PDA

View Full Version : Thinnest and lightest full protection case

kramerica2
Apr 29, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hey guys could you help me find the ideal case for me?

I'm looking for a case that would answer the following demands (by order of importance):
1. Front and back scratch protection.
2. As thin and light as possible.
3. Aesthetically pleasing and complementing the iPad design (not something that would hide it completely).
4. Has "movie" and "typing" positions.
5. Auto wakeup and sleep.

I have no idea if such a case exists. In my mind I think about a Smart Cover that doesn't fall of easily and can be positioned comfortably while holding the iPad at hand, plus a thin and beautiful back skin.

I'm not looking for protection against falls and damages, just back scratches and screen protection.

So, is there any case like that out there?

Thanks a lot, would appreciate any input.

jedolley
Apr 29, 2011, 01:06 PM
IMO, the Belkin Snap Shield along with the Smart Cover of your choice fits this bill. I do not have an issue with the Smart Cover falling off or coming off easily. The upcoming Incipio Smart Feather may be another option since it will match your smart cover of choice color, and may make it harder to take off (still unconfirmed).

As for full cases with integrated front and back, the Marware Microshell Folio might work as well, but IMO it does not fit #3.

clyde2801
Apr 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
imo, the belkin snap shield along with the smart cover of your choice fits this bill. I do not have an issue with the smart cover falling off or coming off easily. The upcoming incipio smart feather may be another option since it will match your smart cover of choice color, and may make it harder to take off (still unconfirmed).

As for full cases with integrated front and back, the marware microshell folio might work as well, but imo it does not fit #3.

+1

kramerica2
Apr 29, 2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks jedolley.

The main problem I have with the smart cover is not that it would fall off while carrying it (that's a minor issue if I understand correctly), but what to do with it while using the iPad on the go. It doesn't fold easily around the back and you have to hold it.
However, that Marware case deserves another look, but I couldn't find a hands-on review anywhere.

jedolley
Apr 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks jedolley.

The main problem I have with the smart cover is not that it would fall off while carrying it (that's a minor issue if I understand correctly), but what to do with it while using the iPad on the go. It doesn't fold easily around the back and you have to hold it.
However, that Marware case deserves another look, but I couldn't find a hands-on review anywhere.

When traveling or out and about, and if i'm not using my smart cover, I pull it off and slide it into my Waterfield Slip Case. If I am at home, I just pull it off, fold it into the triangle and set it on my desk. I can see how this can be a chore for some, especially if you are used to using folio style cases.

I just never got used to using folio style cases with the iPad 1 and just used a TPU case. To me, the smart cover is a great addition to how I use the iPad. It's like an portable stand that I can use the protect the front, and clean if I need it.

As for the Marware... There are pics in another thread on here. I think initially this case had a lot of promise, but the end result (at least what I have seen), isn't much different than the Incase Magazine Jacket IMO.

Lindalou
Apr 29, 2011, 02:33 PM
This is the cover I'm waiting for. ifrogz Summit.

Looks like the outer shell comes in colors and doesn't cover the bezel. So the white should look awesome in a white iPad. The cover is black but it seems pretty thin, has auto on/off and 3 different view slots. I heard it was only $30-$40.
Here is what they say:
Featuring Apple Smart Cover technology, the Summit is not only designed to fully encase and protect the iPad 2, it also detects when the front cover is opened or closed, automatically turning the device on or off. No buttons, presses, or swipes needed. The Summit blends the look and practicality of a folio-style case with the rigid protection of a snap-in polycarbonate and a polyurethane exterior. The Summit also boasts three different media views, a business card pocket, and secure magnetic closure.

http://ifrogz.com/iPad2

jedolley
Apr 29, 2011, 02:55 PM

Looks like the outer shell comes in colors and doesn't cover the bezel. So the white should look awesome in a white iPad. The cover is black but it seems pretty thin, has auto on/off and 3 different view slots. I heard it was only $30-$40.
Here is what they say:
Featuring Apple Smart Cover technology, the Summit is not only designed to fully encase and protect the iPad 2, it also detects when the front cover is opened or closed, automatically turning the device on or off. No buttons, presses, or swipes needed. The Summit blends the look and practicality of a folio-style case with the rigid protection of a snap-in polycarbonate and a polyurethane exterior. The Summit also boasts three different media views, a business card pocket, and secure magnetic closure.

Really?

This is an exact copy of the Switcheasy Canvas, just with uglier colors. :p

gigaguy
Apr 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
Sounds like you'd have liked the iPad 1 orig apple Pad case. The Yoobao slim leather is just like it for the iPad 2 but in leather and has smart function.

