PDA

View Full Version : Swapping HDD from MDD to Quicksilver?

panther3535
Apr 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
Is it possible to take a HDD from a questionable machine (not sure whether the HD is bad, RAM is bad, or even CPU is bad) install it into a known good machine (a 933mhz Quicksilver), install OSX (10.3), and then take the HDD and put it back into my MDD FW800? The machines are both G4 PowerMacs and they are quite similar in some respects. The FW800 is a slightly better machine with more RAM possible, so I'd rather use it.

Will the hardware differences mess it up? Will the drivers needed just install automatically?

I'm trying to determine if I can salvage the MDD FW800 at all. Each time I start it up, I get a different issue. First was "Panic, hanging here..." message; next (after restart) was no graphics at all; next was grey screen with Apple logo and hanging there; then no graphics again; then "Panic, hanging here..." again; and on and on... each one of these was after a restart.

IIRC, I was in the process of installing an OS about a year ago and had a hardware issue come up in the middle of the install. Some people said I had a RAM issue, others said my CPU was overheating... it was a mystery. But having it crash in the middle of the OS install certainly didn't help matters. It was a great machine up to that day.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Strimkind
May 9, 2011, 12:42 AM
It shouldn't make a difference. A common practice to bypass the Leopard minimum system requirement is to remove the target drive from the intended machine (ie. 733 G4 QS), install into MDD 1.25, install leopard, remove drive and install into the QS again.

I have never heard problems doing that so you should have no problems putting that HD with the current system install into the QS.

It is possible the issue with the MDD is a failing PSU, which is the most common problem with MDD Macs.