentation issues with android... it took them months long then anyone else to get the froyo update out...

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Patents only mean something if they're completely defended from copycats. I believe both companies are 100% correct in bringing legal action if they believe their patents have been violated without fair compensation.

As an AAPL shareholder, I am glad Apple is challenging all over with their patent portfolio, as it provides more intangible value to the company, its future products, and of course the stock values.

I hope Apple wins in all battles, and we should be behind them for seeking damages not ridicule them as I see on these forums so often.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Chupa Chupa said:

Why? The law requires an rights owner to defend its IP or risk losing it. These suits are just business, no hard feelings, as seen by Apple's monster-sized component contract w/ Samsung. Any yes, business is about making money.

Not just money, but power as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.