PDA

View Full Version : Lion wont boot after failed update

insomniac321123
Apr 29, 2011, 07:18 PM
I tried installing the update today. During the installation it stalled and hung at "moving items into place". After a couple hours, I forcibly shut down the computer. Now it will not boot. I can get into the gray screen but it hangs there and wont progress. I have tried booting into safe mode (holding shift). The loading bar comes up, it makes it about a quarter of the way and reverts to no loading bar and a spinning indicator. Before I reformat and reinstall, is there anything I can try? I have a SL partition on the same disk, so I have access to the lion disk.

And before anyone asks, I do have a backup, its not a huge deal to reinstall, it would just be simpler to fix it.

wpotere
Apr 29, 2011, 07:35 PM
Disregard

jake4ever
Apr 29, 2011, 07:36 PM
I tried installing the update today. During the installation it stalled and hung at "moving items into place". After a couple hours, I forcibly shut down the computer. Now it will not boot. I can get into the gray screen but it hangs there and wont progress. I have tried booting into safe mode (holding shift). The loading bar comes up, it makes it about a quarter of the way and reverts to no loading bar and a spinning indicator. Before I reformat and reinstall, is there anything I can try? I have a SL partition on the same disk, so I have access to the lion disk.

And before anyone asks, I do have a backup, its not a huge deal to reinstall, it would just be simpler to fix it.

I had to reset my entire computer.

insomniac321123
Apr 29, 2011, 08:37 PM
I was able to salvage the instal by booting into SL and finding the .pkg called "lionswupdate.pkg" in the updates folder of the root library. I ran it in SL and selected the lion partition as the target. I am back up and running.

daneoni
Apr 29, 2011, 09:28 PM
I was able to salvage the instal by booting into SL and finding the .pkg called "lionswupdate.pkg" in the updates folder of the root library. I ran it in SL and selected the lion partition as the target. I am back up and running.

Could you provide the exact file path to this pkg file because there is no such pkg in my updates folder. Mine updated successfully but simply refuses to boot. It freezes at the Apple logo spinning gears screen and the gears just stop spinning and fans ramp up.

Edit: Nevermind. Just gonna nuke the entire partition. Twas fun whilst it lasted.

alexryans
Apr 30, 2011, 05:41 AM
Exact same issue here. Are you, by any chance. using a 2011 MBP? My iMac's updated fine, but I get this issue only on my MBP.

I've tried reinstalling DP2 and then upgrading to the new build twice now and get the same issue - only way I can get around it is to completely reinstall DP2, but not install last night's update.

It's so frustrating, because everything feels snappier and more responsive on my iMac - I'd love it on my MBP.

daneoni
Apr 30, 2011, 06:35 AM
^
I am

alexryans
Apr 30, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hmmm...I wonder if it's incompatible with 2011 MBPs, then. I have friends who have 09/10 MBPs and the update has installed with no issues for them.

The only thing that's making me reserve judgement on its incompatibility is Apple pushing it out to '11 MBPs and not making any comments in the 'About This Update...' section of the Software Update. It seems very lax on their part.

tourada
Apr 30, 2011, 09:59 AM
Same thing for MB 2009. Had to reinstall Lion and right now I won't update until it is resolved.

insomniac321123
May 1, 2011, 12:58 AM
I am using a MBP as my main machine.

TheralSadurns
May 1, 2011, 03:41 AM
Same issue here...
2011 MBP. DP2 ran fine. The first DP2 Update did also work w/o a flaw. Just applying the last update destroyed and the Book freezes during the boot process as stated above.
Gonna reinstall DP2...
Really kind of lame this issue... but hell...it's a Dev Preview... things like that can happen...

alexryans
May 1, 2011, 11:00 AM
Just to chime back in on this one - as with the previous poster, the first update to DP2 worked flawlessly for me too. I wonder how/if we'll know when Apple fix the download...?

Yamcha
May 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
I had the same problem, I had to format and install again :P.. Not going to bother with the update yet..

Fishrrman
May 1, 2011, 09:33 PM
I was experiencing the same problems as others after installing DP3.

That is, installation seemed ok, UNTIL it got to to "moving items into place" after which it hung.

I forced a restart, and ended up with the grey screen and spinning gear.

I followed insomniac321123's suggestion:
- rebooted to Snow Leopard
- opened the root Library folder
- opened the Updates folder and located the "lionswupdate.pkg"
Note: it was located in a folder named "041-0870"
The pathway is (root)/Library/Updates/041-0870/lionswupdate.pkg
- double-clicked that, re-ran the installer app.
- this time, when it got to the "moving items into place" segment, the task finished (in relatively short time) and I received "the installation was successful".

