Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, I'm a new Mac user and have never used Safari as my main browser, however, I'm starting to like it and hate at the same time. This is where I start to ask my questions.

1.) Is it possible to search Google from the address bar in Safari like how it is in Chrome? If so, how?

2.) Is it possible to remove the Google search search bar on the top right of Safari? If so, how?

3.) What are Keychains?

4.) Is it possible to make the tabs in safari have a bigger "x" so that they're easier to close? If so, how?

5.) Is it possible to move the new tab button right next to the last currently open tab? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

I love Safari, but the one thing I REALLY hate is no searching from the address bar. Coming from Chrome, I finally realize how much I use it and I cannot switch from Chrome to Safari if this isn't possible.

Thanks in advance! :)

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
1.) Is it possible to search Google from the address bar in Safari like how it is in Chrome? If so, how?

I don't think so. The google search is right next to the address bar. I personally like this better since it retains the last search entry even if you go to a different address.

2.) Is it possible to remove the Google search search bar on the top right of Safari? If so, how?

Yes, goto menu View -> Customize toolbar and make things the way you want.

3.) What are Keychains?

Keychains are a Mac OS X native mechanism for storing passwords. Goto /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access to view and modify your stored passwords.

4.) Is it possible to make the tabs in safari have a bigger "x" so that they're easier to close? If so, how?

Not that I know of.

5.) Is it possible to move the new tab button right next to the last currently open tab? If so, how?

You can click on a tab title and drag and move it anywhere in the tab bar. Is that what you are asking?

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I didn't even realize there was a new tab button until I read this post. Anything but command t sounds annoying to use.

Sheet

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
Kiel, Germany
I have installed Glims, which gives safari a lot of customization and new features. At least for searching google (or anything else) in the adress bar Glims will help you.

1.) You can define keyword searching so you can type "g <what to search>" in the address bar and google will pop up, searching for that phrase. Also I have defined keywords for wikipedia, IMDB, Amazon, etc. For me this is really speeding up time!

3.) Keychains

4.) What about Command + W ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.