PDA

View Full Version : best case/stand for typing on a table

jmthigpen
Apr 29, 2011, 03:06 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys know of an excellent stand/case for typing on an iPad 2 on table in landscape mode.

is the smart cover the best option?

update - typing on the iPad screen, not a bluetooth keyboard.

tirnszw
Apr 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
I love my aesthetic Element Case Black Joule Chroma stand. So I recommend it.

It is beautiful (matte black finish, which looks better than previous anodized black version I had for iPad 1), simple, versatile (three angles with magnetically attached leg) and very stable. It came with sturdy carrying case, too. Only con is the price. Note that it works with bare iPad only (My iPad is absolutely naked! I only use a sleeve on the go.). :cool:

I've also used jadu skadoosh stand, which can tilt at multiple angles with touch of a button. It can accommodate iPad with some popular cases. It is also stable and sturdy (does not wobble). Only con is that it is somewhat bulky to carry.

Twelve south compass looks like the most reasonable choice and it is the most portable iPad stand that looks stylish and functional. However compass stand does not hold onto iPad firmly like Joule and Skadoosh thus it may wobble when typing.

All three are excellent choices. Choose the one that works for you.

Xultar
Apr 29, 2011, 06:09 PM
OMG that compass thing? That little easel I hate that thing. OMG I'd rather just stick a book of post-it notes up under the thing and call it a day.

The book/moleskin cases are perfect for typing. I think they all have a pretty good angle. But that Compass is a waste of money. And it is HEAVY so if you are gonna keep it around the house then I guess but for carrying your ipad places it is way to heavy. Plus you gotta take it from the pouch open it and set it up and stuff...it wobbles.

Am I the only one who hates that thing? Great idea but not worth it.

tirnszw
Apr 30, 2011, 01:12 PM
OMG that compass thing? That little easel I hate that thing. OMG I'd rather just stick a book of post-it notes up under the thing and call it a day.

The book/moleskin cases are perfect for typing. I think they all have a pretty good angle. But that Compass is a waste of money. And it is HEAVY so if you are gonna keep it around the house then I guess but for carrying your ipad places it is way to heavy. Plus you gotta take it from the pouch open it and set it up and stuff...it wobbles.

Am I the only one who hates that thing? Great idea but not worth it.

Just a follow-up:

I don't hate Compass but I agree that Compass wobbles when typing. It is precarious and annoying. It may be good for casual use on the go as it can be folded into a size of a pen but, Smart Cover at typing angle is good enough for the most people.

What Joule and Skadoosh offer is to provide stable typing experience at multiple desired angles with iPad at both portrait and landscape orientations. Both stands are extremely durable, functional, aesthetically made of aluminum and made to last for a very long time. You get the money's worth. They are the best on the desktop.

Cases weren't for me because of added bulk and weight. I hate anything covering gadget when using, not even some skins and screen protectors (just my personal preference). ;)