PDA

View Full Version : Seeking skin (Wrapsol, Zagg, etc) recommendations for my new MBA

hydrostarr
Apr 29, 2011, 08:27 AM
Seeking skin (Wrapsol, Zagg, etc) recommendations for my new MBA. Looking for MacBook-Air-specific reviews and comments similar to these, which appear to be mostly iPhone-focused:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=935907
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10127756&postcount=9

(Thanks)

unclet
Apr 29, 2011, 09:10 AM
I've got the wrapsol cover on my 13" MBA, and I love it. You may or may not want to put the trackpad skin on, depending on how you like the feel, but otherwise, it provides excellent protection and was easier to put on than I thought. That's not to say that it's quick and easy to apply, but it's not as bad as I'd feared, and there are no bubbles. I like the fact that it is not too glossy. It provides good grip, adds basically no weight, and protects really well. I was also impressed with wrapsol's customer service. There was one piece in the first skin that I bought that didn't seem to be cut quite to the right size, so I emailed them and they sent me a new skin (the complete set, not just the piece I needed) no questions asked. Of course the fact that I got a piece that was sized wrong isn't too great, but it wasn't a hassle at all getting it taken care of.

hydrostarr
Apr 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
(thx unclet, quite helpful.)

I called up Wrapsol's headquarters in Boston. First phone rep was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, informative, courteous, and patient with all my questions. When she was unable to answer one of my questions (it was a *long* list), she also forwarded me to another Wrapsol employee (a marketing director/manager) who gave me what I'd call the scoop on the entire "skins for consumer electronics" competitive landscape. Extremely informative.

Wrapsol seems to be the clear winner thus far. World-class customer relations (per above). Online-install tutorial video for their MBA 13" current gen (presumably 2010) was remarkably well done. They claim a "replace your skin as many times as you want for free" policy. And Wrapsol appears to be the only one to offer a matte finish skin, potentially enabling the MBA to look its best.

Bottom line: I'm gonna try out Wrapsol on my MBA.

philxor
Apr 29, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have had the Wrapsol skin since about a week after I got my MBA a few months ago and I'm very impressed with it. I think it actually enhances the look of the MBA with its matte finish and adds additional grip. It was fairly easy to apply although the palm rest portion is a bit tricky due to the trackpad cutout.

Jordan921
Apr 29, 2011, 01:52 PM
Installed wrapsol skin on my laptop yesterday and i'm liking it. Like the matte finish on it.

ritmomundo
Apr 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
Not sure if you just want a clear skin (for which I think Wrapsol is probably better), but if you want one with a design (your own or one from hundreds of selections), check out Zagg's Zaggskins, or Gelaskins. Zagg provides full body skins, whereas gelaskins is top only. I've had a custom ZaggSkin on my 11" MBA for about 6 months now, and I still love it. Makes it look unique, plus gives it a good grip.

IngerMan
Apr 29, 2011, 02:53 PM
I have had the black iCarbon skin for over a week. I really like it. iCarbons.com

gdeputy
Apr 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
You know, I don't have a skin on my MBA, but I do use skins on my iPhone and iPad, and I can say all the companies I've bought from have been great as far as customer support. (Bodyguardz, Invisible Shield, Wrapsol, Ghost Armor).

With that said, and I don't know if they are still doing it, but, Wrapsol never charged me for shipping on replacements, and I had 2 or 3 of them. very good support, and I recommend them!

The Samurai
Apr 29, 2011, 03:51 PM
Zagg all the way - here's a video test/review on the Zagg for the Macbook Air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIIB-V6D0nQ

AudiB8
May 2, 2011, 09:00 PM
Wrapsol all the way. I've wrapped everything in their product - ipad, iphone, and my current 13 MBA. I didn't use the wrist or trackpad sections, just the two outer covers. It's flawless. Plus their customer service is top notch.

igmolinav
May 4, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thank you : ) !!!

Poisoned1
May 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
I know when i got my iPad 1st gen, I was at the mall and Ghost Armor had a little stand up in there and thought id try it. I've seen some other clear covers on other phones, not sure what brand, but they would peel up at the edges and looked thick. So, I paid for them to put the GA on my iPad and it came out really well. It's very clear and I've had it on since release and its still on with no peeling. The kit they had covered the sides as well, front, and back of my iPad. I will probably use them again to cover my mba since i was pleased with the way my iPad turned out.

mbhebsgaard
Jun 18, 2011, 03:35 AM
I really like the skins from smirkabout

http://ipadwallpapersbybay.com/new-ipad-2-wallpaper-and-ipad-2-skin/

sprockett
Jul 30, 2011, 12:48 AM
have used zagg before for my iphone and now onto wrapsol for my MBA.

