Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Hi!

I noticed something interesting and can not determine if it's an 'effect' or a 'defect". When I leave my MacBook Air 11' (10.6.6) on for 30 sec (on battery power) and does not touch anything it's screen goes dim and than after additional 90 sec it sleeps the display (default settings - 2 min sleep for LCD).
But...if I move a mouse or touch a key or trackpad when the display is dim (before it sleeps) it 'comes back' to the previous(normal) state and will not dim the display again in 30 sec. Than LCD stays on until 115 sec then dims and sleeps at 120 sec.

So is there some timer for 30 sec dim? I mean if I touch it when it goes dim it will not dim for a second time until 115 sec when it goes sleep. I can not repeat this 30 sec dimming process more than once in approximately 5 mins or it depends on something else...like what programs I use or something...

Can you try this and tell me if you can do it 2 times in a row? Is it an 'effect' (in a way that Air 'knows' that if I touch something after it dims the display - I am likely working on something and do not want it to go dim again in such a short time) or a 'defect'?

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
In the time you spent "testing", you could have just turned it off. Look under Energy Pref Pane.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
In the time you spent "testing", you could have just turned it off. Look under Energy Pref Pane.

That option does not answer my question: Should it dim after each 30 seconds or weather there is a more complicated schedule... It either goes dim after 30 sec of inactivity or 5 sec before LCD sleep...

macaddict3

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
umm maybe if u have time bring it to apple store to have a look to be sure and tell them what is happening. they will probably offer a solution maybe software/hardware issue

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
umm maybe if u have time bring it to apple store to have a look to be sure and tell them what is happening. they will probably offer a solution maybe software/hardware issue

So you think it's not ok that Air behaves that way?
I just want to know if other macs act the same...

Sorry for my English if I wrote something not wery clear and correctly... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.