Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
I went to Nanjing last fall for a week with work. I flew into Shanghai and then we drove to Nanjing (4 hours) for the week. It was amazing. Take lots of pictures and have fun! What specifically were you looking to find out?

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
I've been there many times on business: primarily Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, but also Suzhou (beautiful--called the "Venice of China"), Shenzhen, Lijiang (gorgeous), Sanya, Jiu Zhai Guo (a national park/World Heritage Site that rivals anything in the North American West).

Chinese cities are impressive but sometimes a bit overwhelming with the crowding and (in Eastern cities) the extreme pollution. They are not to be missed, but if you get a chance to get out into the more remote, unpopulated areas of the country, you'll see a very different side of China. China can be stunningly beautiful, and it contains about 40 World Heritage Sites that are breathtaking. If your itinerary takes you near any of these, don't miss them!

As English is not as widely spoken as one might hope, getting some local support is always a good idea--a friend, or perhaps a professional guide. This greatly helps to access the culture and enjoy the experience more fully.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
A member is there right now, on a 3-month teaching assignment.

Try doing a site search.

Aww, you're always thinking of me. :p

To the OP, I'm currently in China in the random under-construction town of Xingtai which is 3 hours south of Beijing. Today (May 1st) is national May Day, a holiday where no one works and most business are closed. Tomorrow, a huge sale takes place where all business slash their prices 40%-70%; similar to Black Friday.

It's my second time in China and all I can say this time around is that the trip went by faster than the last.

Between February 20th-ish to March 1st I was hesitant about biting the bullet and purchasing the tickets; perhaps scared to venture to the other side of the world once again. There was uncertainty on the flight to Beijing and more so coming to Xingtai without a job and only a 5-minute job interview, however after being placed in a kick-a$$ mansion with other foreigners I can say its been a great experience. My ping-pong skills have improved and will miss the ease of Chinese life that allowed me to have a beer at noon before teaching a class or not. Back in the U.S. I'll drink perhaps 3-5 times a year, though this trip in China has prompted me to drink almost daily, which is odd for me and am considering the drinking strictly a caveat of the day-to-day Chinese culture and lifestyle.

I'll be in China till May 17th, where I'll then fly out to New York for a few days (to see family), then Toronto, Canada and finally Connecticut to stay with a buddy that I met in Xiaoshan 4 years here in China.

You're gonna have a great time. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.