PDA

View Full Version : Macbook RAM on iBookG4

macdatadrive
Apr 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
I have some original RAM from the Original MacBook. Could I use this in an iBook G4?
Wanna keep the old thing alive.
Thanks!

AlphaDogg
Apr 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
Nope, sorry. The iBook G4 uses PC-333 laptop RAM (IIRC, I sold my iBook G4 1GB RAM stick to a user on here) while the MacBook uses either DDR2 (PC2-8500) RAM. Plus, the physical pin layout on MacBook RAM is different than the physical pin layout on iBook RAM.

macdatadrive
Apr 30, 2011, 02:39 AM
Oh well. Guess it's 256mb for this old thing. Thanks anyway. Could I use a MacBook Hard Drive?

AdrianK
Apr 30, 2011, 02:51 AM
Also no. iBook HDDs are IDE, and MacBooks (back to 1,1) use SATA, unless there's room for an adaptor or something.

macdatadrive
Apr 30, 2011, 02:53 AM
Well that's two bits of bad news in one day. Oh well... it'll have to make do.

Bloodstar
Apr 30, 2011, 05:36 AM
You can use your MacBook's HD, just not as an internal... only an external.

If you have a proper enclosure (Remember, MacBook HDs are SATA, iBooks are IDE!) you can use it over USB or FireWire.

As for RAM, though, you're out of luck. Gotta grab up a 1GB stick of DDR, which is unfortunately expensive. A 512 would also help, in a pinch.

macdatadrive
Apr 30, 2011, 06:32 AM
How can I connect it as an external drive?

AlphaDogg
Apr 30, 2011, 05:52 PM
Gotta grab up a 1GB stick of DDR, which is unfortunately expensive.

Awww :( I sold my old 1GB iBook DDR RAM for $27 on here to a user... Whatever.. The iBook doesn't get any use, so it's kind of "free money" for me.

Also to connect a MacBook HDD externally, you would have to get an enclosure, like this (http://www.amazon.com/Acomdata-Tango-FireWire400-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B001Y15JPA) one. It has both FireWire and USB, so you can boot off of it. PowerPC Macs, such as your iBook could only boot off of FireWire.

Bloodstar
Apr 30, 2011, 08:57 PM
Awww :( I sold my old 1GB iBook DDR RAM for $27 on here to a user... Whatever.. The iBook doesn't get any use, so it's kind of "free money" for me.

27's a pretty good deal! It looks like it'll set me back 41.99 from OWC, if I decide to buy it there... going to scope around and see if there's anything cheaper, first. (Hell, I only have 768MB thanks to my old laptop using the same RAM as the iBook...)