Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

090453-icloud_150.jpg

Earlier this week, a source reported to GigaOM that Apple has purchased the iCloud.com domain name for the sum of $4.5 million, presumably preparing to roll out its forthcoming cloud-based music service under that name.

All Things Digital now briefly notes that it has confirmed that Apple has in fact purchased the domain, although sources declined to confirm the purchase price.
Apple has indeed acquired the domain name iCloud.com from Sweden-based hybrid cloud computing outfit Xcerion. Sources in position to know confirm that Apple bought the domain as GigaOm first reported Thursday, though they declined to say whether its rumored $4.5 million price tag was accurate.
iCloud.com continues to redirect to the rebranded CloudMe.com service, and Whois databases continue to list Xcerion as the owner of the iCloud.com domain.

Article Link: Sources Confirm Apple's Purchase of iCloud.com

thejakill

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope they have some special trick up their sleeve. This whole cloud-based music gimmick is a yawner.

nishioka

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
It should just be apart of MobileMe... not an entire different name. Just my personal opinion.

Yes, it could just be that they're rounding up domain names that folks might attribute to whatever the service is called, like how the iPod Touch is known as the iTouch but never really marketed that way (as far as I can remember).

alex.sebenski

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd rather they focussed on improving the service than messing with the branding. Hmm

Apple's glad they didn't hire you in their marketing department. MobileMe doesn't scream Apple. iCloud does, and it uses a buzz word, and it explains what it's for. Good re-branding.

You are correct though. They better hit the ground running with some impressive innovations so people actually use the service.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I think they are about to scrap MobileMe and start again to be honest.

That'd be interesting. I miss the .Mac days, hate the MobileMe monicker, seems so obnoxious. It really needs serious reevaluation.

Of all the issues I take with Apple is the ITMS. For then 7th time I've had to deal with my account rejecting my credit card, all on Apple's end as my bank never gets requested charges/approvals. The first time was due to a server going down and losing my info, the other times they couldn't figure it out but fixed it somehow. The lack of phone support (even with AppleCare!) for ITMS and MobileMe is horrendous. Only email support (and online chat is gone!). It's been two weeks and I've received automated messages that they are working on the issue. In the meantime I have ~30 free apps I cannot update on my two accounts and nor can I purchase anything. :mad:

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
MobileMe doesn't scream Apple. iCloud does, and it uses a buzz word, and it explains what it's for. Good re-branding.

Hehes, I suppose you're right. Just wish they'd make their mind up. It was .Mac when I first started using it, after-all! ;)

Also, I'm admittedly quite fond of the @me.com email addresses.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Maybe they bought it just to prevent consumers from getting confused. MobileMe may still be the name of the cloud service. It may just be a brand thing. We may never see iCloud.

Or I could just be totaly wrong. Im never good at guessing.

Pracht

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd think it won't be the official name.

Think about it, the "i" is "Internet"... But basically, so is cloud.

I don't think apple would have such a redundant name.

Unless they've stopped caring about the people that actually know what their 'i' stands for.

xxplosive1984

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Dallas, TX
Maybe they bought it just to prevent consumers from getting confused. MobileMe may still be the name of the cloud service. It may just be a brand thing. We may never see iCloud.

Or I could just be totaly wrong. Im never good at guessing.

Spending $4.5MM on a domain name makes me think it'll be used.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I like how Cloudme is celebrating with universe like purple and stars color scheme to thank Apple for those 4,5 mil. I would be so happy to rebrand my unknown service for that money...

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9Z4A Safari/6533.18.5)

Ew iPad what a stupid name! It is what women use.

Just a reminder to everyone that comments on Ithing names then don't care a week later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.