Lindalou
Apr 29, 2011, 03:28 PM
Really?

This is an exact copy of the Switcheasy Canvas, just with uglier colors. :p

yeah, not fond of the colors either, just like the white. Switcheasy doesn't come in white.

kramerica2
Apr 29, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks everyone, that ifrogz case looks too thick for me. It was the same problem with the original iPad case.

Another problem is that all of these cases aren't available right now. Maybe smart cover with some slim back protection is the way to go. Perhaps something like the invisible shield or some kind of carbon skin.

Isn't there any kind of 3rd party smart cover that found a better way of handling itself in use?

xupcua
Apr 30, 2011, 03:03 AM
My recommend:

- SC to protect the top
- Sene Ultraslim to protect all iPad when travel. It's also acts like a base for you iPad when in use. (or you can buy a thin film to protect the rear)

I'm using above recommended and happy because Sena is slim and light and look great

BlindMellon
Apr 30, 2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks everyone, that ifrogz case looks too thick for me. It was the same problem with the original iPad case.

Another problem is that all of these cases aren't available right now. Maybe smart cover with some slim back protection is the way to go. Perhaps something like the invisible shield or some kind of carbon skin.

Isn't there any kind of 3rd party smart cover that found a better way of handling itself in use?

Take a look at STM (http://www.amazon.com/STM-Skinny-Case-iPad2-dp-2189-01/dp/B004TGQGP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304026054&sr=8-1).

kramerica2
Apr 30, 2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks, I took a look at the STM. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my main issue with the smart cover. It doesn't have any solution for holding the front cover while using it.

freeman727
Apr 30, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks, I took a look at the STM. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my main issue with the smart cover. It doesn't have any solution for holding the front cover while using it.

I don't get your concern about the STM. You can fold the cover all the way behind and keep it that way.

kramerica2
Apr 30, 2011, 07:45 AM
I don't get your concern about the STM. You can fold the cover all the way behind and keep it that way.

Does it stay folded back or do you have to hold it that way?

To my understanding, it doesn't just stay that way and that's my problem. I like to change positions quite often, and the cover hanging around is an annoyance.

Night Spring
Apr 30, 2011, 11:37 AM

To my understanding, it doesn't just stay that way and that's my problem. I like to change positions quite often, and the cover hanging around is an annoyance.

Well, how do you want the cover to stay folded back? With a snap or a rubber band or what? Don't say magnets, because most magnets that are strong enough to hold a cover to the back of the iPad are also so strong they turn the iPad off. If you add snaps or rubber bands or other ways of holding a cover flat to the back, you add bulk, which I think is why you aren't getting recommendations for those types of cases, because your thread title asks for "thinnest and lightest."

kramerica2
Apr 30, 2011, 11:46 AM
Well, how do you want the cover to stay folded back? With a snap or a rubber band or what? Don't say magnets, because most magnets that are strong enough to hold a cover to the back of the iPad are also so strong they turn the iPad off. If you add snaps or rubber bands or other ways of holding a cover flat to the back, you add bulk, which I think is why you aren't getting recommendations for those types of cases, because your thread title asks for "thinnest and lightest."

Well, that's one of the reasons I said: "I have no idea if such a case exists..."
I am willing to compromise on that, in favor of reducing bulk.

However, I do believe that magnets would solve the issue. you don't have to add magnets, just use thin magnetic steel inside your back cover. The magnets that are already in the smart cover will attach to it, as they attach to the ipad itself. It won't add bulk and weight, and would be perfect IMHO.
Until someone will make that case, I guess I'll have to settle on smart cover and some sort of carbon fiber skin.

Night Spring
Apr 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
Well, that's one of the reasons I said: "I have no idea if such a case exists..."
I am willing to compromise on that, in favor of reducing bulk.

However, I do believe that magnets would solve the issue. you don't have to add magnets, just use thin magnetic steel inside your back cover. The magnets that are already in the smart cover will attach to it, as they attach to the ipad itself. It won't add bulk and weight, and would be perfect IMHO.
Until someone will make that case, I guess I'll have to settle on smart cover and some sort of carbon fiber skin.

Hmmmmm, that might work. However, I doubt anybody will make that, since the general idea with the smart cover is that you just take it off when you don't want it.

Also, I don't think you mentioned "stick to the back" as one of your requirements in your opening post.