After this, I was able to restart and get a "good boot" to 10.7 build 11A444d.

Other observations:
When I _shut down_ Lion the first time after the update, it seemed to take extra time, with quite a bit of disk activity. I'm going to _guess_ that the problem may be due to files that normally get written at shutdown to be read at the next boot. These would normally be read and pre-loaded before the finder loaded, but could not be, hence the spinning wheel that prevented the finder from loading.

After I finally got a good boot after running the procedure above, and Lion corrected whatever it needed to correct at shutdown, subsequent shutdowns are "normal" again.

daneoni
May 1, 2011, 09:38 PM
^
2011 mbp?

insomniac321123
May 1, 2011, 11:42 PM
I was experiencing the same problems as others after installing DP3.

That is, installation seemed ok, UNTIL it got to to "moving items into place" after which it hung.

I forced a restart, and ended up with the grey screen and spinning gear.

I followed insomniac321123's suggestion:
- rebooted to Snow Leopard
- opened the root Library folder
- opened the Updates folder and located the "lionswupdate.pkg"
Note: it was located in a folder named "041-0870"
The pathway is (root)/Library/Updates/041-0870/lionswupdate.pkg
- double-clicked that, re-ran the installer app.
- this time, when it got to the "moving items into place" segment, the task finished (in relatively short time) and I received "the installation was successful".

After this, I was able to restart and get a "good boot" to 10.7 build 11A444d.

Other observations:
When I _shut down_ Lion the first time after the update, it seemed to take extra time, with quite a bit of disk activity. I'm going to _guess_ that the problem may be due to files that normally get written at shutdown to be read at the next boot. These would normally be read and pre-loaded before the finder loaded, but could not be, hence the spinning wheel that prevented the finder from loading.

After I finally got a good boot after running the procedure above, and Lion corrected whatever it needed to correct at shutdown, subsequent shutdowns are "normal" again.

This was my experience exactly. I've been out of town, so I haven't been able to post very well.

Thats one of the big perks of having a second, more stable partition. Besides having another OS to fall back on, you still have access to the disk of the problematic OS.

tourada
May 2, 2011, 09:46 AM
For all those having this issue (which seem to be A LOT) send a bug report. Hopefully with enough people having this issue, Apple will release a new software update that actually doesn't crash.

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/RadarWeb.woa/wa/signIn

Update: Bug submitted for Macbook 6,1 but anyone running other hardware that has the same problem should submit a bug report.

Obispo8u
May 3, 2011, 06:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Same problem hung up on install, powered off and stuck on gray apple screen with spinning gear. I'd like to keep Lion, but am OK with SN L in the alternative.

I am a rookie. No partition. Possible backup on an external hard drive. I have the SN L disc but want a work around.

If I do a full reinstall with SN L will I lose my iTunes?

I can get in through the disk utility, can I do anything from there?

Please help and excuse my ignorance.

Evan

Obispo8u
May 3, 2011, 06:40 AM
I believe I do have a backup from 10 Apr that is a Lion back-up. Can I restore to that point and then partition and reinstall snow leopard?

I want to be able to boot to either.

Thanks

daneoni
May 6, 2011, 03:32 PM
I found a temporary workaround for 2011 MBP owners. After doing the latest update, boot in SL and navigate to the Update folder mentioned above and delete the ProductMetadata.plist file. Then reboot and the Lion should boot as per normal

Note that you'll have to do this every time you want to boot Lion which is strange but there you go. I'm typing this from the latest build of Lion on a 2011 MBP.

deanrr
May 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
I was having the same problem, moving the plist didn't help, but moving IO80211Family.kext out of the extensions folder has let me boot.

deanrr
May 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
Even after updating to the latest update released last night, it wont boot if IO80211Family.kext is in the Extensions folder, booting hangs on

Created virtif 0xffffff80144b4e00 p2p0

alexryans
May 14, 2011, 02:02 AM
Moving the .plist didn't help me, either. Booting still hung on 'the wheel'. I tried installing the update again via my SL partition, but that was a no-go, either. I'm going to try this extensions thing and see if it makes any difference. I really hope so, because I'm running DP3 on my iMac and it's amazing!

alexryans
May 14, 2011, 03:03 AM
Moving the .kext out of the Extensions folder worked like a charm for me, but my WiFi won't work and it won't let me re-install the .kext!
I'm just updating to DP3 on my 2011 MBP now, so I'll see if that solves the problem.

