PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Messenger App

collisos
Apr 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
So I've brought this up in various places other than mac rumors, and as you can probably tell I'm a new member so I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. I am a huge fan of the iPhone and maybe part of it has to do with a fanboy mentality. I have the iPhone 4 and love it. A lot of people I know at school have blackberries and one of the only and most important reasons they have one is because of BBM. Everyone seems to be a huge fan of bbm-ing and getting people's pins and I have to say the idea of it is pretty enticing. I realize many of you will probably say "it is the same as texting" but it does have its differences. Also, people might say "they have tons of apps that already do this". The problem with that is that you have to convince people to get that same app. Currently I use whatsapp, which works well but only a select few people have it, those who I had to convince to get it. What I was thinking is why doesn't apple have a native app for iPhone to iPhone messenger similar to BBM? Seems like a good idea to me, just a thought though.

shandyman
Apr 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
So I've brought this up in various places other than mac rumors, and as you can probably tell I'm a new member so I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. I am a huge fan of the iPhone and maybe part of it has to do with a fanboy mentality. I have the iPhone 4 and love it. A lot of people I know at school have blackberries and one of the only and most important reasons they have one is because of BBM. Everyone seems to be a huge fan of bbm-ing and getting people's pins and I have to say the idea of it is pretty enticing. I realize many of you will probably say "it is the same as texting" but it does have its differences. Also, people might say "they have tons of apps that already do this". The problem with that is that you have to convince people to get that same app. Currently I use whatsapp, which works well but only a select few people have it, those who I had to convince to get it. What I was thinking is why doesn't apple have a native app for iPhone to iPhone messenger similar to BBM? Seems like a good idea to me, just a thought though.

i don't bother with whatsapp or anything like that, i just use Beejive, which uses msn, yahoo, gtalk, facebook chat, etc all in 1 app, so whichever my friends use, they're there, just add my existing accounts. simples :) my friends use that, or ebuddy or trillian to do the same on their devices, be it blackberry, android or iphone.

El3ctronics
Apr 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
Anyone who thinks a desktop IM service (AIM, Google Talk, etc.) is comparable to a mobile IM service (bbm, whatsapp etc.) simply doesn't get it.

collisos
Apr 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah BBM is awesome and I know my roommate has a blackberry basically because he loves BBM so much. 3rd party apps just don't do it the same.

Reach9
Apr 29, 2011, 01:29 PM
Whatsapp all the way!

shandyman
Apr 29, 2011, 01:30 PM
Anyone who thinks a desktop IM service (AIM, Google Talk, etc.) is comparable to a mobile IM service (bbm, whatsapp etc.) simply doesn't get it.

i can do anything with beejive that i can do when i've used whatsapp, but have the advantage that i can also talk to people that don't have smart phones.....

BBM is a gimmick that is dying, look at the fact that RIM are now working on making BBM work on android and iOS... desperation there....

collisos
Apr 29, 2011, 01:33 PM
i can do anything with beejive that i can do when i've used whatsapp, but have the advantage that i can also talk to people that don't have smart phones.....

BBM is a gimmick that is dying, look at the fact that RIM are now working on making BBM work on android and iOS... desperation there....

Wait so they're making BBM work for all phones? Making it a cross platform messenger thing?

shandyman
Apr 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
Wait so they're making BBM work for all phones? Making it a cross platform messenger thing?

yup, cos they're annoyed that whatsapp and pingchat stealing their audience

collisos
Apr 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
yup, cos they're annoyed that whatsapp and pingchat stealing their audience

Sounds exactly like what I was looking for...problem solved?

El3ctronics
Apr 29, 2011, 03:27 PM

Really? You are always logged in and can't be logged out? Every single one of your contacts using those desktop services are always logged in as well and you can always communicate with them via that method!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!

The beauty of a mobile IM application is that you KNOW you can communicate with someone via that method no matter what. You don't have to check first if they're "logged in" (then if they're not logged in go back and send an SMS instead) b/c you and your contacts are always logged in.

Throw in the fact you can see when the message leaves your phone, gets delivered, when a contact is typing, fast file sharing, group chats, location sharing, broadcast messages etc and it's not even close to the same thing. Sorry.

shandyman
Apr 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
Really? You are always logged in and can't be logged out? Every single one of your contacts using those desktop services are always logged in as well and you can always communicate with them via that method!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!