I was VERY skeptical at first (because i've had bad experiences with other skin type products (especially those don't don't requre u to wet the skin first)

Installation took awhile, but because you use the spray, there is a lot of room for error that u can easily recorrect.... Even better, if u have a speck of dust etc on it, just do a couple more sprays and pick off the dust!

Now that its on, its AWESOME! Protection without added bulk.

my only grouse is it doesnt cover ALL the edges, but of course that would probably be technically impossible to implement... But 99.5% coverage is pretty good!

PS: For those applying yourselves, DON'T TRY TO STRETCH IT TO FIT EXACTLY. At least not at the start.

Just use lots of the spray, and ALIGN it smack in the centre. Once you do this THEN use the rubber thing to try and stretch it out a little.

If you try to stretch it at the start when u lay it on, you will UNDOUBTEDLY over stretch, and once you do that, yyou may an edge sticking out, which makes it a lot easier to peel off later on (un desired)

hydrostarr
Jul 30, 2011, 01:31 AM
Now that its on, its AWESOME! Protection without added bulk.
Great, big thx for the report. To be clear... this is the Wrapsol product on your MacBook Air?

ritmomundo
Jul 30, 2011, 01:41 AM
UPDATE: Going on 10 months now with my ZaggSkin, and it still looks perfect, like the day I put it on. No peeling, no scratches/scuffs, no fading of the design. I'm really happy with it. I think in a couple months (around the yr mark), I'll order another ZaggSkin, in a different design, so that I can change up the look.

Apple Expert
Jul 30, 2011, 01:54 AM
I will only use phantomskinz. Way better than wrapsol for less money.

huschpuscheli
Jul 30, 2011, 03:17 AM
i use http://www.bestskinsever.com/. give them a try. better cut than zagg, much cheaper and they look better. though there is no squeegie (a credid card will do it) and no solution (a water liguid soap solution will do it) included.

sprockett
Jul 30, 2011, 04:37 AM
Great, big thx for the report. To be clear... this is the Wrapsol product on your MacBook Air?

Yup, this is on my new MBA 13.

PS: I definitely like the "matte" finish much better than those glossy / semi sticky skins.

50 bucks for some thin plasticky rubber seems like a lot to pay, but its really quite good!

glen e
Jul 30, 2011, 05:21 AM
zagg is probably the worst product on the market - do a search - esp on the ipad forum - i like icarbons - not thin, no wet app and no bubbles...

ritmomundo
Jul 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
zagg is probably the worst product on the market - do a search - esp on the ipad forum - i like icarbons - not thin, no wet app and no bubbles...

The Zagg InvisibleShield is horrible, I agree. I had one once before on my phone and it peeled in the corners and dirtied within weeks. Of course I got the free replacement, but I'll never buy it again.

However, the ZaggSkin is exactly how you describe the iCarbon skin - not thin, no wet app (ZaggSkins are dry application), and no bubbles. But you still get the tough anti-scratch quality of the Zagg IS, and whatever custom design you want printed on it. I've been using it for almost 10 months now, and its still perfect.

I had actually considered the iCarbon skin for my MBA, but I saw reviews on youtube showing the material getting scratched (not too easily, but still scratched, nonetheless), and that was a turn off for me. How has your experience been with this issue?

I had also considered GelaSkins at the time. However, they only had the skin on the top, not full body. I don't know if they changed it now, but my ZaggSkin has all sides covered (top, bottom, wrist pad, and trackpad).

PS - no, I don't work for Zagg. Im just giving my experience, in case anyone else is thinking about it.

CrashnTrash
Jul 30, 2011, 05:55 PM
Based on all the positive reviews people were giving on the Wrapsol, I was going to purchase one. But, I saw somebody recently stating that they went to T J Maxx and bought a Zagg Invisible Shield for $5. I had to see this to believe it, so I went to the store and there it was for 11 & 13 inch MBA 3rd generation! I just saved $50 :)

I wonder if I will be able to register this for lifetime warranty?

iclubhouse
Jul 30, 2011, 05:59 PM
i use http://www.bestskinsever.com/. give them a try. better cut than zagg, much cheaper and they look better. though there is no squeegie (a credid card will do it) and no solution (a water liguid soap solution will do it) included.