Anyway, check out this thread to see if this might be a compromise solution you can live with:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1143564

I'm going hunting for this right now myself. :D

kramerica2
Apr 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
The problem with those cases is that dust and all sorts of tiny grits can get between it and the cover, causing it to scratch the back.

It happened with my iphone, that's why I'm prefer a skin of some sort.

Good luck with your hunt...

applefanatic32
May 1, 2011, 02:48 PM

Here is what they say:

Just like you, I was also holding out the iFrogz Summit Case for iPad 2. I have been hounding so many sites and asking when this case would come in. I just found and ordered it from the link in my signature!

I am trying post pictures of the case because I just received it this weekend (overnight shipping). It is everything and more than I expected it to be. The first reason I liked this case was because it looked like it provided a high level of protection for both the front and back of my iPad 2. I have the smart cover from Apple, but as most of us have commented, it does not protect the back of my device.

The iFrogz case has a unique look and the leather piece on the back side of the case seems to act as a great protector from scratches, bumps and even drops! The leather absorbs the shock when the iPad hits a firm surface!

Some iPad 2 cases claim that they provide optimal viewing angles, etc. This case has three different configurations that display the iPad 2 at different angles. The "middle" configuration is my favorite because I often catch up on my favorite movies with my iPad 2. You can place the case on your lap and easily watch a movie without getting a pain in your neck, etc.

If you have any questions about this case- I would be happy to answer them- seeing that I am one of the few that has received this case (spent a lot of money on shipping) and I know there are a lot of people out there waiting for this case! Thanks. :cool:

Lindalou
May 1, 2011, 04:10 PM
Just like you, I was also holding out the iFrogz Summit Case for iPad 2. I have been hounding so many sites and asking when this case would come in. I just found and ordered it from the link in my signature!

I am trying post pictures of the case because I just received it this weekend (overnight shipping). It is everything and more than I expected it to be. The first reason I liked this case was because it looked like it provided a high level of protection for both the front and back of my iPad 2. I have the smart cover from Apple, but as most of us have commented, it does not protect the back of my device.

The iFrogz case has a unique look and the leather piece on the back side of the case seems to act as a great protector from scratches, bumps and even drops! The leather absorbs the shock when the iPad hits a firm surface!

Some iPad 2 cases claim that they provide optimal viewing angles, etc. This case has three different configurations that display the iPad 2 at different angles. The "middle" configuration is my favorite because I often catch up on my favorite movies with my iPad 2. You can place the case on your lap and easily watch a movie without getting a pain in your neck, etc.

If you have any questions about this case- I would be happy to answer them- seeing that I am one of the few that has received this case (spent a lot of money on shipping) and I know there are a lot of people out there waiting for this case! Thanks. :cool:

Have you been able to find one with the white shell. Everywhere I look, they are out of stock. I'm holding out for a white one!!!!

Rknyc
May 1, 2011, 04:13 PM
IMO, the Belkin Snap Shield along with the Smart Cover of your choice fits this bill. I do not have an issue with the Smart Cover falling off or coming off easily. The upcoming Incipio Smart Feather may be another option since it will match your smart cover of choice color, and may make it harder to take off (still unconfirmed).

As for full cases with integrated front and back, the Marware Microshell Folio might work as well, but IMO it does not fit #3.

Where can you find the Snap Shield?

3goldens
May 1, 2011, 04:13 PM
Belkin snap shield for iPad 2. best overall protection, look for the thread!

sotie
May 1, 2011, 05:34 PM
Where can you find the Snap Shield?

Best Buy.

cwerdna
May 2, 2011, 09:17 PM
My needs are very similar to the OP except that auto wakeup and sleep aren't that important to me but I do want something that helps protect the top and bottom better than most cases. I couldn't care less about dock compatibility.

- Sene Ultraslim to protect all iPad when travel. It's also acts like a base for you iPad when in use. (or you can buy a thin film to protect the rear)

I'm using above recommended and happy because Sena is slim and light and look great
It seems really expensive for a slipcase. $60 for that? That's on top of the $40 for a Smart Cover?
Take a look at STM (http://www.amazon.com/STM-Skinny-Case-iPad2-dp-2189-01/dp/B004TGQGP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1304026054&sr=8-1).
I looked into that but it leaves the top and bottom very unprotected. No thanks.

I'm not sure about the thickness of http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/macally-dualstand-2-case-with-stand-for-ipad-2/, but that's closer to something I might want other than the horrible color scheme and glossy plastic (that might be prone to scratching).

