Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kato C.

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Great White North
JFreak said:
well, torvalds is a clever man. he is after all a finn :)

A very well-off Finn.
I liked his quote at the end of the article:
"Oh, and part of it is that I got the machine for free," said Torvalds, "I'm really a technology whore." :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
What's the point of running Linux on a Mac? Good quality commodity hardware can make a Linux box at least as good and more cost-effective; and on Mac hardware, MacOS X has advantages over Linux (it's more stable for one, and will run MacOS software). Buying a Mac and getting rid of the OS seems like buying an expensive sports car and replacing the engine with one from a family sedan.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
One word as to why Mac Linux is a serious endeavor: Xserve.

Linus may be using a Power Mac, but the same software will run on the Xserve, a comparatively cheap fast 1U server.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I remember the early days working for a dialup ISP company. They used old Intel 486s running Linux. Running Linux on powerful hardware such as PMs and Xserves, imagine the uses for such machines.

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
Lacero said:
Buying a Mac and getting rid of the OS seems like buying an expensive sports car and replacing the engine with one from a family sedan.

Actually...taking a volvo bodywork and put it on a rolls would be more accurate; it's still the best engineering money can buy (at least that's what the people that buy one say) and the new body is nice as well...but you have nothing left to show off :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Lacero said:
I remember the early days working for a dialup ISP company. They used old Intel 486s running Linux. Running Linux on powerful hardware such as PMs and Xserves, imagine the uses for such machines.

Imagine a 286 running Linux... wonder how much use it would be? Hmmm.....

Anyway, at least the $$$ went to Apple even if he didn't personally fork 'em over. :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Abstract said:
Well he's using a PM because he got it for free, and not because its the sexiest machine on the planet. Its not really a compliment to Apple now, is it. :eek:

SILENCE!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Mechcozmo said:

Anyway, at least the $$$ went to Apple even if he didn't personally fork 'em over. :D
From what I know about Linux, a PowerMac 7200/75 would be a fine machine to put Linux on, and I happen to have one of those at home. Heck, if you could compile Linux for 68k, you could probably get Linux to run well in text-only mode on any of the 68k Macs.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Mechcozmo said:

zero actually, as linux has not been compiled for 16bit hardware and i guess it never will. an old 386 however performs nicely.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
748s said:
yes, but not even torvalds comes close to the greatest finn of all time.......Aki Kaurismaki.

well... kaurismäki is a creative person whereas torvalds is a techie... you just cannot compare the two ;) although, torvalds is creative in tehcnology and kaurismäki is technical in creativity, so maybe you can after all :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
JFreak said:
zero actually, as linux has not been compiled for 16bit hardware and i guess it never will. an old 386 however performs nicely.

Well then, I guess that answers my question. Now, to FIND a 386.... almost easier to find an old PIII nowadays than something older IMO.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i thought that Linus had been using Mac's for a while now. at leas way before the start of this year? :confused:

well i remember reading or hearing something about it at least 5 or 6 months ago...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cb911 said:
i thought that Linus had been using Mac's for a while now. at leas way before the start of this year? :confused:

well i remember reading or hearing something about it at least 5 or 6 months ago...
Of course he used Macs to test Linux on PPC...he just didn't have one as his primary machine at the time. Now he does...or at least that's what I believe to be the case.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Mechcozmo said:
Well then, I guess that answers my question. Now, to FIND a 386.... almost easier to find an old PIII nowadays than something older IMO.

Easy, take a plane trip to any chinese city, grab a shovel and head for the tip. That's where they all went to die, after the gold and components had been stripped from the circuit boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.