Just ordered mine as well and it is the cheapest full body skin among others. I assume that the quality is as good as other skins since it is made in US. One thing it doesn't have lifetime warranty tho.

ritmomundo
Jul 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
Based on all the positive reviews people were giving on the Wrapsol, I was going to purchase one. But, I saw somebody recently stating that they went to T J Maxx and bought a Zagg Invisible Shield for $5. I had to see this to believe it, so I went to the store and there it was for 11 & 13 inch MBA 3rd generation! I just saved $50 :)

I wonder if I will be able to register this for lifetime warranty?

Wow, nice find! At full price, I would say "no way" to the Zagg IS. However, for only 5 dollars, it's totally worth it. You can even get a spare for if/when it starts to peel.

teerexx52
Jul 30, 2011, 09:12 PM

Just installed a BSE on my 11" Air this evening. No problems.

clyde2801
Jul 30, 2011, 09:31 PM
Is everyone using clear skins, or has anyone gone black?

jmh1028
Jul 30, 2011, 09:35 PM
i have the BestSkinsEver full body skin on my 11" air. I've been using BSE on all my electronics and it has never failed me. I personally like how it makes the laptop glossy, but moreover, how it gives some grip to the hardware.

Anyway, I like BSE in general because their products are relatively cheap (cost-wise). Specifically, though, for the MB air, I like how it provides skins not only for the usual top/bottom/palmrest/trackpad but also both sides (by the ports) and the back side (where it's black). I was hoping they'd at least give the option of having skins for the empty areas around the keyboard and around the screen (bezel) for ultimate protection but it's fine as is.

sparkhill
Jul 31, 2011, 01:57 AM
Over the last year, I have tried about all of the skins on my iPad and MacBook Air. I like Wrapsol for the aluminum (just to be complete, PowerSupport is IMO the best iPad screen protector). Wrapsol has more of a sparkly matte finish that really hides fingerprints and provides excellent grip. The others (BSE, phantom and iCarbon) are all fine, just different products. For me, Wrapsol is the clear winner, with BSE in a distant second place.

huschpuscheli
Jul 31, 2011, 02:07 AM
Just ordered mine as well and it is the cheapest full body skin among others.
I assume that the quality is as good as other skins since it is made in US.
One thing it doesn't have lifetime warranty tho.

no, they have no warranty. but i told them that my last iphone 4 front skin was faulty (grain inside the skin material) and they simply replaced it for free. even free shipping to germany.

edit: i want to add that i'm in no way affiliated to bse :)

edit 2: does anybody know another skin which covers more than top, bottom, trackpad, wrist rests, sides? what about around the keyboard or the bezel or the individual keyboard keys? does something like that exist?

P0stalTek
Jul 31, 2011, 03:26 AM
So far, I've had:

iPad:
-Cheapie $2 Protector
-MediaDevil Matte Protector
-ZAGG IS *final*

iPhone:
-Power Support (Crystal)
-ZAGG Full Body
-SGP Fully Body (Crystal) *final*

MBA:
-Wrapsol *final*

I could not be more pleased with the Wrapsol I bought. Not only did it go on easier than every other install on my devices, but it saved me tons of $$ on "testing" other brands. :D

Seriously, take the chance, go Wrapsol!

P.S. Wrapsol is also running a deal right now for the new MBA. I snagged mine for $30 instead of $50 even if they did nail me with the $7 shipping since I didn't spend $35 on the order. Well worth it, and I am pleased with the final product.

Macman45
Jul 31, 2011, 03:28 AM
Something different, Google Mach3 Composites, tough as zagg etc, but better looking I think

FieldingMellish
Jul 31, 2011, 10:09 AM
If you don't mind changing the appearance of your mac, the iCarbon skins go on super easily and look amazing. No effort, really. It's a high-quality, thick layer of top of the line 3M self adhesive vinyl. No dust bumps, nothing.

qwerf123
Jul 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
Seeking skin (Wrapsol, Zagg, etc) recommendations for my new MBA. Looking for MacBook-Air-specific reviews and comments similar to these, which appear to be mostly iPhone-focused:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=935907
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10127756&postcount=9

(Thanks)

Get the iCarbon skin: icarbons.com

it is truly amazing and have not reverted to invisible shield since starting using them

clyde2801
Jul 31, 2011, 01:13 PM
Get the iCarbon skin: icarbons.com

it is truly amazing and have not reverted to invisible shield since starting using them

I'm getting the equivalent at the ghost armour kiosk, and having them install it. Macbook Air with black carbon fiber....you can never be too black or two thin.