C0bra K0mmander
May 5, 2011, 05:34 PM

Any way you can provide us with pics of your ipad with the case?? Im close to pulling the trigger to get this cause I'm tired of the Switcheasy Canvas being on back order.

Lindalou
May 5, 2011, 05:38 PM
My ifrogz Summit is going to be delivered Monday according to UPS. I'll take pics for you!

C0bra K0mmander
May 5, 2011, 05:50 PM
My ifrogz Summit is going to be delivered Monday according to UPS. I'll take pics for you!

Thanks! I just placed my order (black/black) before they run out

Lindalou
May 5, 2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks! I just placed my order (black/black) before they run out

They have some additional pics up on their blog. It looks really cool. I like how you don't have to snap it out of the shell to get it to prop up. I don't like the covers that fold like a smart cover, they just don't work well on a lap, much rather have a flat surface with slots like the Summit.

jmdaniel
May 6, 2011, 09:57 AM
Just ordered a black one, after giving up on my Switch Easy Canvas order. ;)

itsjustmeee
May 6, 2011, 10:39 AM

Yeah it does stay that way if you want to. I have this case and it's unbelievably thin. If I just want to look at something quickly on the ipad, I fold the cover back all the way behind and hold it there. If I'm going to be using the ipad for a longer period of time, I just fold it back, put the tab in the slot in the back and the cover is very securely held out of the way ..... it can't be any easier than that.

An0nym0us
May 6, 2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah it does stay that way if you want to. I have this case and it's unbelievably thin. If I just want to look at something quickly on the ipad, I fold the cover back all the way behind and hold it there. If I'm going to be using the ipad for a longer period of time, I just fold it back, put the tab in the slot in the back and the cover is very securely held out of the way ..... it can't be any easier than that.

what slot in the back are u putting the cover in? when i see pictures of the case i cant seem to see what u speak of. a picture or something would be great :)

itsjustmeee
May 6, 2011, 11:11 AM
what slot in the back are u putting the cover in? when i see pictures of the case i cant seem to see what u speak of. a picture or something would be great :)

http://www.radtech.us/Products/stm-skinny-ipad-case-with-stand.aspx

Look at the 2nd to the last pic. That slot is really inconspicuous and it not only holds the front cover in place for the 2 different viewing angles (as shown) but also holds it all the way back and out of the way so it's not dangling around.

An0nym0us
May 6, 2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.radtech.us/Products/stm-skinny-ipad-case-with-stand.aspx

Look at the 2nd to the last pic. That slot is really inconspicuous and it not only holds the front cover in place for the 2 different viewing angles (as shown) but also holds it all the way back and out of the way so it's not dangling around.

2 different viewing angles? i thought there was only one. also does the cover lay flat on the back when it's stuck there cause the only way i can see one sticking it to the back is by the one viewing anlgle?

itsjustmeee
May 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
2 different viewing angles? i thought there was only one. also does the cover lay flat on the back when it's stuck there cause the only way i can see one sticking it to the back is by the one viewing anlgle?

No, 2 different angles. That one pic shows it standing all the way up, but if you turn the ipad around, it's propped up just a bit for typing ..... it basically acts just like the smart cover does. And yes, it lays completely flat. This thing is that this cover is REALLY thin .... all parts of it. There's a huge thread here in the accessories forum that I suggest you take a look at.

jmdaniel
May 6, 2011, 01:47 PM
The iFrogz Summit is available for $36.90 from Vebee right now, with normal shipping charges. Cancelled my order with iFrogz, and went with the reseller for a pretty decent savings.

cwerdna
May 6, 2011, 08:12 PM
The iFrogz Summit is available for $36.90 from Vebee right now, with normal shipping charges. Cancelled my order with iFrogz, and went with the reseller for a pretty decent savings.
I'm a little wary of ordering a case that seems to have no reviews yet and from a retailer I've never heard of until this forum. They have no score at http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Vebee either.

Can anyone here point to anything that would convince me to not wait before ordering?

jmdaniel
May 6, 2011, 08:58 PM
I'm a little wary of ordering a case that seems to have no reviews yet and from a retailer I've never heard of until this forum. They have no score at http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Vebee either.

Can anyone here point to anything that would convince me to not wait before ordering?

Kinda sounds like you're already convinced to not order, and you're looking for something to get you to order.

The case is brand new, which explains the lack of reviews. As far as the reseller, they processed my order an hour after I placed it, and stated they would get me the tracking number as soon as it was available. That's more than I got on the Marware and Switch Easy cases I tried to buy, but you have to decide for yourself.