The beauty of a mobile IM application is that you KNOW you can communicate with someone via that method no matter what. You don't have to check first if they're "logged in" (then if they're not logged in go back and send an SMS instead) b/c you and your contacts are always logged in.

Throw in the fact you can see when the message leaves your phone, gets delivered, when a contact is typing, fast file sharing, group chats, location sharing, broadcast messages etc and it's not even close to the same thing. Sorry.

actually they stayed loggedin for 7 days, and thats only if you're inactive for 7 days, applies to all people using it, most IM services, such as gtalk, msn, yahoo all do offline messaging, facebook does it as a message. with ebuddy i can see when people are typing, i can have group chats, do location sharing and i can file share with the apps too. so far the only thing i can't do is broadcast messages, which i've never heard of until you mentioned it, so therefore have no need. so really BBM only seems to do 1 thing that beejive and ebuddy don't do. the SMS thing is a bit silly, if someone ain't online and i want to message them i'll just SMS them, simple as, it's not like i cannot do that.

El3ctronics
May 2, 2011, 03:37 PM
actually they stayed loggedin for 7 days, and thats only if you're inactive for 7 days, applies to all people using it, most IM services, such as gtalk, msn, yahoo all do offline messaging, facebook does it as a message. with ebuddy i can see when people are typing, i can have group chats, do location sharing and i can file share with the apps too. so far the only thing i can't do is broadcast messages, which i've never heard of until you mentioned it, so therefore have no need. so really BBM only seems to do 1 thing that beejive and ebuddy don't do. the SMS thing is a bit silly, if someone ain't online and i want to message them i'll just SMS them, simple as, it's not like i cannot do that.

You're completely and blatantly (I'm assuming, other there's another word for it) missing the point. Knowing that you can ALWAYS communicate with a contact via a specific method is much better and more efficient than having to check if they're "online" every single time you want to message them.

chris2k5
May 2, 2011, 04:12 PM
I use Whatsapp for friends who are abroad. Very useful and works just like SMS but quicker.

charliehustle
May 2, 2011, 04:37 PM
Anyone heard of "liveprofile"?

It's free on Android, IOS and Blackberries.. and works like whats app.

I just know some people who don't want to pay for an app like that (1.99 a year for whats app), personally I don't care. I just hate how I have to switch between my SMS app, Whats app and liveprofile..

I'm hoping everyone gets lifeprofile so I can delete whats app..

and is there any way someone can make an app that puts all those apps into one? so if I get a whats app msg or a lifeprofile or a SMS that I can see them all in one place?

Consultant
May 2, 2011, 04:56 PM
So you are looking for just a proprietary form of email or texting?

El3ctronics
May 2, 2011, 06:41 PM
Anyone heard of "liveprofile"?

It's free on Android, IOS and Blackberries.. and works like whats app.

I just know some people who don't want to pay for an app like that (1.99 a year for whats app), personally I don't care. I just hate how I have to switch between my SMS app, Whats app and liveprofile..

I'm hoping everyone gets lifeprofile so I can delete whats app..

and is there any way someone can make an app that puts all those apps into one? so if I get a whats app msg or a lifeprofile or a SMS that I can see them all in one place?

I used live profile but WAYYYYYYYY too much downtime that it made it unusable. Do not recommend at all.

gks
May 3, 2011, 07:48 AM

This is a rumor. Do not get some crazy idea that this is coming until it is either announced or is actually in your hands.

I really don't think it'll happen.

collisos
Jun 6, 2011, 01:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Screw bbm! Apple answers the call almost exactly what I want. How lucky haha I couldn't be happier

joemarioz
Jun 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Screw bbm! Apple answers the call almost exactly what I want. How lucky haha I couldn't be happier

You are right my friend! that was just what I was about to post haha! SCREW BBM!

collisos
Jun 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
You are right my friend! that was just what I was about to post haha! SCREW BBM!

I want iOS 5 right now haha damn the fall seems so far away.

applelove1111
Jun 7, 2011, 12:38 PM
I was reading some tech blogs and there's a new product out called the Wi-Drive. It seems pretty awesome! It works with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad! Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r9-yW4SbFs&feature=channel_video_title