PDA

View Full Version : bootcamp help

bootloader
Apr 30, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hi, i would like to know if anyone here successfully got windows 98 running under bootcamp. I must run some old software for research purposes so any help would be appreciated!

I own a late 2009 macbook.

Thanks

tjb1
Apr 30, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hi, i would like to know if anyone here successfully got windows 98 running under bootcamp. I must run some old software for research purposes so any help would be appreciated!

I own a late 2009 macbook.

Thanks

I know in 7 that you can select properties for that program and tell it to run as what system you want. Have you tried that?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 30, 2011, 06:35 PM
Have you tried running Windows 98 as virtual machine (VM) in Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion (both have demos to download) or VirtualBox? Windows 98 software is hardly that demanding, that it needs to run native, I could even run Command & Conquer via VM on my 2007 iMac once or twice.

tjb1
Apr 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
Have you tried running Windows 98 as virtual machine (VM) in Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion (both have demos to download) or VirtualBox? Windows 98 software is hardly that demanding, that it needs to run native, I could even run Command & Conquer via VM on my 2007 iMac once or twice.

THe problem with Windows 98 is getting drivers that are compatible with the new hardware, im assuming this is what the op's question is related to. And I would not use the two paid ones as demos personally. I have only had Parallels but once you install it, it drives itself deep into everything and after uninstalling according to all there documentation I was still finding crap with the || on it and even new files that are Windows like .exe were somehow getting the || badge on it.

bootloader
Apr 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
i did try setting compatibility mode in windows xp, it runs but its sort of buggy and crashes often, i would imagine it would be buggy under windows 7 too.

Parallels and vmware are too expensive for me, virtualbox is free but win98 runs very slowly and doesnt support guest additions, not to mention it crashes whenever vt-x is enabled

any other ideas? :)

tjb1
Apr 30, 2011, 06:43 PM
i did try setting compatibility mode in windows xp, it runs but its sort of buggy and crashes often, i would imagine it would be buggy under windows 7 too.

Parallels and vmware are too expensive for me, virtualbox is free but win98 runs very slowly and doesnt support guest additions, not to mention it crashes whenever vt-x is enabled

any other ideas? :)

Only thing would be to try it under 7, quite a time period between XP and 7 so the compatibility mode is probably a lot more stable.

bootloader
Apr 30, 2011, 07:20 PM
but windows 7 is even more expensive than parallels/vmware :/

am i right to assume i would be able to boot windows 98 boot floppy using a usb floppy driver?