Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
Hi, guys. I bought Portal 2 on a retail DVD from Amazon. It arrived today. The box says "WIN MAC DVD-ROM" on it. I popped it into my iMac and ran the Portal 2 Setup utility, which only opened Steam and had me enter a code from inside the DVD box. Then Steam directed me to download an 11GB file. My ISP caps my monthly downloads at 2GB so I won't be able to play the game I just purchased until mid-October if I'm forced to download it. I purchased the physical media for this very reason.

The disc contains 7.8GB worth of .sid, .sis and .sim files, which I assume are the binaries I need for the game to install. So... what's going on? The box doesn't say anywhere that it requires an internet connection, let alone a fast, unlimited one. I've scoured the web and have not found anything helpful on this subject, amazingly enough, and am hoping my friends here at MacRumors can offer some advice. Thanks!

(If your "advice" is to get a real internet connection, yes, that would be nice but that's not possible here, unfortunately.)

*Edit: I removed all of my f-bombs, angry statements and comparisons between Steam and other things that produce steam for the benefit of everyone. :)

amethystjw

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI
Unfortunately, I found my answer buried on Steam's support site. Even though a super fast internet connection (or an internet connection at all) is not listed as a requirement on the box or on the website, I've confirmed that it is impossible to install the game on a Mac using the disc:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

This is frustrating, to say the least. I know people with fiber optic internet connections running into every room of their house don't care but this oversight on Valve's part makes the purchase an utter waste for some of us.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Is there no way to improve on that 2gb allowance? Can't you just switch ISP?

What about dualbooting into Windows? Install the game then copy the files from the Windows Steam folder into the Mac Steam folder (that's what I did to play TF2 the second it was released for OSX so it does work).

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
I had no problem installing from the retail DVD. Steam copied over 11GB from the disc (the window looks pretty similar as if downloading from the internet), then an update was loaded (a few hundred MBs). Worked for me.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Unfortunately, I found my answer buried on Steam's support site. Even though a super fast internet connection (or an internet connection at all) is not listed as a requirement on the box or on the website, I've confirmed that it is impossible to install the game on a Mac using the disc:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

This is frustrating, to say the least. I know people with fiber optic internet connections running into every room of their house don't care but this oversight on Valve's part makes the purchase an utter waste for some of us.

totally wrong. even Apple store sells this. if retail version is not compatible, how does the hell Apple store sell? retail DVD version can be installed both windows and mac with one DVD. it's dual capable installation.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
totally wrong. even Apple store sells this. if retail version is not compatible, how does the hell Apple store sell? retail DVD version can be installed both windows and mac with one DVD. it's dual capable installation.

Correct. That support page is pre-Portal 2. Valve's older games were not Mac-compatible on launch, and the retail copies were never updated to include the Mac-specific files.

amethystjw

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Livonia, MI

Good question, and one that makes this problem all the more frustrating.

As for "Totally wrong", I wish. Try installing it from the disc with your computer not connected to the internet (after registering it with Steam, of course). You'll see that I'm unfortunately right.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Good question, and one that makes this problem all the more frustrating.

As for "Totally wrong", I wish. Try installing it from the disc with your computer not connected to the internet (after registering it with Steam, of course). You'll see that I'm unfortunately right.

You probably do need to be connected to the internet to download a patch. But don't worry, it will get the data from the disc.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
You probably do need to be connected to the internet to download a patch. But don't worry, it will get the data from the disc.

Yeah there have been a couple of minor patches that probably need to be downloaded after activation but you should be able to install the main data from disc. ~9GB or so

Ramvolter

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
Earth
I just got my retail DVD and i am wondering on installing from the disc also...

It launched Steam and i activated Portal 2, but it looks that it's just downloading the whole game.... Is it going to install stuff from the disc in the middle of the download at some point or...?

lasix

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2004
Vienna, Austria
I just got my retail DVD and i am wondering on installing from the disc also...

It launched Steam and i activated Portal 2, but it looks that it's just downloading the whole game.... Is it going to install stuff from the disc in the middle of the download at some point or...?

I did it this way:

1) inserted the DVD
2) started Steam
3) in Steam: Account -> Backup and Restore Games...
4) Restore a previous backup...
5) Select the DVD (/Volumes/Portal 2)
6) Steams then asks for the CD Key and verifies it
7) afterwards Steam "downloads" the Game from the DVD

Et voila ;)

Ramvolter

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
Earth
I did it this way:

1) inserted the DVD
2) started Steam
3) in Steam: Account -> Backup and Restore Games...
4) Restore a previous backup...
5) Select the DVD (/Volumes/Portal 2)
6) Steams then asks for the CD Key and verifies it
7) afterwards Steam "downloads" the Game from the DVD

Et voila ;)

Thanks, i probably got it installed couple hours faster with that Restore-route. Although i had spent most of the day downloading it..i need faster internet.

iRobz

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for that workaround seems to be installing from my DVD which is a relief. The whole reason for me buying (and waiting for it to arrive) was so I could play it straight away.

Despite me installing Steam on my HDD drive it only gave me the option of installing Portal 2 on my SSD, i'd rather it was on my HDD as my SSD has limited space.

Does anyone have an easy way of doing this? Looking on Google it looks like you have to use terminal which all seems a bit of a hassle.

EDIT: Seems I spoke too soon. What appeared to be an installation from the DVD was nothing of the sort it validated all the files and is now still trying to download the game from Steam. Approx time until i can play the game is 6 hours.

lol, this is ridiculous! This'll be the first and last game i buy for my Mac.

Last edited:

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Thanks for that workaround seems to be installing from my DVD which is a relief. The whole reason for me buying (and waiting for it to arrive) was so I could play it straight away.

Despite me installing Steam on my HDD drive it only gave me the option of installing Portal 2 on my SSD, i'd rather it was on my HDD as my SSD has limited

lol, this is ridiculous! This'll be the first and last game i buy for my Mac.

honestly, not to be insensitive but I think if I were you, I would look for a new ISP instead of complaining of steam. I'm not saying it was misleading of valve to do what they did but if I had a 2gb cap per month I would probably not be playing games.

gshort

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
"(If your "advice" is to get a real internet connection, yes, that would be nice but that's not possible here, unfortunately.)"

Remember this from the first post? wywern209, you aren't being insensitive you are just missing the point. It is not possible for amethystjw to look for a new ISP, that's why they are asking this question in the first place.

I have the same problem - are you saying that I either need to stop playing games or quit my job and move to a city just so that I can get a better internet connection?

If you have an answer to this question or a helpful tip, great. If you're hear to point out the obvious or pass judgement on others' choices, you are in the wrong place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.