At least I can boot into 10.7 now, so that's one good thing - last hurdle now is to get WiFi working once again.

Atarikid
May 14, 2011, 12:45 PM
Yes, removing the IO80211Family.kext does let me boot also (MBP early 2011)
No WiFi though. Strange this isn't fixed with DP3. This is a very obvious bug imo

BTW Is it just me or ... but Lion DP3 is not working smooth (graphically I mean). Everything is not 'snappy' compared to SL.

alexryans
May 14, 2011, 01:06 PM
Finally got everything working perfectly under DP3 - I followed the whole 'get rid of IO80211Family.kext' scenario and managed to boot into DP2, Update 2 and then into DP3.

I then used "Kext Helper" (http://cheetha.net/) to reinstall the .kext, rebooted, and everything worked like a charm. Hope this helps someone!

Atarikid
May 14, 2011, 01:31 PM
Finally got everything working perfectly under DP3 - I followed the whole 'get rid of IO80211Family.kext' scenario and managed to boot into DP2, Update 2 and then into DP3.

I then used "Kext Helper" (http://cheetha.net/) to reinstall the .kext, rebooted, and everything worked like a charm. Hope this helps someone!

Does your Airport work again? (WiFi)

omnikohh
May 14, 2011, 01:43 PM

what kext? IO from dp2?

alexryans
May 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yup - WiFi now works exactly as normal after reinstalling 'IO80211Family.kext' via Kext Helper.

unrealmatt3
May 14, 2011, 03:31 PM
So I am trying to update to DP3 but every time I download the update it will tell me i need to restart and it tries to install and it hangs on moving files like everyone says but then it restarts by it self and it just goes back to DP2 then i tried it where it download it and didn't restart the computer and i was going to boot in SL but i looked in the library/updates folder and only the Productmetadata.plist file was there but when it was downloading i saw everything but once it finishes everything disappears kind of weird. Any thoughts?

omnikohh
May 14, 2011, 04:15 PM
ok guys, solution is install dp2 then update 1 & 2 ... if problems with boot in dp2 update 2 follow this:

- enter in single user mode (cmd + s before of grey screen)
-mount lion volume and delete IO80211Family.kext (rm -r IO....kext)
- After reboot Lion start then install with next helper IO80211... from dp2 original

- Reboot
-WiFi now works
- Update to dp3 , restart and same step and repeat previous step for IO80211...

- Restart and you are in dp3 with wifi work ;)
Enjoy

codymac
May 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
So I am trying to update to DP3 but every time I download the update it will tell me i need to restart and it tries to install and it hangs on moving files like everyone says but then it restarts by it self and it just goes back to DP2 then i tried it where it download it and didn't restart the computer and i was going to boot in SL but i looked in the library/updates folder and only the Productmetadata.plist file was there but when it was downloading i saw everything but once it finishes everything disappears kind of weird. Any thoughts?

I had the same issue on a 2011 MBP. No issues with WiFi, but it would always reboot with DP2 running after the update.

I ended up booting back to 10.6.7, downloading the updater, and running it (under 10.6.7) against a 10.7 DP2 partition. When I rebooted to 10.7, DP3 was installed.

Google for the direct link to download the DP3 updater that Software Update downloads. It will save you the trouble of having to "catch" it on disk.

Atarikid
May 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
OK, I messed up my IO80211Family.kext of SL when doing some testing (my own fault).

Before installing SL again on my first partition, I installed Lion on the first partition.
Guess what ... everything worked without any issues. All updates unto DP3 worked with no hassle.
Previously, I installed Lion on an external HD or on a second partition of my MBP hd. I always struggled to install the second update of DP2.

Installing Lion on my first partition solved all issues. I am now running DP3 and it seems to run smoothly.

Atarikid
May 15, 2011, 04:24 AM
Bummer .. after 3 times booting it stops again at boot.
Removing the IO80211Family.kext it works again (but without WiFi).

Strange ...

alexryans
May 15, 2011, 08:33 AM
^^ Same here - I just did the .kext Helper procedure again and have everything running smoothly again.

JohnnyBee
Apr 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hello all,

I too am using a 2011 MBP and have been having trouble upgrading to Lion. My computer failed to restart once it tried to reboot itself during the install process.

I managed to get around the problem by using the following start-up keys:

Command-Option-P-R Reset Parameter RAM (PRAM) and non-volatile RAM (NVRAM)

My MBP then proceeded to the install page and rebooted without any problems.

Hope this helps.