PDA

View Full Version : Slow startups after reformatting

Cerano
Apr 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hi guys

Due to the 10.6.7 problem, I reformatted my drive after starting up with the USB stick, wiping the drive clean before reinstalling everything.

however, after reinstalling, the shutdowns and startups have become around 45 seconds. i know that there is disk caching but ive shut down and start up maybe a hundred times but its not getting any faster

bcaslis
Apr 29, 2011, 12:04 AM
Goto System Preferences -> Startup Disk and make sure your SSD is selected. That's usually the problem since if it is not it will waste time searching for a startup volume.

jenzjen
Apr 29, 2011, 01:01 PM
So you used erase free space via disk utility to wipe the drive? Tsk tsk tsk on a SSD, that instantly makes it slower since you wrote to every cell.

Go to the Mac Pro section and look for the TRIM discussion and install that patch. That should fix it.

bcaslis
Apr 29, 2011, 01:21 PM
So you used erase free space via disk utility to wipe the drive? Tsk tsk tsk on a SSD, that instantly makes it slower since you wrote to every cell.

Go to the Mac Pro section and look for the TRIM discussion and install that patch. That should fix it.

That's not necessarily true. On newer SSDs they perform their own controller tricks to prevent this. There was an article (I think maybe in Macworld) that specifically tested this on the MBAs not long after they were released. They ran several different torture tests including writing to all addresses and found no slowdown.

Secondly, the startup is mainly reading and the SSDs that are affected by slowdowns happen for writes, not for reads. So the startup time doesn't change significantly even if this was a factor. There is no need for this patch.

Cerano
Apr 29, 2011, 01:33 PM
actually i already enabled trim and with our active gc i dont think it should make much of a difference...

Scuba-EMT
Apr 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
It will take some time to rebuild the indexes, it should speed up after the initial indexing is completed.

Cheers

halledise
Apr 29, 2011, 03:39 PM

not true

will0407
Apr 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

paste that into terminal, enter your password (password doesn't show for security so make sure you type is correctly)

Let it run, quit it, restart and boom!

My 11" ultimate is ready to log in at 17 seconds!

Cerano
Apr 30, 2011, 05:04 AM
sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

paste that into terminal, enter your password (password doesn't show for security so make sure you type is correctly)

Let it run, quit it, restart and boom!

My 11" ultimate is ready to log in at 17 seconds!

god this method is incredible

thank you so much!!!! im humbled :)